“Truth.... why you should AVOID” 1 of 5 stars

Golden Lion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 - 10 King Street, Stirling FK8 1BD, Scotland   |
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Stirling
Glasgow
“Truth.... why you should AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

…to cut a long story short...

**Had to pay for room during check-in rather than checkout - DON'T make this mistake I made – Please read on and judge for yourself….

**Arrived & checked-in OK, Room was tiny and was not executive.

**Spoke to reception and an executive room is one that has been refurbished (painted and looking like a normal room in any other hotel). Changed to another room - just the same.

**WARNING: the nice rooms on the Internet and Hotel web-page are from their Suite (which there is only one at £175).

**If you wanted a drink in the evening at the Hotel Bar, you needed to retrieve the Barman as he was outside smoking and using his mobile phone.

**Only cold water in the bathroom in the morning. The hotel knew about this and the boiler not working for a number of days and did not inform us during check-in.

**Breakfast – just as bad as the above.

**I complained the next morning again where the Hotel refunded £20 for my problems. I was unhappy and asked for the manager, who would phone me the next day.

**Promised from Manager were not upheld. No calls from manager, i called him and promised an additional £30 refund that never happened. Even after phoning him a number of times.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Went here for lunch with my daughter and parents - what a fantastic surprise! Food was excellent and the service we received was first class. Having read the other reviews, I cant understand why the food has been criticised in the past, it was superb.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Goldenlionhotel S, General Manager at Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed you viist with us and will pass on your comments to all the Team
Rosie in glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in June for a family wedding which as I wrote at the time was superb in every way. Returned for party night at beginning of December and stayed overnight again with three friends. Once again we had a lovely time, food excellent, staff as ever helpful and friendly and room very comfortable. The ambience at the hotel was particularly festive and next morning we enjoyed a lovely Scottish breakfast. Would highly recommend this hotel in every way and look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed you Partynight with us and will pass on your comments to all the Team
Seasons Greetings to you all
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Great place. Expected this to be a downmarket hotel attached to a pub! But it was not. Rooms not luxiourious but very very good. Attentive staff and good food. They served us graciously with drink until 3 am.

• Stayed December 2012
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I had been to the restaurant once before and ate a decent meal but didn't think it was amazing or anything. However, the second time I went I ate a meal that I had only dreamed of. I'm not usually a burger person but the burger meal I ordered 10 mins before the kitchen closed had the best meat I've ever had in a burger! The salad, and home cut potatoes were also good but the burger........!!!!!!! *Mouth watering* I recommend anyone in need of the best burger in Stirling to visit! :) The prices are really decent too (Me and my gf are both students and even we could afford it!) I'll be back again, very soon!

p.s Only down side was the fact that the kitchen closed at 21.00 on a Friday!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Darvel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We went for a weekend at the start of December for a break and xmas shopping. Dinner at night was very good. Buffet breakfast in the morning was the coldest I have ever encountered - I have never had a good one.
The room was good but needed to be a king size bed and not a double.

Room Tip: We used Booking.com and got an executive room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall visit with us and will pass on your comments to all the Team
I apologise if your breakfast was cold, which I can't explain. We have new food warmers which are excellent at keeping the food at the required temperature and are working efficiently

We will continue to monitor these issues and thank you for taking the time to comment
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

my husband and 1 stayed at the golden lion hotel for one night, we really enjoyed our stay although our room was a little noisy.
we had a few drinks in the bar and was very impressed with the bartender (craig?? or Greg??) we would like to thank him for a lovely evening as he was good fun and very helpfull, we will denfinately recommend this hotel and will use it in the future. Breakfast was good and staff attentive. Merry Xmas Craig and all the staff..

Room Tip: will get a quieter room next time,
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Goldenlionhotel S, General Manager at Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments I will pass these on to Craig accordingly and look forward to accommodating you in the not too distant future.
Look out on our website for Special Accommodation Deals
Seasons Greetings to you

Been to Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!