“Central location ideal for coffee or lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 59 Restaurants in Pickering
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Chef's Cafe, Deli and Special Gift store. 30 seats. Owned by the White Swan Inn next door.
Durham, United Kingdom
“Central location ideal for coffee or lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying in the area for a couple of weeks and have popped in here for several coffees and a very nice lunch. Service is very friendly and you feel you can linger over your coffee if you wish. I had a delicious Butternut Squash Risotto and on another occasion a wonderful Carrot Cake with my coffee. They also do breakfasts and the deli downstairs (where you pay the bill) has a wide range of items to take away. We have never had to wait very long either to order or pay, but the food is so good I imagine it does get busy at times. Newspapers and magazines to read whilst you wait though!

replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thanks very much for your great review and your custom and apologies that it seems to have taken so long for me to respond. I usually try to answer every week so I must have missed your review - either that or TA didn't like that I tried to entice you to stay at another establishment also owned by us next door.

Do come and see us again when you are in the area

Victor

Pickering, United Kingdom
“Expectations let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and i visited here with our young daughter it is placed at the back of the deli so i had to climb stairs in order to eat here . As i had wanted to visit here since it opened and had heard great views on it i was prepared to do so even though i use a walking stick and find stairs difficult . The waitress was keen to take our order so we ordered breakfast and a hot chocolate .After the drink arrived was when my expectations were beginning to be let down , it was bland and bitter and i had to ask for sugar to make it taste reasonable now i dont take sugar in any drink but had to in order for it to be drinkable . My bacon sandwich arrived and it was almost cold and quite hard . I had to wait for mayonaise which made the food even colder . I couldnt eat the bread as it was soggy before i put mayonaise on it so i ate just bacon , mushrooms . There were no napkins provided with the order so my husband went to get some which he helped himself to . The place was reasonable although i did notice the seat was stained with a red mark but it appeared clean . One of the problems we found here was on paying for the food you have to go downstairs to the deli which means you can be waiting behind deli customers to pay if it is busy then you could wait a time . All in all i was unimpressed with feast and wont be returning again as there are better places in pickering to eat from .

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
This is a response in two halves. I am sorry that you found the physical layout of the building difficult to cope with and I appreciate that walking with a stick means that stairs etc are a much bigger barrier for you than for someone unencumbered with a stick. The only way around this would be to install a lift but there is no way to engineer this into a listed building even if money were no object. However - there is a passage along the side of the building which we use for disabled access to the upper level so I am sorry that none of my troops thought to offer this to you.

Our hot chocolate is made with Belgian chocolate and is supposed to be bitter and taken with a little sugar. More common brands hide the sugar within so you think that you don't need any. Now you know and i make no apology for this.

It appears to be our mistake to make our own mayonnaise from scratch. It isn't a common side order at breakfast (except in Belgium maybe) so I am not surprised that we had to make some for you. How many restaurants let alone cafes even know how to make proper mayonnaise? We should have offered to heat up your sandwich and we didn't so I apologise again. If you have made your mind up not to come back then there is very little I can do now to put matters right.

If you change your mind, let me know.

Whitby, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat, shame about the music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is an excellent place to eat. The food is varied and delicious. The deli downstairs is superb. My only complaint is that, like many modern establishments, the atmosphere was spoilt by the sound of Radio 1 or some local radio blasting out loud techno/dance music (which was slightly distorted due to being not tuned in properly or low quality of speakers).

Something much more ambient would be better.

Otherwise highly recommended. We need more places like this in North Yorkshire...

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thanks for your kind review. Will look at the music issue. Shouldn't have been on - I don't like it either.

Chorley, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Outside Catering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Feast provided the outside catering for a family party. They prepared excellent food and met all our requests. The Curry was great, with extra chilli for those of us who like it spicy. The range for the buffet was brilliant and all ingredients were of the highest order. The cheese selection was especially good.

Whilst we asked them to cater for 14 adults there was enough food for us to have a repeat party the following day with all the stuff we hadn't eaten the night before.

Thanks Tom, it was money well spent, and everyone enjoyed your hard work.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your great review and glad you really enjoyed the food. Tom loves a namecheck so thanks for that too.

whitby
“Excellent for lunch & a natter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great selection of food in the cafe and deli. Girls on duty were very polite and knowledgable about the food. Service,food and surroundings all great, what more does one need

Visited August 2012
replyman, Owner at Feast, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Glyn T

Thank you for your most excellent review. Do come again soon.

Victor. victorb@white-swan.co.uk