“I thought the Thistle Hotel was wonderful!!” 4 of 5 stars

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bath Road - Longford, West Drayton UB7 0EQ, England   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
San Francisco
“I thought the Thistle Hotel was wonderful!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

I'm amazed to see such poor reviews. I stayed at the Thistle, Heathrow, for one night in April, before my return flight to California. I had stayed at another London hotel for 2 nights and found that to be really cheap and nasty -it was such a relief to be at the Thistle. The staff were very helpful, the room comfortable and very quiet (that's really important to me when I'm staying at a hotel). I had broken my wrist earlier that week and everyone there was very helpful. I had lunch and breakfast at the hotel and found the food to be very good and the service excellent. So, I'm not sure how other people had such a poor experience there - I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!!

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Shefford, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

Had a one night stay and was very worried due to other reviews. Must admit other reviews were correct this hotel just not very good, rooms a bit shabby and at this time of year the room was freezing cold the heating system was rubbish.Check in and out was slow and parking was tricky just not enough spaces. Also had shower before dinner this also cold, a hotel with not enough hot water, come on............

There are just better airport hotels than this one...

Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2005

If I were not as able-bodied and a problem-solver, I think I'd rate this hotel a 1 = Terrible.

*The initial ride to the hotel and its cost was an omen.

*The wait to get checked-in was excessive considering the staff milling about and the lack of a line/queue of patrons.

*Next, consider the long journey to my room: A labyrinthine trek that resulted in a corridor that reminded me of a never-ending hallway in a movie.

*For better and for worse a young staff is widely employed here.

*The decor is old english and nice, though showing it's age upon close inspection.

*An iron and ironing board are in the room as well as preparations for making your own tea. When the attached ironing board is in use, the hallway is impassable.

*Extra towels were in the wardrobe....they all had a smell (not necessarily bad--but not necessarily a clean scent).

*Windows do not open and there were signs of past mold/mildew in both the window well and on the bathroom ceilings.

*As my first room didn't have heat and then no internet, I was moved to another room. It had heat but the internet still did not work. I accepted that and went on with my meal (which was enjoyable). My ginger ale was 125ml...which is a quarter of ONE can of soda in the USA.

*Getting out of this hotel and the 3 pound HOPPA BUS to the airport were the highlights. Be prepared to handle all of your own luggage.

• Stayed December 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2005

We stayed at this hotel for a quick overnight before catching an early flight. The reception staff were helpful - I have a broken ankle and they offered us a ground floor room, so that was a good start. Our first impression of the room was good, but on closer inspection - it was pretty tatty and decoration had been botched. The bathroom and shower were fine. Although the room had been booked for double occupancy there was only one bath towel and one hand towel - we had to make do as we had a quick turn around in the morning. There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room - which was a nuisance and I think you should expect them bearing in mind the price.
Check out was very time consuming and we had no extras.
We used the car parking facility too, which is a bit ad hoc and we struggled to find a space. On return to the hotel to collect the car ensure you have your receipt for your hotel reservation ... they didn't believe that we had stayed at the hotel and again this was a laborious process. It was fine for what we wanted (arriving at 9.30 and leaving the following morning at 7) but I wouldn't recommend it for anything longer. It was expensive for what you got.

• Stayed December 2005
Brighton, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

Airport hotels are seldom exiting but it should not have to be this sad. It felt more like run down B&B than a four star hotel (yes, I know that the stars means nothing when it comes to how fresh it is, the atmosphere etc). If going to Heathrow chose the Jury's Inn instead - it more or less the same but is a lot nicer.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

I am very surprised to find a page of bad reviews about this hotel. I even had to check twice to make sure I was doing a review for the right hotel (I am). I stayed at the hotel for one night on Saturday 26th for a convention (The L Word). One of my friends had said she didn't think much of Thistle hotels so I was prepared for a shock. It was a good one. The room was nice, and felt new and was clean. The bed was very comfy - so much so, I didn't want to get up! It is cold in England this time of year and the room was freezing when we arrived but the heater warmed it up very quickly. For some reason the corridors outside the room were quite cold. There wasn't a lift which was a bit annoying for people with lots of luggage. There is a restaurant which served food which was good although a bit expensive (£10 for pizza). Also we got to the hotel on a Hoppa bus which was supposed to come every 10-15mins and it took over 30mins, so probably best to leave some time if anyone is taking that! I was quoted £8 for a taxi. To conclude, if I needed a place to stay near the airport again, I would stay there!

Stayed November 2005
vancouver,bc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2005

I wish I had read these reviews but i made a last minute booking on the internet,the price was Ok
firstly we had to park a mile away from reception,the parking lot is huge and FULL
On checking in they had no record of my reservation(luckily I had a print out of my confirmation)although there were a lot of staff at the check in desk most of them were involved in decorating for xmas.I spent about 40 mins while the desk clerk kept disappearing for ages she finally assigned me a room but only because i insisted!
then we hauled our luggage up the stairs(no elevator)and hiked to our room which had garbage sitting outside the door.the room was ok,small but it stunk,we had to pick up some air freshner.the only good thing you could say was the rubber ducks in the bathroom were cute.
we didnt attempt breakfast but the lounge had all the atmosphere of a funeral home.
since receiving my credit card bill i see they charged me twice...cant wait to sort this out.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!