“Horrible hotel with horrible staff” 1 of 5 stars

Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bath Road - Longford, West Drayton UB7 0EQ, England   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in West Drayton
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Horrible hotel with horrible staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We arrived early evening on New Years Day. Our problems began at checkin when we were told that our offer of dinner included in our booking could not be met as the restaurant that did these meals was closed. We were then told that we could eat in their other restaurant but we would have to pay. I was not happy at all and requested that I see the manager - I was then told that he was not in the hotel until 9 am next day. I said who is in charge then - me i was told by the idiot doing my check in. A heated exchange then happened and I told him he could at least honour our meal in the open restaurant but this arrogant jumped up desk boy was not budging. He told me that I would have to contact my travel agent - I laughed and told that was him as I had booked direct. He continued with his arrogant stance - I got my keys to the room.

The room was okay typical dingy airport hotel. We ate out ion one of the local restaurant pubs in West Drayton which was good.

At check out I was asked if everything was okay - i then asked for the manager and told no he wouldn't speak to me. I told them fine I would be contacting my credit card company to reverse my room payment as they had not honoured my contract. The desk clerk then got the manager - who tried to get aggressive with me in as I told him what i would be doing. I told him in no terms would I ever stay in any Thistle Hotel again as their attitude was shocking. Selling dining packages and then trying to rip people off.

Quite frankly the people who run this hotel are the most horrible hotel staff I have ever encountered.

I took up the problem with my credit card company - who reversed the transaction and credited my account for the whole amount. Weeks later I got an invoice from the hotel asking for the full original amount (which cheekily included the non existent food). I never replied and put the invoice in the bin. I have heard no more. If only they had been a bit more accommodating they would have got paid.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was disappointed in the hotel.
Had to change rooms as my room smelt of smoke. The second room was better but both rooms looked like they have seen better days. There were marks on the walls including in the bathroom which could have been wiped off & the carpet could have been cleaner.
Dinner was included but it was also disappointing. Breakfast was fine.
The public areas were good especially the Aviation bar with a view of Terminal 5!
Raj, the Food & Beverage Manager was particularly helpful & friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We booked a night's stay before flying and a night on the return together with car parking for the duration of the holiday. Parking is on-site and you take your keys with you - I regard this as better than letting your car be parked somewhere you don't know.
Reception staff were helpful and friendly as were the restaurant and bar staff.
The room was small and the decor a little tired but generally OK. My only grouse was that to get to the room you need to carry a heavy bag up two steps - this is OK unless you have mobility problems - a ramp would be a great help.
The bar is a bit expensive but you do get good service and a great view of the runway. WE had breakfast in the restaurant - service was OK and the content of the buffet breakfast good. Again you get a good view of the runway.
I shall be using this hotel next time we fly out of Heathrow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

quite dated rooms and bathrooms but clean. good bar with a great viewing terrace of the airport. veeeeerrry looooong corridors make sure your cas has wheels. i left my lap top in my room, the hotel found it put it to one side and informed me. i went back 4 hours later and it was waiting for me at reception. its an additional £10 on top of the room rate for parking. bear that in mind when booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I chose the Thistle because it was slightly cheaper than the hotel opposite. The staff was nice and polite, but the hotel has seen better days. I arrived tired, ready to go up to my room, only to be told that there was not lift, so the porter would carry the case up in about 10 minutes.
As I was eager to go to bed , I took it myself.
The room is rather small and the interior tired. I have to do stretching exercises on the floor . Being THAT close to the carpet was not nice. During its lifetime a lot of hairs appeared to have worked their way into it ...yuck !
The hotel was rather noisy. Not the aeroplanes, but the corridors. A lot of sounds from the rooms next door too.
I am afraid, I won t come again :(
Also, it appeared that the staff purposely didn t tell people that there was indeed a free bus as an alternative to the £ 4.00 Hotel Hopper one. Are they on commission ?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
España
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is the typical hotel you can find near an airport. But I was moved to write a review because of the attention to detail they all had. As example:

Having booked a taxi for my leaving morning at a certain time, confirmed with the taxi company, I was waiting close to the main door. Not five minutes after the expected time, the person at the front desk addressed me to ask me if I was waiting for a taxi, then asked for the destination and, confirming that it was the one she knew about, told me that it had already arrived and left, about 30 minutes before. Then she proceeded to call the taxi company again and ordered another taxi. I felt cared for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Rooms were fresh and clean. Enough space to accommodate my bags and move around the room. Bit of noise from rooms either side/corridor but overall good for a one night pre-flight stop. Much improved since my last stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Thistle London Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!