“Terrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Hong kong
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were a party of 9 celebrating my husband's birthday. I rang the night before to confirm the numbers. Upon arriving at the hotel we were ushered out of the bar area, then told the table was for 8 only and made to feel embarrassed and that it 'was a big problem' and we were left standing there. I explained I called the night before, was ignored and no apology was made.
We were then stuck in a table at the end of the dining room, waited a long time to order our food and getting any wine was an impossibility. Service is a joke here, it's a shame as the food is very good.
Where was the restaurant manager? Nobody seemed to be in overall charge, shambolic and unprofessional. They are very lucky that there is no other competition in the area. Don't bother.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to celebrate my fathers 80th Birthday, location and views excellent, you do get some odd entertainment, from people walking past on the prom and looking into the restaurant !
The sun can be blinding through the windows, maybe some blinds may help. It took at least 15 to 20 mins before anybody came to the table to look after us, menu choice was a little limited but interesting. I went for scallops @ £8.95 a bit pricey but it was a special occasion, the scallops were delicious but I would have expected more than TWO!
The wait between courses was unacceptably long and when it came five out of the six meals were only just warm, so we sent them back. We were told it would be. 5 minute wait, it was 35 minutes ! Not the best way to celebrate a special meal.
I must say when it did come the food was very good, again the service was poor we were never asked if we would like further drinks, we always had to call staff over. The deserts and cheese and biscuits were also very good.

I would say that the staff were pleasant but badly trained and poorly managed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Restaurant service a little amateur”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I did not stay at the hotel, as I live in Morecambe, but took two friends to the restaurant. The setting is magnificent, albeit a little warm on a very sunny evening with the views out the windows across the bay stupendous.

The menu was interesting, with some local produce such as potted shrimps. The food was good, albeit fairly expensive for this area, but mostly reasonable value for money. I was however very disappointed that my "Gressingham Duck Breast" turned out to be from either a tiny duck (unlikely) or a small part of a larger duck. Three smallish slices for nearly £17 is not good value for money.

My real problem however is that a restaurant of this price and supposed quality should have professional waiting staff. This is clearly not the case. The staff are willing and friendly, but clearly have not had sufficient training. Particular concerns were leaving dirty cocktail glasses on the table whilst we had our starters, bringing bread before we even ordered cocktails, let alone close to the arrival of starters, no understanding that it was not appropriate with the table in strong direct sunlight to leave the red wine in the centre of the table with no concern as to its temperature.

My daughter and her husband have eaten here before when visiting us and they complained to the manager about the haphazard service. There may have been a slight improvement, but it is still not up to the standard this beautiful situation deserves.

This is clearly a hotel of distinction with an ordinary restaurant, rather than a restaurant of disctinction in its own right (which may explain why it does not appear to be listed separately here).

Lancashire
“Very Avarage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We went for special dinner to celebrate our important evening thinking that there is no better place in our area to do it- so disappointed! It was not all bad but we were expecting really good service and really great food.First impression- lovely view out but restaurant does not seem clean and fresh- I don't know what was it but you just don't feel it. First member of staff was great but then we had 3 other members of staff serving us and it was obvious that they need a lot of training- especially when our juice arraived in dirty glass with red lipstick on!!!!
Food- starter and dessert was nice -nothing to be crazy about but main course-bland and tasteless( chicken more boiled then grilled). The best part of our dinner was background piano music . So it was not bad experience at all but I don't think we will be back again- shame as we have visitors from abroad sometimes and this place could be great for dinning out but not at the moment. They need much stronger management I think.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“A very nice Luncheon with friends.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very happy to have gone to The Midlands with my friends. The weather was very nice to set out after. The service was very good and our lunch was also very good. The Staff was alway very helpful. We do plan on return again.

• Visited May 2013