“Brilliant - highly recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tantara Woodland Lodges

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pickering
Tantara Woodland Lodges
Thornton Road, Pickering YO18 7JX, England   |
Buckinghamshire
“Brilliant - highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

We have just returned from a week at Tantara Lodges and after reading the reviews on here i was somewhat dubious of what we were going to find. Having no expectations i have to say i was pleasantly surprised!! The lodge was spacious, clean, well equipped, and very homely. The location was great, lots to see and do and the lodge was fantastic for a relaxing, chilled and perfect New Year break. If you are looking to go to these lodges, please don't be put off by the other reviews on here, Tantara Woodlands really was a lovely place to stay and i would highly recommend it!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We booked Tantara as an alternative to Keldy forest cabins as the latter had no availablity for a hot tub on our chosen weekend which included an important family anniversary.

We arrived at Tantara on the friday night tired and weary and ready for some relaxation. After unpacking and settling in to the lodge we decided to eat and put our 3 year old to bed. Sounds straight forward enough, but not so when you discover that the bed linen that your child is expected to sleep in is nothing short of filthy!

The experience continues...... The following night after a long day out sightseeing we decided to give the hot tub a run for its money. Again, sounds straight forward enough, but not so when the tub lights don't work and the gazebo where the tub is has no lighting either. The tub area was Pitch Black!

We decided to get some help from the management. What a mistake that was to think they would be any help. After countless phone calls ( all 1 way that is ) and almost 4 hours waiting for someone to attend to the tub we finally got a knock at the door. There greeting us was a man who had come straight from the pub and had zero knowledge of hot tub maintainance. The same man then offered us the option of rigging up a temporary light which consisted of a table lamp and extension cable and possibly a lift to the hospital following electrocution! We declined the offer, the man made his apologies and left, but not before promising to get the tub sorted for us the next day.

We arrived back at the lodge the following day after another day out and yes, you guessed it, no lights! We were gutted! ( again ).

There were other minor things - no towells, no toilet rolls, a cooker hood filter dripping with grease, no collander, no scissors, dirty cutlery, dusty walls, countless cobwebs and an abundance of flies.

THIS HOLIDAY PARK IS IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM ONE WHICH CAN SERIOUSLY CALL ITSELF - LUXURY !!! GO TO KELDY FOREST INSTEAD!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

This was was our Honeymoon and after staying here two previously in recent years we thought a great time was ensured.
However the lodges were grubby, poorly equipped, cupboards damaged, blinds screwed into walls, appliances cheap and hanging on to life and the hot tub doesnt work on your first night.

We tried to contact owners over a period of a few hours to raise our concerns over the hot tub( looking forward to a glass of champagne in the tub) and after time we banged on the door until we were heard. Told that we must have been messing with controls and then told that they never work on first night as they have to be cleaned etc and take too long to get to temperature. Promised that an owner/ manager would ring or visit, they never did.
When we first came here a few years ago these cabins were good, customer focused and a real treat. Now they are run down with little investmemt and can not be described as luxury.

These lodges are not the normal Hoseasons standard and we have jusy come back from another luxury hoseasons lodge which was cheaper and made these look very shabby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Morecambe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

After reading previous reviews we were extremely worried as to what we would find on arrival. We did have to contact Hoseasons to find out about where to collect the key, but apart from that we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and standard of the accomodation.If we had read the reviews before we booked we would never have gone there and would have missed out on a very enjoyable week away.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
northwestuk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I stayed at Tantara Woodland for three nights with friends to celebrate a birthday. We were allocated a cottage with three bedrooms and a hot tub. The accomodation is fantastic. Clean, ultra-modern and very comfortable. Initially, we arrived to find that there was nobody around to greet us. We were told to call threee days before we arrived to organise the collection of a key and allocation of a cottage. We called a number of times and also left messages but got no response. It was left to another guest who found us looking lost to explain that the key would be in the door of the cottage that we had been allocated. This minor problem was the least of our worries. On our second night the hot tub became murky and began to smell. We felt being paying customers that we had the right to report this to the owner of the park. Well what a mistake that was!!! He turned up at the site and accused us of mistreating his property. He told us that you can't drink in the hot tubs although the website actually shows people drinking wine in one and next door had two kegs on the side of theirs?? He swore at us, which I found totally unprofessional and inappropriate and then left in a foul mood without even looking at the hot tub.
Around twenty minutes later he sent a female member of staff up to the cottage who said he was too mad to talk to us and he wanted us off his property. She also accused us of smoking in the cottage, yet i'm a non-smoker and wouldn't let anyone smoke inside and said we'd had complaints logded against us from our neighbours. After consulting our neighbours this was also found to be a faulse accusation. As we had all had a few drinks like you do on holiday and we lived three hours away it was not feasible to leave. We tried to explain this to the lady but she stormed of stating that 'she would make us leave'!!
Again, around twenty minutes later there was a knock on the door. I opened it to be greeted by a gang of middle-aged men who had obviously been sent to threaten us and evict us. They surrounded me and made me feel totally distressed. I found this totally unnecessary as we were still only in search of a reason to why our hot tub was smelly?? It took my wife to come out of the cottage to talk the situation down before the park owner appeared again. He persistantly swore at my wife and I in a rant that went from how much hot tubs cost and that how with the amount of electricity we had used he would not make a profit on our stay!!! I don't believe this to be my problem!!! After much persuasion he allowed us to stay for our final night but we had no hot tub. All he did was drain it ready to be cleaned. This indicated to me that this was probably all that it required in the first place.
After the events of the evening my friends and I felt totally uneasy and were unable to enjoy the rest of our stay. If it hadn't have been for the staff I would have definately recommended this park to any of my friends. Now I feel it is my duty to warn people of the abuse and treatment that we recieved on our 'relaxing' break.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed in Little Owl cottage. I stayed here for 8 days. On reading the guest book we found out that the oven did not work. The hob does though. The kitchen is not well equipped as everyone says in the guest book. Nearly every night we had a man come round needing a corkscrew. The kitchen in general looks a bit run down in places, (see pictures). Overall though the accommodation was nice and clean. The hot tub was very good but were not sure if the water was clean or not. Don't expect any welcome or customer services at all during you stay. One other thing is there are many leaflets of things to do in the kitchen area.

Pickering is a busy town with many bakeries and places to eat. I recommend Spice4U Indian restaurant. They do take-aways too. The Beck-Isle Museum in Pickering is worth a visit. It is over the bridge from the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The railway is a fun trip but the scenery seems to stay the same throughout.

Thornton-Le-Dale is the next village on as you turn left out of the cottages. Parking everywhere is a lot cheaper after 6. Very picturesque and chocolate box. I would recommend taking a walk around here.

Good attractions are: Dalby Forest(Go-Ape looks amazing!) , Eden Camp, Ryedale Folk Museum (Hutton-Le-Hole), The World Of James Herriot (Thirsk), NYMR, Beck-Isle Museum, (sometimes have children go free weeks.), a trip to Whitby (down an extremely steep hill). Just be aware that some museums have exactly the same things in. It is near Flamingo Land for children.

Overall the holiday was enjoyed, but wouldn't return as we would have visited everything before. ( P.s: Decking Slippery in rain fell over numerous times.)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I booked to stay at Tantara Lodges because my first choice was not available and this was offered as an alternative. I was then slightly disappointed to read (after booking) a couple of negative reviews on tripadvisor (I do normally read first before booking !). However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was everything that I had hoped for when I booked it. We spent a week here and to be honest, we would have been happy to stay for longer. The kids loved being able to jump in the hot tub at any time of day (the kitchen even came with a washer/dryer to dry our swimming stuff twice/three times a day).
The site is located about 2 miles from Pickering, about 17 miles from Scarborough and Flamingoland is about 15 minutes drive away.
I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Tantara Woodland Lodges? Share your experiences!