“Very Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Australia
“Very Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

The criteria for our group of 6 in hotel choice was safety, cleanliness, rooms with on-suite facilities. We were also aware of the extremely high cost for accommodation in the UK. We were also very hesitant with all the poor reviews & dodgy looking hotels we viewed through the internet & these were rooms at GBP70 per person per nite!! Whilst I was wary of the poor reviews of the Ibis Heathrow, I was prepared to give them a go for the 12-night stay. First, I had experience with Accor Hotels in my travels for work & leisure & had stayed at Ibis in Sydney & Germany. Surely an international chain would live up to its reputable image.

We were not disappointed - the housekeeping & restaurant staff were friendly, rooms were clean with ample supplies of fresh towels, good strong showers with plenty of hot water. The double glazed windows prevented the noise of airplanes. The biggest plus was the convenience of catching the free buses to the Airport & then using the daily off-peak Travelcard to get into London & anywhere within the 6 zones. We stayed for 12 nights & the Ibis was our home. The French General Manager Pierre & Johan the Deputy Manager went out of their way to ensure our every need was catered for.

The one comment we would like to make is the provision of variety in fruits at breakfast, salads & meats at the dinner buffet. Whilst we understand that most of their patrons stay overnight, those who stay for multi nights need to have a break from the monotony of orange & grapefruit segments at breakfast, lentil salad, coleslaw, beetroot, chicken legs, roast lamb at the dinner buffets. Also, the cook on Sunday definitely can't cook as well as the cook on other nights. The Sunday cook need further training in roasting meat so that it's not tough like leather. Maybe he should not have used that topside beef!

Overall, we had a pleasant stay & would definitely recommend our friend for lonfer stay. Well done........& particularly impressed with the management!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

At first I was very hesitant to choose the Ibis based on the existing reviews of this site but a personnal friend recommended it and assured me that all would be fine. I therefore stayed at the Ibis Heathrow for one night as I had to catch a flight early the next morning. I found it to be everything you could expect. The rooms were clean and functionnal, the food was of very decent quality and the staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful, (even the French General Manager showed he cared).

Check-in, check-out Access to terminal 3 the next day were all absolutely painless, all in all a very stisfying experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

OK, this hotel has no soul. But it is very close to the airport, very competitively priced, and will always be my hotel of choice for a stopover (which I do frequently). If what you want is a cheap bed, comfortable room, and OK food, then this is your hotel. Nothing special, but one of the most competitively-priced for stop-over travellers. The rooms are clean and have everything you need. The restaurant is nothing to write home about but has decent food. And access to Heathrow (bus or otherwise) is very easy and quick. The Ibis is far far cheaper than most other options that close to Heathrow, and for that alone it gets my vote. The rooms have windows that open, which is unfortunately all too rare these days.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

What a comedy of errors. I had booked two rooms - one in my name and one in my mother's (same last name). When I arrived, I had to first figure out how to get the car into the parking lot. That required a card from the front desk. After the third attempt at getting a card, somehow my husband got the car in, but with no help from staff. I met my mother at the desk (we had travelled from different places). She wanted a room change as the toilet would not flush. She got her room changed. I was checked in. We asked for the other's room number and found we had both been checked into the same room within 5 minutes of each other. Back in line to ask if we could have two rooms. The fellow who corrected this situation told us the person who had checked me into my mother's room was a trainee and "didn't know anything". OK, so why is he on the front desk? I had a triple, she had a double. Something made me ask what she had been charged (they require payment on checking in). She had paid the triple room rate, so we needed to get a refund for the overcharge. The rooms were very small. In fact, the triple was no larger than a double room, it just had a bed in a cupboard in the wall that folded out, making the room even smaller. For this we paid an extra GBP 10? The next morning, the elevator was out of order and stuck on our floor making it impossible to call another elevator. When I checked out, they told me I hadn't paid when checking in and had to give up on that when I showed them my receipt from the night before. This is a classic for management ineptness. I would try any of the other hotels near Heathrow (there are a string of them where the Ibis is) before I would ever go back to that sorry excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Leuven
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

One of the "cheaper" hotels near Heatrow airport. We stayed 1 night. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We had an mysterious "extra" on our bill, we sended a letter for this to costumers service but don't got answer. Rooms were small but clean. When we flushed the toilet in the bathroom we had to wait 5 minutes to flush it again so I didn't work as it should. We paid 53 pounds which is in my eyes to much for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

The room that I got had the old mattresses in them but apart from that its a busy well located Hotel. Nice bar and cheap buffet when I was there for around 11Pounds. The rooms are well insulated and you wont hear any noise and its within walking distance to Avis Car Rental and the buses stop in front.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We have found the hotel well appointed for the airport with a most helpful staff,
rooms are clean and tidy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ibis London Heathrow Airport? Share your experiences!