“Lovely, only once glitch but important one” 4 of 5 stars

Harmondsworth Hall
Summerhouse Lane, West Drayton UB7 0BG, England   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Lovely, only once glitch but important one”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I loved this place--it was quiet and peaceful considering it's so convenient for Heathrow. BUT I hope the owners will forgo their practice of using very stinky fabric conditioner on their sheets/pillow cases. The smell was so overpowering that I couldn't get to sleep and I had an allergic reaction to it. Soaking sheets in this toxic stuff isn't needed and isn't wise in these days of anaphylactic shocks among sensitive children and adults. Just this one factor would put me off going here again, which is a pity as otherwise it was great.

Room Tip: Whole place very quiet, 10 out of 10.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

I was looking for a reasonably priced place to stay near to Heathrow as I had an important meeting abroad and a very early start. Delighted to have found Harmondsworth Hall on the internet I called to ask about car parking arrangements before booking and was told that I could leave my car during the day I was travelling at no extra charge as I was returning that evening to collect it. The owner also had no problem with me leaving my overnight bag with her for the day. She kindly booked the local taxi LHR who were excellent and on time, including collecting me from the airport on return. Arriving around 9pm I was ushered to my room which looked rather tired and whilst the bedlinen at first glance appeared clean there were some old stains on the sheet which were off putting. The springs in the bed could be heard when I sat down and to my horror, the en-suite bathroom was of the standard you'd get in a caravan. A plastic cabin, clean but tiny and quite impractical to have a proper shower. I was extremely disappointed. The carpet, whilst hoovered, was quite stained and was in bad need of replacing. There was no full length mirror so I left before dawn for my meeting half showered and not being able to check my appearance. Additionally, although wi-fi is advertised it didn't work well/at all in the room I was in which was frustrating as I couldn't deal with some important work emails. Returning that evening I mentioned the bathroom to the owner only to discover that the room I stayed in was the only one with a bathroom of this nature and that apparently all the other rooms had proper facilities. The internet apparently works in all the other rooms as well and the owner admitted that the room needed updating. When it came to paying the bill I was charged for the car parking but I didn't say anything as actually the price was very reasonable for the room and car parking and the car park was secure so I had no worries on that score. I didn't eat breakfast as there was no time so I can't comment about that but in truth I'd think twice about staying again and if i did, I'd make sure before booking, about the room I was allocated and its facilities. Reading many other people's comments I'd agree that HH needs some serious tlc. Shame - it has so much going for it but it has to be said, despite everything, it does seem to be full.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 9 unless you're not bothered about my observations.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Blackburn, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed whilst visiting Legoland and day tripping to London. Excellent value for money £200 for two nights for 2 adults and 3 children. Oyster Cards loaned to use which saved us some money and we used tube/buses for a whole day (after 9.30 am) for us all costing a mere £16. Proprietors were superb welcoming and helpful. Defo a place to stay in the future x

• Stayed October 2011
Matulini
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Amazingly close to Heathrow with a great parking and flying package. Guest house very comfortable and old worldy. Only problem was finding it, there are no direction signs so be warned. Food is in one of 2 nearby pubs. They look lovely, but unfortunately their cooking is very naff - but cheap.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
150 Mile House, B.C. Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Booked a couple months before travelling (through a hotel booking company) looked & reviews sounded good. E-mailed facility & asked how to get there from Heathrow. Suggested local taxi called LHR said they would know the area but no phone number given so assumed (which I shouldn't have) there must be a direct line phone at airport, but not so. Finally grabbed a London taxi & he did not know the local Heathrow area so took a lot of extra time to get there - cost at least twice as much as host mentioned it should cost. She suggested it was the booking company's error that phone number of taxi was not given but I showed her the e-mail that came from her. Facility on a narrow lane and not well marked when we did get there & had to phone from end of lane to get exact location. Hostess was friendly & showed us to room which was up lots of stairs, extremely narrow hallways, my husband could only take one suitcase at a time carrying them in front of him & when we got to room was only a double bed in quite a run down looking room. Went back to tell host that we had booked a twin room (we are a mature couple & find a twin more comfortable for sleep than a regular double if a queen or king not available.) She said she had us down for a double but I showed her the confirmation which stated 'twin'. She seemed a bit agitated as apparently her daughter arrived the day before with her baby & she then told us this was the reason she did not having a twin available & there was no other option available. We told her the double would not do, we had a long international flight next day & needed a good sleep. To her credit she had her staff person that was on computer, search for something not too far away within the same price range but with twin accommodation. Finally located the last twin room another guest house a few miles away & called a taxi for us. Also was kind enough to pay for the taxi since this was their error. All in all, it was the only bad experience on our whole trip with any of our bookings. We're sorry we cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Harmondsworth Hall is an easy and convenient place to stay near Heathrow airport. The public areas of the guest house are nice (and a little quirky) and breakfast was good. However, our room was a little tired. Overall though, I don't think you'll get better value near Heathrow, particularly if you get car parking as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Wakefield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We have stayed here twice in the past five years, the first time Harmondsworth hall was beautiful and relaxing with all the surroundings of a lovely grade 2 listed building we all would love to own. We stayed again in August 2011 for 3 nights whilst exploring london, we found the Harmondsworth has grown beyond its capabilities. The breakfast arrangements are questionable with there being three tables catering for several large family rooms and a bit of a pain when your asked to return to your room until space / tables are available. The family rooms are still exceptional value though as not many / if any hotels in and around london would provide bed and breakfast for a family of 5 for £120 per night. I think this is especially good when you have little ones and you are all in the same room, we had 3 rooms on the last visit as there was 8 of us staying and i must say they were all very tired and required some tlc. I think the owners do their best to accomadate everyones needs whilst they are staying with them but ultimately when you have more and more rooms and guests there will be eliments of service that will suffer. If you have a large young familiy i would recommend Harmondsworth just for the value alone but with the added security of having all your family together. This is not a 5 star but a genuine family run bed and breakfast but would benifit from a little more attention to detail when it comes to amount of rooms versus breakfast arrangments and longevity of fixtures and fittings in well used rooms

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Harmondsworth Hall? Share your experiences!