“Most Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Stirling
Largs, United Kingdom
“Most Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just back from a two night stay,,,All was well, good food, cheerfull staff, comfortable beds, and nicely decorated room. Car park a liitle bit dowdy but could not be more convenient - yes the entrance is a bit hidden - but once located is no prob.The hotel could not be more central - yes you hear the street noises in the front rooms, we just closed the windows and drew the curtains, a small price to pay . We intend to return here in the near future.

Room Tip: 208 has a king size bed and a good sized room, 206 has twin beds and comfortable. 107 nice room, lov...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed here on 27th Sept with family, couldn't fault the place for its location right in the centre of town, stayed half board the food was lovely, the only fault I could make is that it stated bar open 24hours but they shut the bar at midnight for pump beers and could only get bottles or spirits which worked out more expensive, but overall I would stay again and would recommend to friends and family

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

myself and a friend stayed here and was given a room at front of hotel,although hotel was lovely it seemed like our window was broken and let in alot of noise from traffic, alarms going off etc which meant not much sleep, shower was broken also, great location and very easy to find

• Stayed September 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel about 18 months ago, The rooms and lift could do with an over haul, The lift is very tatty and needs looking at although I do see there is a sign saying its going to be out of order early next year, The room supposed to be a superior king, yes it was spacious, bed very low and not that comfy, furniture a little dated. having agreed with another review because of the one way system now in stirling, hence I know that's not the hotels fault the car park is very difficult to locate, but we did eventually access it. We stayed 2 nights breakfast on the first morning was well un organised, tables not set, then when the staff did they forgot half of the stuff, They serve a buffet breakfast and even the cooked items are in a bain marie not entirely sure if this is best, as they serve breakfast for 3 hours by the end of service its getting rather unedible,, we did eat here on the 2nd night and the food we had was excellent, both steaks were cooked perfectly and very well presented, just a bit of a shame as it could be a very nice establishment, As I said we stayed here about 18 months ago and I would say it has gone downhill and for 258 for a 2 night stay is expensive, I would expect a little more.

Room Tip: Room 208 was at the front
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Over the last month I have stayed in this hotel 5 times on business.

It is initially,not the easiest to find.Port Street is pedestrianised and if you want to use the hotel car park you need to access it off of Murray Place. Once I got my bearings, I found it best to park in Allan Park(5 minute walk away-only pay and display 8.45am-5.30pm).

The hotel sounds like it has a few rooms above a pub , but in fact is quite a large hotel off the Main Street. During my stays,I found the staff to be friendly and the rooms of decent quality. Be careful, however, as I once got allocated(for the same price a much smaller box room). There are a few comments on here about noise - I didn't find this to be an issue and I also didn't mind the hiddglety piglety layout of the hotel. Minor comments are,please get the wifi to work in the bedrooms(not just the public areas)-although on the positive side at least it is free unlike many chain hotels, the service in the bar can be slow on occasion, and the breakfast is a 7/10 but I am beginning to get fed up after 5 days of the rather cheap sausages. Overall I found it to be refreshing staying somewhere different from your standard chain hotel.

The hotel itself is in a great location with many restaurants( Indian, Chinese, Italian etc) and pubs nearby.Short(10 minute) but steep walk to the castle or a more energetic 3 mile walk to the Wallace monument(great views)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I'm a bit late with this review. I stayed in August for 1 night. This was my 2nd visit to the Golden Lion and obviously it is pot luck with the room sizes. The room me and my partner was given was no bigger than a 'box room', you could barely turn round in there. The shower was also quite dirty. I did complain to the reception about it and was told that is all what is available as the hotel is fully booked.

The breakfast was poor, swimming in grease and the mushrooms were rock hard. I first stayed in May 2013 and I liked it, so thought it was worth a 2nd visit due to its location and the rooms we had before were quite good. Sorry but after paying £105.00 for this tiny room for 1 night, the Golden Lion will not be getting my business again. The rates need to be reduced.

Also, other parts of the hotel smell damp.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Noak Hill
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Where do I start? My husband and I were here for the Bloody Scotland crime festival and had been booked into this hotel for three nights. The arrival was difficult as the place is badly signposted, a tiny little mention on the bottom of a No Entry sign saying, entry for access only to Golden Lion. So not a great beginning. The intercom which you press to let you in, or risk ruining your sump on a nasty bollard was not working properly or maybe no one wanted to answer it. Eventually the bollard retreated into the ground and we entered into a filthy car park, surrounded by other buildings all of which were in a better state than the hotel. The car park surface was uneven to the point of being dangerous and was littered with old take away cartons, beer cans, general dirt and sick! We felt so welcomed.
The back entrance to the hotel is small and dingy, but it does lead you into a bright and airy reception area where the receptionist was all smiles and gave us our room key.
Then the lift, a tiny little contraption which didnt seem to want to stop level with the floor and was either too high or too low, so pulling a suitcase up or down was hazardous. The corridors were light and looked recently painted with jolly pictures on the walls.
Our room was a decent size but had roof windows and an area which jutted out into the room which meant my 6ft 2" husband hit his head several times. The wall paper was peeling off, the carpet edges were obviously shy of the vacuum as they were filthy, the bed was uncomfortable, the bedside cabinets too low. The hospitality tray was stowed in a bottom drawer and had to be lifted out, kettle and all to use. The only options were tea and coffee, I dont drink either and asked for some herbal or chocolate alternatives. I was met with a bemused look, so offered to buy my own and take the cost off the bill. Only then was an offer of herbal tea made which I gather was taken from the dining room.
The bathroom looked great, but had probably never been tested for use by the owner or staff of this place. The lovely shiny bath and floor tiles looked wonderful but became deathly slippery when wet, no bath mat meant skiing from one end to the other when the shower was on. Stepping out was an experience onto a slippery wet floor with an less than adequate mat available. Only one set of towels was provided despite there being two of us in the room and I had to ask for more. It was a depressing room, only outstripped by the fact that the glazing in the windows was so thin that I was actually looking for a radio to turn off as I thought the noise we were hearing was in the room. No it was from the street outside, and we were three floors up. The night noise was terrible, we could hear peoples conversations, shouting, screaming and singing as they made their way home and then were treated to a lovely example of how to be sick in the street, hearing every little bit of it as we were trying to sleep. The noise did not abate until about 3 in the morning, great we thought we can get some sleep, but oh no!, an army of street cleaners emerged to sweep up the mess and move metal barriers about, chatting along their merry way, again all of which floated into our room and foiled our attempt at sleeping.
Okay, says the hubby, lets try the dining room, so we did and regretted it, food was bland and I suspect from the freezer, (maybe even Iceland shops as I am sure I have had the same stuff from there in the past). Service was not too bad but all the staff were very young and I think may have been eastern european which on occasion made communication a challenge. Husband wanted a pint of beer and after being asked by three members of staff if this was the case another came and up and said 'Are you sure you want a pint of butter?' In the end he was a pint of 'heavy', had we known this was how we were supposed to order it we would have, but who ever asked for a pint of butter?
Breakfast was a nightmare. The staff were now older better speaking scottish folk, but all seemed very stressed. I am vegetarian and was unable to have any of the food on offer as the untensils being used were not specifically for any item and were being put in and out of meat products as well as into items such as mushrooms and tomatoes, thus contaminating everything. The scrambled egg seemed to have its own ladle which I attempted to use, only to find the egg was so swimming in a grey goo that it all slid off the ladle, I gave up.
At the table we had no cutlery and when I asked for that as well as toast the lovely surly waitress pointed to an attached table and said 'there it is'. Now we had been seated at this two place table so how were we supposed to know we were to steal our cutlery and food from the other one? The toast was all brown and my husband asked for white, 'dont you want the brown then' he was asked, he didnt I did, this put the waitress into confusion and took a while to explain we would like some white toast as well. Not happy she flounced off to get the thinnest toast I have ever seen. (Maybe the chef was offering Melba and not telling anyone). I broached the subject of a herbal tea and a stony face said I could choose from a selection, great I thought not realising the selection was of four herbal teas.
The whole place seemed like it needed a good overhaul even though I understand this did happen last year, it clearly has not touched all the areas of the hotel. The management or staff can never have used all the rooms to see if they are user friendly as ours clearly wasnt. I dont necessarily blame the younger staff they seemed like they would help if they could, but the management need to pull their socks up. When my husband said we would not be staying the next two nights but leaving after one, we were asked if there was a problem. As you can see from this review we would probably have still been there now explaining what was wrong, he did say the room was not pleasant and we would prefer to stay somewhere more suited to us and you know they did not even say 'sorry to hear this' or make any attempt to make us stay, they are clearly aware that this place is not up to scratch. They would not refund the two unused nights stay but did take one off the price of the meal, better than nothing and frankly I think we got away cheaply.
On leaving the hotel, going back into the car park of gloom, I noticed the windows of the kitchen had an orangey glow to them, thinking this must be the sun shining through the torn insect screens I said how pretty that looked, then we realised it was the grease on the windows, not the sun. Couldnt wait to leave this place, its a hotel that can only be described as fur coat and no knickers, looks good in places but is bare underneath.
Be warned!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Goldenlionhotel S, General Manager at Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to commment on your recent stay. I am concerned by your comments considering you personally spoke with myself on the day you decided to depart two days early due to leaving your dog in the car on the first night and thought it better to go back home to the Orkney's from what you said at the time and never mentioned anything untoward. If you felt so strongly about the hotel, I would have thought you would have said something then when I refunded the payment for your wife's supplement since the account for all accommodations was prepaid by the Event organisers which you would have been aware was non-refundable.

The Hotel was Fully booked with this event and going by the numerous comments made directly to the Hotel regarding this event afterwards, this 'beggars belief'

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!