“National Treasure.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Auckland Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Morecambe
Auckland Hotel
You added Auckland Hotel to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   312-5 Marine Road | Central Promenade, Morecambe LA4 5AA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Morecambe
Northampton, United Kingdom
“National Treasure.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I, along with my wife & 2 colleagues have just returned from the most enjoyable 2 night break at this hotel. Our trip was for the 2014 Grand National at Aintree as part of a David Urquhart travel break. We arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon to be greeted by Nigel & his team. Check in was extremely swift & efficient, (as I had phoned ahead) we were allocated rooms 116 & 117. There is a lift available but as we were on the 1st floor we carted our luggage up the narrow stair case & found my room, 116, with ease. The door locking system is a bit hit & miss but when I eventually mastered the art of key turning we were delighted to have expansive views over the beautiful bay of Morecambe in a well appointed room consisting of a double bed,an extra single bed, decent television with numerous free-to-view channels, tidy en-suite, ample storage, plenty of tea & coffee as well as 2 chairs in large bay window with those stunning views to boot! We hastily made our way out into Morecambe as time was not on our side to enjoy a few of the local watering holes. We returned too late for dinner which was our plan but were told that the evenings roast beef meal was superb. After a couple more refreshments in the hotels relatively large bar area (pretty pricey in my opinion) hence only 4 stars, it was time to retire. After a night-cap in the room in the bay window, it was time to get some sleep as we had a rather long day ahead at Aintree. Unfortunately, I was awoken in the early hours (01:30) to the sound of a police helicopter hoovering just above the hotel that seemed to be there for an eternity. Eventually after an hour or so, things quietened down & I finished of a decent nights sleep. Breakfast the following morning was hearty enough with a choice of juices & cereals to start, tea, coffee & a varied choice of plated breakfast from full english, poached eggs, scrambled eggs, toast, etc.etc. We returned at around 8pm from the race course with dinner being served at 8:30pm. After a lovely soup starter, my colleague & I plumped for the pork chops with potatoes & veg, this was absolutely amazing, cooked to perfection! My wife & my colleagues partner chose the roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings which was also rated very highly. Desserts were lovely too with, once again, a expansive & varied choice. Fatigue took over after a couple of refreshments in the bar & our beds became too much of a pull! Once again breakfast was of a high quality & the waiting staff were top notch, friendly & not overly attentive. Before we left for home, Nigel addressed us on our coach & thanked us for our custom & wished us all a safe journey home. A lovely little touch, thank you Nigel. Also a big thank you to ALL the team at the Auckalnd for making our stay as comfortable & pleasant as we could have possibly wished for. A wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Phone ahead if you can, room 116 is on the 1st floor with beautiful views through the bay windows ov...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Laura W, Guest Relations Manager at Auckland Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Edzlewis

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of your stay with us. I am glad you had a good stay with us, we had a very fun weekend with you all. It was lovely to meet you and we look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future.

Kind regards
Laura Wood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at the Auckland from 14th to 17th March as part of a group from our local Community Association. We were transferred at the last minute when our original hotel was closed. We were very impressed with the quality of the hotel, our room was large, although at the back, clean, with a good stock of tea and coffee. The food much better than we expected, good breakfast, 3 course dinner with coffee, we can highly recommend the Normandy Pork which we had on Saturday. The bar and evening entertainment were good. We would like to thank the staff for the way they looked after us at such short notice.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room although smaller than the one we had a the back the view is worth it
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Shrub

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that everything was to your satisfaction. We enjoyed meeting you all and look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future.

Kind regards
Laura Wood
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Hi. Iv got today I agree with Barry and can say this as I was the OTHER coach driver.
This hotel was great staff fantasic and we all worked together like a a great team.. And I'm sooo looking forward to being back next new year with my same crowd who nearly all rebooked on there return journey.., passengers decide with there feet and if they rebook there happy.. Happy passengers make happy driver make easy job.. Keep up the good work Jason Nigel and the team.., !!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just want a write a few lines in response to a previous review of this hotel.
I had the pleasure of visiting the Auckland for this New Years Celebration Break.
I was a passenger on another organised break staying also on the second floor.
My room was, although at the rear of the hotel, perfectly adequate for my needs. It was spotlessly clean, spacious with a super walk-in wet-room/bathroom. The room was serviced daily with a plentiful supply of refreshments, maintained every day.
The food served every day was delicious, well presented with a great number of choices available even for very fussy eaters like myself!
I often asked for seconds as it was really very good.
The Manager Nigel, was very courteous, professional and always visible.
The evening entertainment was enjoyable as were the NewYear party games in which most if not all of the other guests joined in...
This was my first trip of this kind over an obviously very busy period and so didn't know quite what to expect. However i had one of the best new year celebrations I've had for years and most certainly will be at The Auckland again this year.
I seem to remember there were two large groups, both organised Coach Trips, one from the Midlands and mine, from Chris Cooper Travel in the North East.
What was great was the fact that both groups joined in together and I'm sure friendships were gained.
The Auckland is beautifully situated on the lovely promenade looking out to see, although we were there in December, I'm certain it would be even better in the summer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhyl, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have recently returned from the "New Year" package at this hotel. We stayed in room number 211. Unfortunately there were a combination of matters which made for a very disappointing and bad experience. The package was organised by a coach holiday business and their representative was less than helpful in resolving the issues. These included broken floorboards in the room, to which an emergency temporary repair (not entirely successful) had to be made. Diplomatically putting it, the plumbing was unpredictable, rendering the shower unusable for the whole of the stay. The toilet roll holder cover was broken and had been wedged into place by a piece of folded toilet paper, the ensuuite waste bin was broken, the room heating was uncontrollable, and so on. This was reported to the member of staff on housekeeping the first morning and nothing was done. The food was average to poor and one waitress at News Years Eve luncheon was rude and offensive to my wife and myself. We received a weak and insincere apology at the end of our stay and we should have gone home after the first morning. The final straw came when we discovered by accident the final night a stained mattress cover beneath the sheet on our bed with what appeared to be a human faeces stain that had not been laundered. We will not be wasting our money again with either the organising business or this hotel.

Room Tip: Never accept a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

The aukland is a very good well run hotel.as a coach driver the staff and management always make passengers and drivers feel welcome and look after us well.the food is excellent and the staff are very helpful.the rooms are clean and comfortable. On the whole a great place to stay in a good location overlooking Morecambe Bay. Rob yeomans travel

• Stayed October 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here as part of a 4night stay on coach tour with Eclipse Breaks,rooms very small and cramped only suitable for singles,food good but service very slow not enough staff to deal with a coach party of 42 very well situated on Morecambe sea front but that's all

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Auckland Hotel? Share your experiences!