“Absolutely wonderful hotel, exceptional value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book No & Save Up To 20%
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hayes
England
“Absolutely wonderful hotel, exceptional value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed here either side of a business trip to Finland, using the hotel's park & fly package. This is my default airport hotel when travelling and enough time has elasped since my last review to post another.

The good news is that it is still brilliant, brilliant being defined as: very high levels of guest service, high quality rooms, a good restaurant and great value for money.

It is a fairly large hotel and with some many rooms and its proximity to Heathrow, it always has a welcoming buzz. The staff are always attentive, polite, professional and above all friendly.

The rooms are comfortable, well-equipped and well-insulated (you can't hear the planes taking off & landing). All have the wonderful Radisson beds that really do aid a good night's sleep. Most rooms now have all the Freeview channels and decent size TVs on which to watch them. The standard rooms are a little compact - although this size room would be 'generous' in the West End tourist trap hotels - but perfectly useable. The deluxe rooms are noticeably more spacious and if I was travelling with someone else, with a couple of bags each, this would be my choice of room.

The Oceanic restaurant offers a reasonable range of dishes, with an American theme, so plenty of hot dogs, burgers and US-style sandwiches. Room service is also pretty good with more 'snack' style dishes. Oceanic doubles as a bar and there is also the Bijou bar; Bijou is superb, with a distinct decor and feel that is both welcoming and relaxing.

The park & fly package allows you to leave your car at the hotel and then have a chauffeur take you to your chosen terminal. Upon return, you can be met at the terminal with your car, so you can drive straight off. When you compare this option to that of airport parking, it is excellent value for money, particularly as some of the park & fly packages also include an attractive discount on dinner in the restaurant the night before you fly.

As a cheaper alternative, the hotel is also on the hoppa-bus route that goes - I think - to most terminals.

For me, there are three absolute stand-out qualities at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow;

1. The laundry. Presumably as the hotel deals with travellers who are passing through, often on a deadline, it is well versed in providing a prompt laundry service. Whenever I have used it, my items have been returned within a few hours, beautifully cleaned and presented.

2. The staff. Large chain hotels can be soulless, corporate spaces where the staff are quite aloof. Here, they all seem to be enjoying their work and 9 times out of 10, when you pass any member of staff in one of the corridors, they will greet you with a smile and hello. I have a theory on this; the hotel is well aware that people in airport hotels are likely to be away from home and loved ones - especially those on business - and so being very friendly is a way of making guests feel welcome and offsetting that feeling of being away from home. It works particularly well in the restaurant, where it often feels very maternal. It is a very subtle yet clever skill.

3. The value for money. The rooms here are usually less than half the cost of the other Radisson Blu Edwardian properties in the West End. In fact you could stay here and probably get a taxi in & out of the West End and still spend less than staying in the West End. The guest experience is better than many 5* hotels for much less money, so it represents great value for money. I'd also suggest that trading up from a budget hotel chain to the Radisson Heathrow will start and/or round off your holiday with something that bit special and is worth the extra cost.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CraigRadBluEd, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
Thank you for this review, now we are in 2014, This Hotel has been transformed, We now have state of the art Audio Visual equipment in lovely new Conference Rooms.

We are planning to open a Fish & Chip Shop in 2015 too.

You will be surprised at the difference.. Come and see the changes for yourself.

Craig Lawson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Cedar Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This hotel was so very friendly & helpful to us in everyway. Yasmin went out of her way to help give us directions to downtown London & the best deal for the 6 of us to get to the airport the next day + the amentities of the room. A very attractive place, complimentary internet & a McDonald's next door if one so desired. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: The room key is needed to turn on the lights in the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
CraigRadBluEd, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2014

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have stayed in a number of hotels around Heathrow due to connections at Heathrow, and some of them have not been worth the money and run down. I have to say, I was surprised at the quality of the hotel. Front desk were helpful and friendly. Rooms very nice and clean. Bathroom was clean. Will stay there next time

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CraigRadBluEd, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2014

Sequim, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My honey and I stayed one night at the Edwardian Radisson near Heathrow Airport in London. We were upgraded to a deluxe king room that overlooked the parking lot. The room was dandy, but the best part of the hotel was the staff.

The next morning we had reserved a car for the trip to Gatwick airport. The car did not arrive on time and after waiting thirty minutes the concierge arranged for the hotel’s service to take us to the airport.

When we checked in, the first room we were given was on the inside of the hotel that looked into another part of the hotel. The room was dark and uninviting. I returned to the desk and staff immediately upgraded us to an outside room with some natural light. The room was great, but all of the staff was outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with natural light from the windows. The rooms on the inside are dark withour any sun...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I agree with the previous reviewer - the Sofitel beats this hands down. After a painfully slow check in, I went to collect a parcel which the hotel had agreed I could have delivered there. They couldn't find it so I went for dinner (bland but surprisingly not over priced) and went back where they had located it. As what I ordered did not fit the kindly agreed to send it back to me.
The problems started the next morning. The clock said 6am, the alarm goes off. I had not set this, this was kindly left on by the previous guest and the cleaner had not reset it. The clock, I realised later, had not been set back an hour so in reality this was 5am. After already been woken at 3.30 by my deaf neighbours telly, I wasn't amused. I managed to get back asleep only to be awoken by slamming doors at 7.30 when I eventually got up. My flight was not until 14.50 but I was on a stop over from Spain hence the need for a room. Why don't hotels have soft close doors?
I went down to reception to complain and they could quite clearly see something about the previous guest which made sense re the alarm clock. I was offered a whole £5 for my troubles. I refused and they then offered me breakfast which. Didn't want and a taxi to the airport which I didn't need I was getting the bus. Finally they offered me 25% off my dinner. Dinner was not the problem the accommodation was but the manager said she was not authorised to take anything off the room which I found stupid.
I then asked for an adaptor plug as I had stupidly forgotten mine. Concierge told me they had none. Reception told me there was a hair dryer in the room. There was and it promptly blew up. So I went back down where they were trying to arrange me a new hairdryer when another man from concierge popped up with 'are you still looking for an adaptor plug?' I informed him I was and he gave me one saying he needed a £20 deposit. I had no money on me, why would I, only came down because the hairdryer had blew up and told him to put it on the room. He said he would trust me ( as if I'd steal an adaptor plug) to bring it back down. So the previous we don't have any line was a lie which. Don't appreciate.
Just don't stay here its a £96 joke with the hidden taxes.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Don’t stay here – stay at the Sofitel up the road and get a cab.

This is a hotel that seems to define luxury by box ticking a few facilities and the price it charges.

From it’s agonisingly slow bureaucratic check in, to a restaurant that closes before the websites advertised hours to the shambolic VIP transfers (hint: if it’s booked for a time your guests expect it turn up on time) all add up to demonstrate a profound lack of understanding of what an airport hotel, let alone a luxury hotel should be.

Oh and talking of the website site be awake of the rather naughty rates – whilst no surprise for our American friends – Europeans will be for a nasty shock to find tax added on as an extra – be warned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Brief overnight stop before flying. The hotel seems to be used by aircrew which is always a good omen for a quality nights sleep. Reception was very efficient & friendly on check in, but needed more staff on check out so leave plenty of time. Very trendy bar. Decent nights sleep. I parked my car their for 10 days. On return their is a machine to pay which was not accepting credit cards. A long queue at reception then stalled departure as thety had to take everyones payments. Frustrating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Virginia_Heathrow, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very happy to see that you found our reception team very efficient, friendly and ready to help. I will certainly pass these comments to the lobby team as it is a great motivator for them to keep the good work up. It is also a delight to read that you had a great night's sleep.

However, it is a bit uncomfortable to read that you found the parking payment a bit frustrating. The engineer has recently fixed these pay stations and assured us that our guests won’t experience any further problems in the future whilst paying by credit card at these machines. We also apologise for the queue you experienced upon check-out. I would like to let you know that we have promptly addressed this issue by recruiting another receptionist to cover the desk at this busy time of the morning.

To add to that, if you would consider returning having appreciated the comfort of our rooms and the high level of customer service offered, I would be delighted to assist you with a future reservation.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you back here at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow in the near future.

Best wishes
Virginia Mariscal

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow Hotel? Share your experiences!