“Da food eat good” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Baldock, United Kingdom
“Da food eat good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

As a Jamaica would say " Da food eat good !" .....but they would also say... "Laaad it expensive and dear"

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

63% Recommend
North West London
“Not what I expected...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We went for a 50th Birthday, the food was buffet style. I remember not going back for seconds which would be rare for me!!! The food was not memorable and in my opinion due to the fact it was a buffet the food was over cooked by the time we ate.

Can’t comment on the price as we did not pay, even so not a memorable free meal.

Having said this the menu itself does sound appealing and the starters were very well presented and the rum punch was very strong. Our host/restaurant manager was very friendly and smiley the whole time we were there.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Tasty Food. Tasty price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This restaurant is sited close to abandoned factories, warehouses, boatyards and general dereliction. Paradoxically it is also close by some of the most expensive water front apartments in West London. The other restaurants adjacent to this one have all closed down bar one that will probably close soon. You don't want to be walking around the streets close by at night time.

So, Glistening Waters : I know this restaurant has been here for some years so whatever I say will make no difference. They must have a good loyal clientelle.

The restaurant was empty of patrons when we entered apart from two who were just leaving.
When a restaurant is empty and remains so, patrons should be able to just go and sit where they want without having to explain why they don't want to sit right by the entrance door.
If it wasn't for the abundance of empty chairs we would have had nowhere to put our coats. No-one offered to take them and the chairs are not suitable for hanging coats over the backs of. I didn't see any coat hangers either. I guess the floor has to do, if and when, the restaurant is full.

Our first waitress was the young Caribbean girl we had seen outside having a fag as we arrived.
Our second waitress came to tell us that the first one either couldn't read her own writing or hadn't understood our food order despite the fact that I had to point to things on the menu and saw her write things down (I could see she was having a problem almost as if this was the first time she had actually seen a menu) I was told later that she was new to the job. Second waitress took our order again.

Second waitress returned some minutes later to tell us they had no Sea Bass and none of the wine we had ordered. It's not a hugely extensive menu or wine list so perhaps the waiting staff should have been briefed about food and wine availability.
We ordered the other, more expensive, fish on the menu and had to persuade them to only charge the same price as Sea Bass. They should have made this offer themselves. We had to wait five minutes to find out what Callaloo (on the menu) was. 'Good question!' said the waitress. Surely it's their job to know? (It's a kind of spinach)
I got the impression these amateurs were both new to the job of waiting.

My partner was still eating her main course when the waitress came and said 'Have you both finished?' followed by 'Oh, I'll give you more time then'. Gee thanks. It was still only 8.30 so they weren't exactly looking to close up just yet.

This restaurant is ridiculously expensive. For this I expect knowledgeable staff and professional service. If the food was half the price I would describe the service as charming and quirky. At this price I call it amateur and disinterested.

The food did taste good. It came out of the kitchen rather quickly. The portions are reasonable (except the potato soup, a small bowl for £7.30!!)

No one said 'thank you', or 'goodbye' when we left. Waitress number one half heartedly went to open the door but I was there already. So not impressed.

The prices are really stupid. They automatically add twelve and a half percent service charge. The wines are overpriced by at least five pounds a bottle. I guess they have to charge so much to pay for the manageresses wig collection.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“A true hidden gem - seek it out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Caribbean cooking must be one of the most underrated areas of cuisine - perhaps there are just not enough restaurants around to spread the word. Glistening Waters is a fantastic example though and well worth trying out. It has a varied menu and the food is prepared with great care, bringing out the wonderful and unique aromas and spices of the West Indies but mixing that tradition with more modern ingredients too for a contemporary slant on many of the dishes.

We were given some tasty dumplings to nibble on while we waited and then I started with fried plantain rounds with ackee and saltfish while my wife had smoked mackerel with mashed green bananas - both were delicious and beautifully presented. My main course of curried mutton was just how it should be - hot and full of flavour - and the rice and peas it came with was perfect. My wife had drunken chicken with rice and peas and the spices in this combined with the red wine sauce were a revelation. We also had a serving of sweet potatoes roasted in thyme and this was perfect for soaking up the delicious sauces from our mains. We finished by sharing a superb rum cake with rum cream from a delectable menu of tropical desserts.

Meals come with some very nicely prepared additions like an excellent range of authentic Caribbean sides, some fantastic cocktails (including a wicked rum punch) and perhaps my favourite, the wonderful Jamiacan Blue Mountain coffee (as well as a Blue Mountain coffee liqueur which you don't often see in the UK). They also have both Red Stripe and Dragon Stout if you prefer beers.

Service is warm, friendly and cheerful (Sandra is a star!) and the decor is modern and inviting - there was a good atmosphere on the night we went too. The food and drink are the highlights though - if you like a bit of spice and fancy a change from the usual, you won't go far wrong with a visit to Glistening Waters.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great food n service , hidden away 7/10”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I've been here b4 2-3 years ago and enjoyed then, but even enjoyed more this time.
Tucked away down little side street leading to riverside area, good size place , about 8 tables, has bar area.
Lovely reading menu loads of tough choices.
We had mackerel avocado green banana tower ,(very nice delicate flavour of green banana) prawns in chilli sauce (was ok) , mutton curry (nice tender meat the gravy cud of been hotter), seabass with swt potato calaloo mash (well cooked n mash excellent) then had sides of calaloo n hard food .
Service was excellent throughout, music good, food vgood n presentation was nice too, only complaint wud be the tv on the wall, very distracting.
Wud return but not in a rush n abit of a journey if ur not a local.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere