“Good service, very good position near Gatwick airport and Horley train station” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gainsborough Lodge

You added Gainsborough Lodge to your Saves list
Gainsborough Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Massetts Rd, Horley RH6 7DT, England   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Horley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The B&B is near Gatwick airport and horley train station can be reached in ten minutes on foot. I'd like to thank all the staff for the nice service. Special thanks to the guy who served breakfast: he was very polite, helpful and fiendly..

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cocoa Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Horrible place - room was old, smelly, furniture falling apart - blankets were old - looked like they needed a good wash - but probably would have fallen apart. Dirty linens were piled outside our window in bags - we requested wake up call for early departure - never received it. We were told there would be breakfast (which we paid for) before we left on the scheduled shuttle to the airport - nothing was prepared, no one was there at reception and the only thing in the dining room were a couple of apples - no tea, no coffee, zilch. Oh, the ensuite bathroom was a joke - looked like the place was falling apart - grouting and tiles were too old and worn to have been taken care of for many years.

Did not feel safe here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I booked a room at this guest house before reading any customer reviews. When I then read the reviews I was horrified and thought about cancelling my booking. I am glad I didnt. I booked a single room with breakfast. The room was fine. I was given a double room. The bed was very comfortable, the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. Certainly the paint work could do with improving and the furniture dated but this does not affect the quality of a stay in a bed and breakfast hostelry. hHe staff were friendly, helpful and effficient. I had a cooked breakfast which was fine (when staying again I would ask that they improve the quality of the sausage). If that is the biggest complaint I can come up with this is a good example of a British bed and breakfast. I hope that the owners take heart from a good report because they deserve to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
coventry
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The place is ok. I stopped over for one night to get my flight the next day. The place is a bit tired, but clean, I slept well which was all I needed. A help yourself continental breakfast was fine. I phoned from the airport and was picked up within 10 mins, and taken back the next day, this cost £5 each trip..If I needed to stay again I would have no problem with it..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have used this place 5 times since 2005 having been passed the business card from a freind, nice cumfy beds, great staff ,breakfast and free transport to airport. On very early flights they put a "help yourself breakfast" not 5 star but ok

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here for one night before an early morning flight in mid-August 2012. After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was a bit concerned, but in the end it was absolutely fine.

I had booked a basic single room without en suite, which cost only £32 for the night. I called from Horley train station (around 8 or 9 pm) and the guy on reception gave me directions to get there on foot (took about 10-15 minutes with luggage). When I arrived, he was friendly and helpful, and arranged transfer to the airport for me for 6am the next morning (cost was £5).

The room was clean, as was the (shared) bathroom, which is all I ask for, especially at that price. Yes, the room was maybe a bit on the small side, the furniture a bit basic, and it could probably have done with a bit of redecoration, but at that price you can't really complain. The wi-fi signal was strong in my room (although the room was more or less above reception - don't know how well the wi-fi would work in other rooms).

I had to leave very early in the morning (6am), so can't comment on the breakfast.

In summary, if all you want is a place to have a few hours rest before an early flight, this place is fine, and good value. If you're looking for somewhere a bit more luxurious, then it maybe isn't for you, and you should probably book a more expensive place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stepps, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

PLEASE!!! do yourself a favour and forget booking this sorry excuse for a hotel it is disgusting, smelly and unwelcoming, we only stayed for one night as our flight left at 6 am they told us they would take us to airport in the morning but when we woke there was a taxi phone number put under our door to call!!!! overall experience absolutely VILE!!!!!"

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gainsborough Lodge? Share your experiences!