“first impression should not count” 2 of 5 stars

Glenthorne Private Hotel
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   24-26 West End Rd., Morecambe LA4 4DL, England   |
Ranked #20 of 26 Morecambe B&B and Inns
scotland
“first impression should not count”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

our party booked this hotel on the internet, the website was attractive, the hotel had all that we had asked for.There was twelve of us in this party, on arrival we had a pleasant welcome, our rooms,were clean and tidy, although they were a bit on the small side.we booked this hotel because it had a bar which was later pointed out to us that it was only open when the proprietors felt like opening it. We had three children in this party they were allowed to play pool under continuous supervision by one of the proprietors. they were also allowed to play darts but only until 10.00 oclock at night, the proprietors did not want their children woken up at night. I was always under the beliefe that proprietors did all that they could to make guests welcome, willing to come and go with you, not in this case, they are very much running this hotel to suit their daily life, thus not accomodating their guests. We stayed on the friday night, spent all of saturday shopping returning to the hotel hoping to have a nice relaxing drink in the afternoon, getting out of the wind and rain, the bar was not open at 3.30 in the afternoon, we were told 'A DRINK AT THIS TIME?' this caused quite an upset with our party, voices were raised on our part, eventually we were asked to leave, we were homeless with three children at 5.00 oclock, on a wet and windy afternoon, we would not recommend this hotel to anyone,thankfully we did find somewhere else, but the proprietors of the glenthorn could not have cared less.

• Liked — it was very clean and tidy
  • Disliked — the proprietors did not cater for our needs.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

Overall the hotel was fine,very much like any bed and breakfast (because that was really all it was) in a Northern, rundown ,seaside resort. Staff pretty helpful and O.K, BUT, don't expect to get much sleep or watch television.
Lack of sleep was due to it being very noisy from the bar downstairs and nightlife collapsing out of nearby pubs etc during the early hours. Also, the walls are very thin and we spent our two nights there having to constantly listen to a woman in the next bedroom coughing about every minute.
Also the T.V was very poor because the reception was almost non-existent. It did have a proper aerial lead going into the back of the T.V ,but this didn't help.No point complaining about it as what more could they have done than a proper aerial? Just a poor reception area I guess. Food was good.Proper English breakfast.

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

We stayed for 2 nights and found the rooms to be very clean and tastefully decorated. The en suite was very clean and we had running hot water whatever time of the day or night we showered. The owners were very pleasant and gave us lots of useful information about the surrounding area. The children enjoyed playing a game of pool each morning after breakfast. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices from juice, cereal, toast and a full English cooked breakfast. The experience we had at this hotel was excellent and we shall most certainly stay there again when we visit relatives in that area.
We felt that this hotel was very freindly and a welcoming place where you could relax and unwind. The road in which the hotel is situated seemed to be very quite and well lit up at night. We would like to thank Colin & Rachel, Allan & Judy for an enjoyable stay at the Glenthorne Private Hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

I play for the Lancashire Darts team and was booked in with my wife at the Glenthorne on 3rd December 2005. We turned up at the hotel on the Saturday morning and found it to be locked, so we phoned and left a message on an answerphone to say that we had arrived and could someone give us a ring on our mobile to say when we could check in.
At 6.30pm we had not received a call back so I rang again and the manageress/owner told me that another party from the darts had previously cancelled and our reservation had been cancelled as well. I explained that we had booked seperately and this was obviously an error, however I was told in no uncertain terms that the hotel was full and she put the phone down on me. I tried ringing back but the line was engaged for the next 30 minutes.
Eventually, her husband answered. I asked him why his wife had put the phone down on me. The reply was that the line had gone dead and she was then on the phone to her mother. I asked him if anyone had got the earlier message about us turning up and he acknowledged they had. I then asked him why our call had not been returned on the number given, he replied that they had been out all day. I asked him why his wife did not ring me back when she finished the call to her mother, he replied that the rooms had been cancelled, the hotel was full and that was that. I said I could understand an error being made but could not accept that they did not have the courtesy to give us a call back and I ended up terminating the call. We were basically left in Morecambe on a rainy winters night with no accomodation after speaking to a couple who appear to lack even the basic customer service skills. At the very least they could have offered to contact other hotels on our behalf - but no, they obviously could not care less about our predicament. Book a room at your peril !

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2004

I have just had my 3rd visit to this hotel this year. We enjoyed our stay so much the other times we decided to take a group of our friends. We had an excellent time the best ever. The staff were very friendly and pleasant we didn’t even leave the hotel at nights we had such a great time. Thank you your hotel should be at least a 4 star for the service we got. The food was excellent best breakfast ever. We will defiantly be back next year.

Thank you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2004

My Family stayed for a long weekend here and found the hosts great, friendly and most helpful.
Kids were entertained in the bar area on the dance floor. we could sitback and know the kids were well supervised. The food was excellent, and room was clean and tidy.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2004

We have stayed at the Glenthorne on a number of occasions this year, each time we have found it an excellent experience. The hotel itself needed some tlc from the previous owners neglect but the new owners appear to be working very hard to rectify this. As a vegetarian myself I found the food to be of a very high standard with plenty of choice. The bar was very welcoming as were the staff. They were all very helpful and went out of their way to help. As for the other reveiws that I have read on this site I can only say one thing, behaviour makes behaviour you should treat people as you want them to treat you. We've seen guests at the hotel who have been rude and stroppy, people can only do their best.

Been to Glenthorne Private Hotel? Share your experiences!