“Lovely Boutique hotel but be careful on checkout” 4 of 5 stars

Vincent
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 Lord Street, Southport PR8 1JR, England   |
Ranked #5 of 32 hotels in Southport
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Boutique hotel but be careful on checkout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here Easter weekend, be had studio room with breakfast.

Fast easy check in and showed to our room by helpful doorman.

Room was good size and really comfy huge bed. Nice view towards the sea front.

Strange looking bath which is deceiving as looks small but it's perfect size

We had room service for tea which has really nice couldn't fault it and we ordered breakfast in bed.
This was the only problem we had, we asked if there was any extra charge for items for breakfast in we told there was just a tray charge, that's fine.

After a lovely breakfast we checked out I thought he bill was more expensive than I expected but being naive just signed and walked away, the bill wasn't broken down clearly enough.

After walking around southport for a while it played on my mind that I may have been overcharged as I read a previous review that someone else was overcharged on checkout and never said anything, so when we went back to collect out bags we questioned it and was told it was extra charge for eggs Benedict and hot chocolate for breakfast, we questioned this as we already paid for breakfast and they admitted error and removed the fee from my bill which totalled £17 doesn't sound a lot but if it happens to a few people it will mount up.

So my advice is stay here because its a lovely boutique hotel probably the best looking hotel in southport but be wary on checkout for any unsuspecting times added to your bill

Room Tip: Check your bill on checkout
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheVincentHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Vincent, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the VINCENT on Trip Advisor.
I am very pleased at how much you enjoyed your stay, and the décor and facilities of the VINCENT hotel.
Regarding the pricing with breakfast, the inclusive breakfast price refers to the full English and continental breakfast items available in the café on the buffet. If you are to order a dish off the menu such as Eggs Benedict there will be an extra charge.
I am extremely sorry if this was not clarified on ordered breakfast, and I am glad that the reception staff were able to rectify your bill.
I hope that we will welcome you back soon for another stay in our award winning comfy beds on your next visit to Southport.

626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We were travelling to Edinburgh for an easter weekend and needed a place to break up the journey as we were travelling from Bristol. One quick look at trip advisor and we took a chance on the Vincent. Upon arrival, our bags were collected from the car and I took advantage of the valet parking.. Which is highly recommended as it makes the whole checking in procedure painless. We arrived early evening and rather then eat in the restaurant we took advantage of room service where we had excellent fish and chips and seafood risotto, both of which were excellent. We stayed in an executive room, which was well appointed with wifi, sky tv, high quality appointments. Very good all in all.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting such a lovely review of the VINCENT hotel on Trip Advisor. I do hope that your trip to Edinburgh was enjoyable, and I am delighted that we were a pleasant stop over point on your journey.
I shall pass your fabulous comments onto our chefs and our friendly and helpful team on reception.
I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the VINCENT soon, hopefully for more than one night!
North west England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night in April to celebrate my husband's birthday and to visit the theatre. The hotel is very centrally located on Lord Street which is the main street through Southport. The town itself does seem to have suffered in recent years with a number of shops on Lord Street and the other main shopping streets closed down. However the Vincent is just the kind of upmarket establishment that makes a trip to Southport still worthwhile. We'd requested a quiet room on a high floor and were pleased that this was accommodated. Check in was very quick with friendly staff who asked if they could help with dinner reservations. The hotel is modern in style, corridors and rooms are quite dark I guess to add to the ambiance. The room could have been better lit in terms of make up application but this is a minor point really. Nice room, huge soft king sized bed, lots of gadgets and gizmos that we didn't really use but each to their own and if we had been there longer may have made use of. Nice bathroom with good shower and lovely "white company" toiletries. The shower was a step in type wouldn't be good for anyone with mobility problems but I expect if you asked when booking guests could be accommodated in a different room with walk in shower. We had a good nights sleep, our room was at the rear of the hotel. In the afternoon we had a drink in the ground floor bar, clever use of mirrors makes this bar appear much larger than it actually is but was really nice with comfortable seats and friendly bar staff. We popped back later for a nightcap after the theatre but by this time the bar was quite busy with kind of cool disco thing going on, not our scene as just wanted quiet drink but others were enjoying it. Breakfast was buffet self service with lots of choice of hot and cold food included in the price we had paid, you could ask for different items for a small surcharge which seemed fair but really you don't need to. Only small point was we were only offered a single cup of coffee no refill but I'm sure if you asked you could have one. Whilst in Southport we had an early dinner at the Warehouse Restaurant which is I think affiliated to the Vincent in some way. We had a really nice meal, good food, wine and friendly service. Would definitely stay here again, worth checking out the offers on the hotel website, would have liked to stay a bit longer and use the spa will do next time. Check out a bit early being 11 am an extra hour would be nice but we were checked out efficiently by very friendly team on the front desk.

Room Tip: 5th floor rear of hotel room very quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the VINCENT hotel on Trip Advisor.
It sounds like you had a great stay here in Southport and I am delighted that the VINCENT was part of the enjoyment! The Warehouse Kitchen & Bar is our sister restaurant and very popular with guests to the VINCENT and also with locals.
Just to mention that on your next stay a light up vanity mirror can be requested from reception to help with applying makeup!
I hope that we can welcome you back soon for another visit, and this time you will be able to test out the spa too!
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had a fantastic night here after booking at short notice but still got a really good b&b deal. We also ate in their restaurant in the evening.

All the staff were a wonderful combination of very friendly but professional at the same time, nothing was too much trouble for anybody. Dinner and breakfast were both fantastic, we couldn't fault anything and dinner was particularly good value for money given the quality of everything we ate. The Smores Board was one of the best puddings I've ever had!

We loved the bedroom's modern decor but it may feel a bit dark for some people and the bed is as comfy as they claim; definitely the best hotel bed we've ever slept in.

There are 2 reasons we only gave the room 4 stars. We are both wheelchair users and the super kingsize bed (which will be great for most) was so big it reduced the amount of space left in the bedroom for us. Also, although the bathroom was large and had a great accessible shower some elements of the design could be better. If it had a higher toilet (like the public accessible toilet) and a full size basin with a shelf above it, we would have given the room that 5th star.

Despite these minor points we look forward to staying at the Vincent again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review of the VINCENT hotel on Trip Advisor.
I shall pass on your lovely comments to the staff, I am sure they will be delighted with your comments.
Regarding the accessibility for you during your stay, we shall keep in mind your comments if we come to change the layouts or facilities in our accessible rooms. Thank you for pointing out some of the issues which you faced, however I am very glad that it didn’t seem to affect your enjoyment of the stay too much.
We shall look forward to welcoming you back with open arms during your next visit to the VINCENT.
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at the Vincent for the first time in 2011, when I took my Mum for a Mothers / Birthday treat, we ate at the hotel both nights during that stay & had treatments in the spa, all of which were lovely. I stayed again during February 2013 for three nights, once again I ate in the restaurant twice, which is still very good, but the staff did struggle with a large party of us on the Saturday afternoon which we had pre booked for my Aunt's 70th birthday. We were kept waiting for 30 minutes in the bar before the table was ready, which was in a bit of an untidy state (food on the floor, tables unwiped etc), there was also a bit of a misunderstanding about the birthday cake which the staff initially refused to serve but this was eventually sorted out. I stayed in a room specifically designed for guests with a disability, which was huge & very quiet, apart from on the Saturday night when a Wedding reception on the floor beneath kept me awake until 1.30 am. The Vincent overall is very stylish hotel, the rooms are luxurious, they serve a good breakfast & you can have a lovely evening without having to venture out of the door.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking Lord Street can be quite noisy at night, especially at the weekend & if y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about the VINCENT hotel on Trip Advisor.
It is always wonderful to hear back from returning guests, I am sorry that your second visit was slightly marred at points but it seems that the staff were able to rectify things.
Regarding the noise from the wedding, we do try to keep non wedding guests in rooms higher up, I can only assume that on the night you stayed that the hotel was busy and we were unable to move you to a higher floor. I am extremely sorry about this and hope that next time such an event will not occur again.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the VINCENT soon, whether it is for a trip to the V-Spa, the V-Café, or an overnight stay.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've ofetn walked past the Vincent and looked longingly through the windows, but our wedding anniversary falling over Easter was just the excuse needed to book a suite.
Everything about The Vincent ouses class and service excellence.
Having your name already programmed into the lcd TV saying welcome was a nice touch.
We stayed in a corner residence one up from the standard room as we booked this using their late availability booking hotline which made it more affordable.
The room was impeccable and the bed was so comfortable and huge with crisp cotton sheets.
The bath and shower room were fantaastic too.
Included in our special late price was the buffet breakfast, which must be the best breakfast in Southport. Really good quality with huge range of food and drink in a wonderful setting.
Can't wait for another excuse to book-in again. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

The hotel also has an exlusive VIP bar, where celebs are often seen but rarely reported on which just shows that the hotel is discrete and professional.

One thing to improve on, a little extra milk in the mini bar for hot drinks would be appreciated.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the busy Lord Street side might be noisier than the back, but you get to see life goin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of the VINCENT on Trip Advisor!
We are delighted at how much you seem to have enjoyed your wedding anniversary, and very proud that you chose us to celebrate it with you!
Our award winning comfy beds, and the little touches we add to make sure our guests feel special are why we are the best hotel around!
I shall pass on your great comments to the restaurant, bar and team of chefs about the food & drink, and also to housekeeping about the room.

I hope that you are able to find another excuse to return to us soon so that we can welcome you back to -V-
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My daughter recently celebrated her wedding here and all I can say it was brilliant. Everything about the hotel was excellent, the hotel rooms, the venue rooms, all the staff (especially Simon who was the M/C for the day) and the food (breakfasts and wedding fayre), couldn't fault anything. All we had to do was enjoy the special day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TheVincentHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Vincent, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the VINCENT hotel and our functions team!
We are delighted that you were able to enjoy your daughters special day, our events team work hard to ensure that it is a smooth day for guests, so that all you have to do is enjoy the celebrations.
I shall pass on the lovely comments to Simon, and his team of waiting on staff and the chefs.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon for a stay or just some supper in the V-Café!

Been to Vincent? Share your experiences!