“Superb rooms, great views, fabulous food.” 5 of 5 stars

The Midland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marine Road West, Morecambe LA4 4BU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Morecambe
Barrow-in-Furness
“Superb rooms, great views, fabulous food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked this hotel to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary. We were amazed at the superb room - we booked a sea view feature room and it had sliding balcony doors that effectively gave an open view floor to ceiling and wall to wall of the whole Morecambe Bay area. We moved our beautiful contoured seats out onto the deep balcony and sat with our feet up watching the world go by with views, across the water, of the Lake District mountains.

The food was delicious from starter to sweet and the wine list was priced by group so for instance 4 bottles of red were £19 then four or five at £21, four or five at £23 and so on. I've never seen that done before but found it very helpful.

The staff were extremely friendly and all in all it was a memorable time for all the right reasons.

One negative - no swimming pool. Leaisure facilities are available at Lancaster House hotel but that's quite a drive away so we didn't bother. We are members at DW so next time we'll head there - just down the road.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear howard_leroy

Thank you for a great review of your stay at The Midland, and congratulations from all the team on your 42nd anniversary.
I was pleased to read that your stay was enjoyable and hope to welcome you back soon.

1,236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great place to stay and not just for fans of Art Deco. Fantastic views over Morecambe Bay, even our rooms, booked as not having sea views did in fact enable you to glimpse the sea. I wish we could have stayed longer but we were just breaking our journey north. The staff were helpful and attentive and the breakfasts good, but we didn't eat any other meals there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Margarita9

Thank you for a great review of your stay at The Midland.
I hope to welcome you back soon - perhaps for a slightly longer visit?

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We got married at The Midland at the end of June 2013 and from our first visit until we left on the Sunday the whole experience was fantastic.
Nothing was too much for the staff and our wedding planners Vicky and Lee accommodated our every request, including a BBQ for 120 guests which we since found out is a new one for a wedding!
The hotel is beautiful and all our guests raved about the decor, food and staff.
From the spa to the bar, reception to housekeeping everyone greeted us with a smile and seemed to know who we were (even when we weren't in our wedding attire!).
The rooms are amazing and many a tour of the honeymoon suite was requested, its a shame we didn't have time to use the hot tub - we'll just have to come back, soon.
Thank you again, a truly unforgettable day for us and our guests.

• Stayed June 2013
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear kate_bindotti

Thank you for a fantastic review of your wedding and stay last weekand and, once again, congratulations from all the team here at The Midland.
I will share your kind comments with Vicky and Lee in particular and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dudley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Fantastic hotel, so pleased they've rescued it from falling into complete dereliction.
I've always wanted to stay there since I was a tiny child, now I have & I'm so pleased it was so much better than expected.
The rooms were spacious, clean, well decorated, every facility one could need.
Next time I'm hoping to sample the Spa treatments.
If you want a nice quiet break in lots of luxury you won't go wrong by booking this hotel.
Great value for money, food fantastic, breakfast freshly done & totally delicious.
Huge bathroom so very disabled friendly to access everything in a wheelchair.
Only one down side is the shower is over the bath but bath amost sunken so it should be easy enough to get in & out.
Make a date to stay there for a relaxing & calm stay.
Staff so helpful & will be happy to help & assist you.
Fabulous thank you

• Stayed July 2013
Dear starwheels

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Midland.
I was pleased to read that this long-awaited trip was enjoyable and hope to welcome you back soon.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

worth seeing this iconic thirties hotel , views over bay fantastic on good day . however staying for dinner was'nt up to expectations , food and service could have been better , value for money poor ! Janet 1st July 2013

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear 5JanetR

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to The Midland.
I was sorry to read that you found your dinner disappointing - although you unfortunately don't provide any more information so that I can address your concerns, rest assured I will continue to monitor all guest feedback.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed for one night at the Midland hotel. Got a very friendly welcome and help with our luggage which was especially welcome as the lifts were out of action and we were on the third floor. Worth the three flights of stairs however - the room was spacious with a fabulous outlook over the bay. Floor to ceiling windows opened out onto a small terrace which would have been fantastic in the sunshine - unfortunately the skies were grey during our stay. The room was very thoughtfully put together - walk in shower and separate bath where you could enjoy the view whilst soaking, comfortable bed and good bedlinen, two ergonomic chairs which were super comfy, large tv and good tea selection and biccies. Only real improvement suggestion would be slightly more shelf space in the bathroom and bedside table area. The hotel building itself is art deco and stylish with the public areas all in keeping with this; the rooms are more modern but equally stylish. Staff were friendly and enthusiastic. The only thing that lets the hotel down is its location. Morecambe has seen better days and apart from a magnificent beach /seafront there is little to recommend it.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth it especially the third floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
MidlandGM, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear kat159

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Midland - I was pleased to read that this was enjoyable.
Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to a future stay so that we can provide details and recommendations of places to visit and of interest both in Morecambe and the surounding area.

Morecambe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked afternoon tea several weeks ago for my mother in law's 90th birthday. I've given a poor rating purely on the basis of the service, everything else was good. To be perfectly fair we were perhaps a bit emotional as my father in law died a few days prior to the booking. I did at first phone to cancel but then phoned back to say my mother in law wanted to go ahead. The lady I spoke to on the phone was charming and helpful so, so far so good. Again to be fair we turned up slightly late and there was an extra person. When we arrived there was a wedding going on which obviously made things busy. We waited an hour for the tea and cakes to arrive. We were given small pots of tea and no milk. I eventually went in search of some milk myself. From the time the food arrived until the time I got up to pay no one came near. I felt the staff were uninterested and didn't care. It may sound petty but for the price paid I would expect a really good level of service. We were quite glad to get home for another cup of tea. As I am a resident of Morecambe I really want to see the Midland hotel carry on succeeding which is why I am pointing out that the service in some cases could be improved

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!