“You'd Settle for it - If you are hungry!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Beansheaf

You added Beansheaf to your Saves list
Beansheaf
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Malton Road | Kirby Misperton, Pickering YO17 6UE, England   |
Ranked #39 of 51 Pickering B&B and Inns
Sandbach
“You'd Settle for it - If you are hungry!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

There was noone at Reception to welcome you, we managed to find the resteraunt where a man acknowledged us after a chat with his colleague. We were shown to a table and given the menu.

We decided to go for a starter and a main.
The Melon was delightful but then you can't really mess up melon - can you?

Main meal was distinctly average but still ok. The changing of the waiters really spoilt the evening as the initial pleasant chap was then replaced by an older gentleman who had no interest whatsoever in his customers - He seemed incapable of standing vertically and was often seen supporting the bar.

wondering where our original waiter was we wanted another drink, yet with no chance of a waiter in sight and with a bar that needed proping up, my boyfriend undertook the task of ordering drinks. * cue dramatic music * , after asking for two glasses of water he was told " we don't usually do that, because its our water and our glasses and it doesn't make us any money" my boyfriend was appalled seeing as it is a mandatory requirement to serve customers with tap water. not too much to ask seeing as we had just ordered two courses by now. needless to say we didn't order the third. Oh and my boyfriend had to carry the water back himself rather than them saying we'll bring it over to you. this transition in waiters really killed the evening.

After mustering the strength to remove himself from propping up the bar, which presumably now was supported to the original structure, the second (older) waiter saw his oppitunity to ask for any more drinks/ orders, though i was tempted to ask for more tap water, but it had obviously been a lean summer for him. We asked for the bill after my boyfriend saying " so you finally saw us then did you" to which he shrugged off the comment and obviously felt tectonic plates moving as the bar was going to fall down.

we were given the bill, we had exact change, waited 2 minutes, saw the waiters having a conversation, and decided to leave, money on the table and out the door, safe to say, no tip was given.

The only tip we can give you is, if you are hungry go there, yet don't expect great service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Ok so it was a short stay, very welcoming staff, got shown to my room, Restaurant was amazing .. the food was not too expensive but was delicious .... friendly bar staff.. Although they do stop serving at 8 so be quick if you arrive late...
Room was comfortable if a little cold, the rooms would benefit from double glazing as was a bit draughty even in june..
Was out in the country so could hear local wildlife like cows and birds... but thats what its all about staying remotely i guess...
What I didnt bank on being able to hear was the guy in the room above me snooring... all night ...so didnt get a great sleep ... but not necessarily hotels fault ... ask for a room on the first floor and I'm sure you'll be fine .. i'd happily stay again even for the good food and friendly staff. ..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Lee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My experience of this hotel is quite contrary to others. I had booked for the weekend of the Malton Food Festival (19th - 20th May 2012)

I will try and be as concise as I can be...

We arrived, were welcomed by a young man and woman on reception who were very polite and friendly. We were shown to our room. Nothing like the pictures. Grubby, dark, low ceiling (a family room which we didn't want) It reminded me of a converted garage! I asked to change rooms, (which I have only done once in my life before). The girl was lovely and changed us straight away. We were happier with the new one (still not as nice as the pictures on the net).

We went down for dinner in their restaurant. An older man took our order...and then went on to chastise us for changing rooms in front of all the other guests. He said things like the girl shouldn't have changed our room for us, now someone else has to to have that one...he was entitled to his opinion (we weren't apparently). I have not been spoken to like that since I was a child! We explained that we didn't feel that it was the right time to speak to us about this matter and my partner later went out to speak to him to try to explain that we didn't feel we had done anything wrong by just asking to change rooms. I went out and heard some of their conversation. My partner was speaking to a brick wall. The man by the way was the owner! He did not care about the way he had spoken to us, the way he had treated us, or the fact that we felt we just couldn't stay there any longer. I felt could not put any of my money into that mans pocket after the way we had be spoken to. I have never in my whole life had such shockingly bad treatment as a customer, and for something as simple as asking to change rooms! Surely he should have spoken to the girl who had obliged our request, not us.

We packed our things and left with no where to go at 8pm. Luckily just down the road we found a great little Inn (The Wentworth Arms). They happened to have a cancelation so we got a lovely room...amazing food and excellent service. The owners were a delight! Also it was cheaper and included breakfast (not included in our £65 Beansheaf room). You probably don't think this really happen, or you may think I am exaggerating...I am not, sadly it really did happen like this. It still stuns me. We may be a one off case, but there are other nicer cheaper places around..I wouldn't risk it if I was you.

Also the rooms needed a good clean and a bit run down...see photos

Check out my review of the Wentworth Arms.

Room Tip: Don't ask to change rooms!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel is a bit remote but if you have a car there is plenty of parking and it is not far from York. The rooms were clean and tidy. The staff friendly and the food excellent. A good breakfast to start the day and the restaurant was full of non resident guests, always a good sign. A little difficult to find as the hotel sign is not very visible from the road. Look for the sign Chalkboard Pub which is attached to the hotel. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Small beautiful hotel, the owner was on hand when we arrived he was very jolly and helpful ,he showed us to our room which was very nice,very clean & tidy there was even free bottles of juice
what i did like there was loads of coffee tea and milk, after a very nice bath we went down for a couple of drinks in the bar which was very nice,we did not eat in the hotel as we were going out for dinner,but the few people that were there said the food was first class. we asked for a taxi to take us into the town but the owner said no trouble he would take us himself which he did.The breakfast was first class cooked to perfection and plenty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of hotel as the front is next to a busy road but saying that traffic seem...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Booked this hotel due to low price and proximity to Flamingo Land attraction. We arrived quite late at night, literally wanted it as a bed for the night but it provided so much more! The staff couldn't do enough for us, walked us to our room, asked us if everything was ok or they could do anything else for us etc. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever spent the night in, furnishing of the room was wonderful. We really didn't want to leave in the morning! Excellent bathroom, TV, welcome chocolates - really could not fault it. Would strongly recommend to anyone who needs a hotel in the area!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Stayed at the Beansheaf for 3 nights whilst on business in the area. I arrived at about 8.30pm to check in, and despite the restaurant having stopped serving food for 30 mins, they were more than happy to cook me a meal!

I'd booked a single en-suite room, which was fairly small but functional. The bathroom was rather on the small side, but did the job well. The room was cleaned impeccably every day. My only minor gripe was that the internet seemed a bit tempremental at night, but the staff were quick to reboot it on asking!

The restaurant food was excellent, very good portions and honest food. A thoroughly recommended family-run hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Beansheaf? Share your experiences!