“true scots welcome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Stirling
Chester, United Kingdom
“true scots welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

stayed two nights during the rememberance weekend loved the hotel and the atmosphere the building had like tom brown school days and a lot of the old features have been kept in perfect condition
the staff where just perfect the breakfast welcome is second to none shown to the table all our requirments where attended to
one disapointment the haggis was not a veggie option made do with the tattie scones
the room was clean and tidy and comfortable slept like a log a really good nights sleep loved the bed
pity we had food out with family as the food our friends had enjoyed was exceptionial will try next visit

Room Tip: we had a room over looking the courtyard gave us a great sense of being in the school the thrid floo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel again, I use it twice a year on business when I visit Stirling. This time it just didn't feel like a four star stay.

The room (120) was OK, but is starting to need some attention, with a cracked ceiling, and a deep clean needed in the bathroom.

At £140 for 1 night B&B I was expecting a little more than a spongy single bed, first single bed I have ever had on business travel...

The breakfast was nice, with a good selection of hot or continental options.

Not a bad stay, but waking with a sore back from the bed has tarnished it a bit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

By the name of this hotel we first thought it would be in lovely setting with some scenery but it was just outside of the city centre and not too easy to find, probably just us though! There were building works going on, which is probably a good thing as this hotel could do with a little updating! I understand the hotel is meant to have a traditional classic feel but I feel like it has lost it's fourth star, it is quite dated and sad looking. We were just here for a day to use the spa and leisure facilities, so cannot comment on the bedroom, reception staff, bar etc. Although I do have to say that there are lots of stairs so not ideal for the less agile. We were here on a Monday so the pool etc was lovely and quiet. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were a good size as was the pool I suppose but the jacuzzi and pool were not warm! The wall tiles looked grimey and were cracked and ugly, changing rooms were fine with hairdryers and shower gel to use. Loved the fact we got towels, robes and slippers! Our beauty therapists were both lovely girls and did good jobs. Although we were both booked in for hot stone massages, the reception staff clearly hadn't liaised with the therapists as they asked what we wanted and my partners therapist didn't have the hot stones ready meaning she couldn't do it, really disappointed especially since it was her birthday day out and she was looking forward to it. Pedicures were fine but they did have a lack of polish colours to chose from. They do have a relaxation room to use before/after treatments which was nice to sit in to allow our toes to dry and have a drink. Lunch was great, we both had fish and chips with mushy peas. Huge portion size and so tasty. Pudding were both fab and well presented, a bit pricey for drinks though, 2.80 for a small coke. Can't comment on food prices as it was all included in our deal. The restaurant was dead, we were the only people in there but could be as it was 2.30 we were seated, this meant there was a lack of atmosphere but the food was delivered quickly. If I was ever in the area again I would definately go back for the lunch, really great!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed here on a Saturday night. However, although the staff were nice and friendly. The cleanliness of the bedroom and bathroom was shocking. As the pillow cases were crushed and creased as though someone had been sleeping on them and they hadn't been changed. I decided to do a (4 in a bed) and pulled back the quilt only to find a variety of long black hairs. Unfortunately my partner and I are blonde. I contacted reception. The Duty Manager arrived. I explained that I though the pillowcases looked like they hadn’t been changed from the previous guest hence the reason I checked the sheet and quilt. He offered us a complimentary drink in the bar. We declined, my partner and I walked to reception, popped outside then back to the room, this took us 5 minutes maximum. The housekeeper passed us, followed by DM, neither had any laundry in their hands, if they had stripped and made up the bed they would have had linen in their hands as there was nowhere near our room to put it. In my opinion they should get an entry to the Guinness Book of World Records for the stripping and remaking of a large bed, less than 5 mins. The pillow cases looked the same i.e. like someone had already used them. The long black hair had gone unfortunately they missed a few short ones. The bathroom was disgusting. The shower door seal along the bottom was in need of a proper clean. It had brown gungy, scum stuck on the seal. The same dirt was behind the taps, which were easy to wash behind, just seemed no one had bothered and the dead daddy longlegs, which was stuck on the wall says it all re the standard of cleanliness in this hotel. Last but not least at breakfast time I picked up a cup at the coffee machine, it had baked on tomato soup or something similar stuck on it. I gave it to a member of staff, she said to her colleague ‘why can’t they check things’. I had to agree as I assume no one check my room.

Room Tip: Check room cleanliness before accepting the room given
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Love this hotel, stayed here 6 times now and will go back again. staff are pleasant, rooms clean and great location beside bars and restaurants. Only thing thats let them down is breakfast, buffet is not replenished enough and never appears to be enough staff on.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Livingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here with five friends for two nights bed and breakfast for a 40th birthday event over a Monday and Tuesday night in September. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were just what you needed. Plenty of space and very clean. You even got complimentary bottles of water along with the usual tea and coffee with biscuits. We were also given bathrobes and slippers in the room. The hotel supplied a lovely bottle of wine and chocolates for the birthday girl. Our room backed on to an area that had construction work happening, but this didn't affect our stay and was very unobtrusive. Breakfast was adequate with the usual food on offer. My only grumble was that the plates were hidden in a hot unit, with no sign to say they were in there or that they would be hot. You could easily burn yourself. The layout of the hotel was a bit of a maze and there is one floor that you cannot directly get to in the lift, which was not ideal for one of our party who was not so mobile. Not a place to stay if you are not mobile, as it is situated on a very steep hill. Overall a great place to stay, but not for the less agile.

Room Tip: If you are not mobile, make sure you ask for a room that the lift stops on. p.s give the whisky shop...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here for my husband's birthday on a "dine, stay and sparkle" deal and it was brilliant. We opted for a premium room so we could get the late 2pm checkout. The room was spacious, attractive with a nice, clean, decent size bathroom and our sparkling wine was chilling on the table when we arrived. The hotel leisure complex is great with very modern exercise equipment and a pool. We ate in the restaurant, Scholars, which was great (see separate review) and nothing was too much trouble. There was a mix up with reception who had us down for a 1pm check-out on the Sunday, but when I spoke to Nicole on reception to explain their website said 2pm check out for the offer we'd purchased, she immediately changed it with no problem. We had a fab time at this hotel and hope to return for another stay in the future.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Stirling Highland Hotel? Share your experiences!