“Saundersfoot worthwhile but not this place” 1 of 5 stars

St Brides Hill, Saundersfoot SA69 9NP, Wales   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Saundersfoot B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Saundersfoot worthwhile but not this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

A friend and I took my children away for three days, My Mother was meant to come but due to ill health was unable to - I was disappointed at this until we arrived at Malin House. We had the family room, a double and two single beds. Ideal as the family friend was another female. However the stench from the drains was appalling. The pool still has no treads on the steps and in general not a pool I wanted to use, my children did but I was not getting in! The bottom looks like it has limescale on it.
The breakfasts are not served on full size plates and the 1/4 slice of fried bread - what is this about - don't bother - it looks like everything is run on a shoe string budget. My daughter's juice glass had lipstick stains on it, she is 9 so I knew it was not hers.
The general state of disrepair is evident everywhere. How this is recommended by the Welsh Tourist Board is beyond me.
Then when I got home I found they had only taken £50.00 from my bill for the deposit I had paid instead of the £100 showing on my credit card statement. This has made it all the more unpalateable.
Saundersfoot was very enjoyable and a lovely meal I would recommend the Mulberry Bar and Restaurant. Excellent meal with good service.
Wish to return to Wales but will be staying elsewhere. If you decide to go there take some Vicks to rub under your nostrils.
As an aside please take towels for the pool, they are not supplied or offered!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

we stayed for 5 days in may 2013 , mature couple, had a nice stay the staff and owners were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble - good value for money hotel. Good service,. in door swimming pool helped on 2 rainy days,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lompoc, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

A large estate home on hillside overlooking town and bay. Upon arrival on a very cold rainy afternoon, we were set down in the parlor and given a cup of tea by a welcoming auntie. Rooms are large, but furnished with old worn fixtures. Bed very soft and bouncy. Large solarium with huge bougainvilla growing to the sky was a wonderful place to sit and read on a very blistery afternoon. There is an indoor swimming pool and outdoor jacuzzi. This would be a great place for family with children, as there are plenty of games, ping pong, and things to do for kids. Off street parking and within very short walk to the town. Excellent value for the low price we paid. Breakfast available to purchase, but we did not have it. Rooms with kitchenette are available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgend South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We arrived around 2.30 in the afternoon and after declining the offer of complimentary tea or coffee we headed straight to our family room. It was lovely and clean, a double bed in one room with a table and 2 chairs and flat screen tv. There was a kitchen area next door small but with sink, fridge, kettle and microwave. Next to that was a seperate bedroom for the children 2 single beds and a pull out bed also. Nice sized ensuite to the childrens room with shower which wasn't all that powerful but did get warm and was easy to use! We went out into the garden which has a few small toys for the children (they are old and a bit worse for wear but the kids still loved them) a ride on bike, tractor, a small slide, a tyre swing and a normal swing. We had lots of fun playing frisbee as it's such a good sized garden. There is a fenced seating area above the garden so you could sit and relax while the kids play. There is an outside hot tub but we didn't use that. We used the indoor swimming pool. Big hit with the kids they loved it! Not much room to walk around the outside but it was perfect for us. The water was a nice temperature and we spent a lovely hour in it. Once we dried off and changed we went down to one of the lounges for a game of pool while the kids played with the little toys provided and the little wendy house. We went back to the room by 7.30pm as our daughter is only nearly 3 watched tv in the room. Only thing I would say slightly negative (but bear in mind it is the same in any hotel/b&b so not negative just to this hotel) was that when we were ready to go to sleep around 10pm (tired out after running round after a 4 and 2 year old all day) we could hear the people in the next room very clearly and they were talking and laughing until gone 11.30. I know that's not late and they are on holiday but when you're tired and trying to sleep it is annoying :) I slept in with the kids but my partner could hear the person in the next room to him snoring through the walls and every time someone flushed the chain or ran a tap it was very loud in our room. I know this is the same in probably all hotels/guesthouses but wanted to mention it. I took earplugs and could still hear the noise. Apart from that it's in a lovely quiet location so no outside noise.... apart from a pigeon that kept cooing every minute from 5.30 am :) and of course a few seagulls squawking. Don't think I could get used to living by the seaside :) Made myself a cup of tea with the complimentary tea bags and milk and sugar in the kitchen area to wake me up and we left the hotel just after 8am. We didn't pay extra for the breakfast as it was £8 per adult and £4 per child and we just don't eat that much for breakfast so it wouldn't be worth it. We headed out and had breakfast down in town. Saundersfoot itself is such a lovely place. The beach is beautiful and clean, there is a bouncy castle for the kids and at £1.50 for 15 minutes not a bad price! Lots of little shops to browse around and plenty of choices for food and ice cream! There is a playground and an arcade which keeps the younger ones amused. We went to folly farm which is only a short drive away so Saundersfoot is a good base for doing things like that! I'd definitely return to Malin House if we were down that way again as there was nothing I could fault about the hotel itself! It is up a hill to get to it but I carried my little girl up it with no problem. It's only a minute or two walk.

Room Tip: We had rooms 15 and 16 (family studio) and it was lovely!
Nr Hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We only came across this hotel by chance. Wow what a lovely welcome the price was perfect the rooms so clean and warm and welcoming. The breakfast was the best we have ever had in a hotel ever - and we have travelled.

The son Sam helped me with the wifi connection which helped me so much and Lucy the daughter was so charming.
The only downfall was we only stayed ONE night. Our next visit will be a much longer stay. Chris & Janet made us feel a real so at easy and we had a brilliant nights rest in a very comfortable bed.

You will not be disappointed if you stayed at the Malin House

Room Tip: All the rooms are just brilliant
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location near the town. The hotel is very friendly and welcoming. We had a family room with our 2 daughters aged 10 and 11. They had a separate room. The breakfast was worth having and was good value for money. Will stay again next time we head to west wales.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Saundersfoot is a lovely little village and the hotel is on the hill overlooking it. Quite a hill to climb but if you are fit, it would be no bother.
We opted out of brekfast to save on costs...my daughter doesn't eat much anyway in the morning.
We used the indoor pool it was ok, nothing special. It was too cold to use the hot tub.
Great conservatories to relax and you can take your own alcohol as there is no bar. It didn't bother us as there are a few nice friendly pubs in the village.
Good grounds for the children to play.
Free parking, easy access. Easy to find the hotel on main road.
Very friendly homely hotel, staff very pleasant.
Will definately call again.

Room Tip: Ground floor has nice large room in back overlooking garden. Lovely bay window with plenty of light.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Malin House? Share your experiences!