“Much Improved” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pontypridd
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Much Improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We have stayed here a number of times in the past, but was a bit disappointed with the lack of investment in the place the last time we stayed.

However, because it is convenient and quite close to my sister's home and to where my parents are buried, we decided to give it another try.

I have to say I noticed quite a few improvements on this visit.
1) The room, including the bathroom had received a pleasant makeover.
2) All the doors on our floor had been replaced
3) New carpets fitted in the corridor.
4) The restaurant had also had a few improvements.

The area which really could do with some TLC is the exterior of the Spa, which is in dire need of repair and looks very shabby. Being next to the Main Entrance it lets it down badly.

Breakfast was good (Unfortunately,the new toaster kept breaking down) this seems to be a problem in most of the hotels I have stayed in at home and abroad.

Dinner was quite good starting with Tomato soup for myself and Garlic Mushrooms for my wife.
Followed by Pan fried Chicken Breast and my wife ordered Grilled Salmon Fillet.
My only complaint was that the Cus Cus made mine a very dry dish.
We both finished off with a triple chocolate Ice Cream.

The other reason we stay here, which is very personal and why I hope they continue to improve.Is that The 'Lewis Merthyr Colliery' which is now the' Rhondda Heritage Park' next to the Hotel,is where my father who worked as a 'Fireman' (Explosives) used to take me every Friday to collect his wages when I was a boy, almost 70 years ago.

Room Tip: Room 215 has a good view of the car park if you like to keep an eye on it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stay away from this dump. Dated room, carpet in corridor is all rippled, food is disgusting, pool water is so cloudy you can't see the bottom, no WiFi in rooms, in the middle of a dodgy area, the list is never ending!! Stay away

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel is the pits!
It's dirty- so much so I could not walk on the carpet without my flips flops on.
The shower plug hole for stuck, and shower dripped so the bath filled up with water when we were out!
Staff were not helpful at all- the lady at breakfast was rude and seemed in a massive rush.
When trying to check in I stood I front of a man on the phone for about 15 minutes who did not even acknowledge me, and a woman who kept walking to the front from the back and avoiding eye contact.
The hotel is run down and old and I would never stay here again.

Stayed June 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Spent 3 nights at this hotel. Needs a little TLC. Unfortunately for the hotel they experienced a flood the week before we arrived which left a very unpleasant smell in the down stairs corridor but as I had requested easy access as we had my parents with us and stairs are a no no they really had no option but to put us in rooms of the corridor. Our bedroom had all that was needed but the carpets would have benefitted from a shampoo, we had single beds, at our request, as they do also have double beds, but my husband who is nearly six foot tall but quite slim did find the duvet a bit small as they are singles. The price did include breakfast, which was more than adequate and you could also order items not included on the buffet breakfast table. The gym and pool are very good for an hotel, I have been in more expensive and larger hotels with much smaller gyms and pools. There is a very nice bar and we also ate in the hotel everynight and were happy to do so. But by far and away the best part of our stay and would make us book there again if staying in that area were the staff, who were more than helpful, no request was to much and was always accompanied by genuine smiles in every part of the hotel, we couldn't say thankyou enough to them.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Have just attended wedding here , was worried after seeing reviews on trip adviser...so did not expect much...but was pleasantly surprised it was a little tired but clean tidy helpfull staff brilliant value for money no complaints will be going back .

Room Tip: Room 219 was good
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Heritage P, Manager at Heritage Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Sylvia,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am delighted that you found your stay to be to a high standard and very pleased to hear that you will be returning.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit and do hope that you will find it as enjoyable as the first.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Management
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

After reading some of the recent reviews of this hotel I was fearing the worse come the day of booking in, but I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. My initial impression was at the reception area where I and my friend were greeted by a polite and immaculately presented receptionist, we were quickly in our room and found it to be spotlessly clean, spacious and very comfortable, a large flat screen TV and a plentiful supply of tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits made us feel very relaxed, the beds were comfortable and made up beautifully, the bathroom was modern and again spotlessly clean, there were more than enough towels and our shower had good power and could be as hot as you wanted. The area outside of the rooms were thickly carpeted and was clean (as was every area of the hotel) The "sticky" floor in the dining room as reported in a previous comment was only sticky to certain soles and it was down to the wax as it is a solid wood floor and not laminate. Every meal we had at the hotel was delicious and very generous in portion size, the breakfasts are buffet style which I feel gives more choice to an individuals requirements and there was certainly plenty to choose from, the cooked food was replenished frequently so it never had a chance to dry out. My friend and myself were at the hotel to celebrate the wedding of two of our dearest friends and again the hotel excelled itself, the whole day went smoothly and the food at the reception was gorgeous and very plentiful, the evening buffet gave a large selection so everyone was catered for. The staff were always polite, professional and helpful as well as immaculately presented. I would happily return and spend time at this lovely hotel, it is very reasonably priced and gives excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Rhondda, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed in a triple room that was extremely dated. Some of the lights near the bed did not work. The bed itself was rickety and the mattress was probably as old as the hotel itself! The shower only trickled out cold water and when I tried to run a bath instead the water was only just warm enough.
The corridor outside smelt faintly of urine in parts. The whole place reminded me vaguely of a rugby club that had seen better days.
Breakfast was a disappointment too. The hot items were over cooked. My partner had poached eggs made to order that were dripping in vinegar and slapped unceremoniously on a plate with nothing else. The coffee was tepid and served in a teapot.
For the money it was a big disappointment. There are far nicer places to stay for just a little more per room. Steer clear!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Emma,

I am extremely sorry to hear that yourself and your partner were dissatisfied with your stay. We take all customer feedback on board and strive to make improvements where possible. There are currently refurbishment plans in place for the hotel and we hope to implement them in the near future.

We encourage all of our guests to make us aware of any issues they encounter during their stay so that they can be resolved as efficiently as possible. I am very disappointed that you left the hotel with a negative impression and can only hope that you will consider visiting us again at some point in the future.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us and once more, please accept my apologies.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Management

Been to Heritage Park Hotel? Share your experiences!