“Best day of my life!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Southport
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Best day of my life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was married at the Vincent on 9th November 2012 and cannot recommend this venue enough. When we went to see it in March it was the first venue we went to see- it was also the last! We were able to book using their amazing £2012 deal which was a good £3000 cheaper than the hotel I'd been eyeing up in Liverpool on the internet.

The bar areas are beautifully decorated in warm golds and browns with bronze mirrors and hardwood floors. This colour scheme is echoed throughout the hotel and it looks so luxurious- they have also recently changed the galleria flooring from carpet (which I didn't like to be honest) to a gorgeous dark wood parquet floor- it looked amazing and was a lovely surprise the day before the wedding!

The galleria room offered the flexibility to keep the wedding intimate (36 day guests and 75 evening)- I was worried that my guests would look marooned in a massive room but the galleria can be split in half with one end used for your ceremony- the opposite end for your wedding breakfast and the back to the ceremony end for the evening reception. One of the other major selling points for the Vincent is that your wedding party takes over the first floor- you get your own black carpet entrance, staircase, bar, toilets, cloakroom and function rooms. This was perfect for me as it meant my guests couldn't wander away from the action into other areas of the hotel (Wedding guests aren't allowed into the Tony McGee bar anyway...)

I can't rate the staff highly enough- Clare and Joanne, the events coordinators, were extremely patient with me considering I was probably the most disorganised bride ever! They kept in touch with me via email and phone calls and we had a few face to face meetings before the wedding which helped us both organise ourselves. They were also extremely understanding when family circumstances meant that I was awol! Simon, the master of ceremonies, was absolutely brilliant. He (along with Clare's detailed notes) kept the day running smoothly and was so lovely to us both. He was very calm and professional throughout the day and it was quite apparent that he was well respected by all of his wonderful staff as well. He really kept the day flowing over- and even let us have one final dance before the party ended which is one of my favourite memories of the night- Thank you!

The food throughout the day was absolutely delicious- all of our day guests were absolutely stuffed- so much so that most of them didn't manage to sample the delicious evening buffet.

We stayed in the Vincent the night before the wedding and the night of the wedding. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the beds are like sleeping on a cloud- if I could've smuggled one out I would have! The breakfasts are lovely- honey sausages, thick bacon and all of the continental breakfast choices too. One of my bridesmaids managed to wolf down a four course breakfast as it was all so tasty.

I'd highly recommend eating in the V-restaurant, we had a lovely big family meal the night before the wedding- there's an amazing gourmet dinner offer on at the moment with 2 courses for £13.99 (ish- I think!), the menu changes but let me tell you the sushi is to die for so have a gamble and get the 'taste of asia' option. We have adopted the restaurant as our new romantic evening meal place to go as the Vincent holds such brilliant memories for us both, the service is great and the food is fabulous.

The only thing I would say to brides staying the night before is make sure that you get an illuminated mirror from reception as the room mirrors are tinted and also bring your own dressing gown as they are not provided.

I genuinely have no criticisms of the Vincent or its staff. The whole day was absolutely perfect. Having just received my wedding photos we are both so pleased that we went with our first choice as they look amazing- I'd also recommend photographs on the bandstand outside the hotel and by the war memorial gardens which is less than 3 minutes walk away. My only suggestion would be that it would have been more suitable for me if the hotel offered a corkage fee for me to have been able to give our guests a choice of drinks during the meal as due to a lot of non-drinkers/ fussy guests which made buying alcohol through the hotel too expensive for my budget. It's literally the only thing I can think of that I might have taken up had it been offered.

I hope the staff at the Vincent get to read this! Thank you so much for all you did to make our day feel so special, we have so many brilliant memories of the day and will be back soon!

Rachael & James. :)

Room Tip: If you're a bride staying the night before double check with the hotel which rooms are biggest a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheVincentHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Vincent, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you Rachel & James for such a fantastic review about your wedding at the VINCENT on Trip Advisor! We have passed your positive comments onto our staff who are all delighted that you really enjoyed your special day.
We love our new galleria function room floor too and are so happy that you found it to be a lovely surprise for your big day!
Clare, Joanne, Simon and our Chef are all very happy that you felt relaxed and happy as the day flowed smoothly and you could enjoy the atmosphere on your special day!
It is fabulous to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at the VINCENT, our beds have just won a Comfiest Bed Award so they really are perfect for a greats night sleep before your big day!
We will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the VINCENT in the future, perhaps for your anniversary or even just for dinner in the V-Café.
Best Wishes from all the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Having never stayed at the hotel previously we weren't sure what to expect. We checked in late in the day and as such required dinner straight away, despite only booking for half the final guest numbers the restaurant staff were very accommodating. A particular thanks to 'Gabs' who was exceptionally helpful. The standard of the food was good and the menu plentiful. That said, the final bill was quite high for the number of diners.
The room we stayed in was the most 'basic' of what is available however certainly contained all that we required. During our stay we used the hotel's Wi-fi and were even able to print a document to the hotel's reception free of charge. The room's mini-bar is perhaps not what was expected (water, chocolate and energy drinks) but did save any additional costs at check out!
Our room fee included breakfast which was buffet style, all food was fresh and hot and definately worth paying any extra for! Staff again were excellent, nothing appeared to be too much trouble for any of them. We had a similar experience of the Reception staff who were again extremely accommodating and pleasant to deal with. Overall a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: Don't be put off by more 'basic' rooms they have most amenities
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for a great review on Trip Advisor.
I am very glad to see how highly you praised the staff members. In comparison to some other restaurants we may be considered higher in price, however we aim to provide high quality of service and food which we think makes the experience good value for money.
Although the room is labelled as residents room, which is our most basic, the room is furnished the same as the next grade up, except you do not have a front facing view and everything is a little bit smaller. The addition of breakfast onto an overnight stay is always a must, whether you need the energy for some shopping, a meeting or just as a cure for the night before!
We hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit to Southport.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here one night after attending a wedding nearby. It was the height of luxury, staff fantastic, rooms very comfortable, and an enormous bed! The breakfast was great value for money. Didn't want to go home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your short and sweet review of the VINCENT, it is full of praise and we are extremely happy at how much you enjoyed your stay here.
We only hope that you find another reason to visit Southport so that we can welcome you back once more.
wallasey uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

visited this hotel to celebrate my partners birthday.The room was of a very good standard with an excellent view over lord st and beyond to the sea.We were on the 5th floor.They have a very good restaurant again overlooking iconic lord st it was nice to have breakfast whilst people watching.We also had an evening meal to celebrate my girlfriends birthday with some of her friends.The usual thing with the cake and a flare.We all thought the food was excellent.and a very nice atmosphere.The staff were friendly and helpful would certainly recommend.On the negative side there was a lot of noise through the night from the next room.And banging on the wall from the room beyond to quieten them, that never worked .Also the bar seemed very small considering the number of wags and wanabees that filled it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely review about the VINCENT on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you chose to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday here at –V- and that you all really enjoyed the V-Café experience. I shall pass on the positive comments to our staff.
We are very sorry about the other guests in the next room who were noisy, I am sure if you would have called reception to let them know, a member of staff would have come up to try and quieten them.
I hope that this did not ruin your experience, and hope that you will be visiting us again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel tries hard but fails in many aspects. The fixtures and fitting are nice, and well branded. The staff a friendly and attentive, but the rest of the experience was a little frustrating. When we arrived there was a wedding function taking place and the small Reception area was very crowded making access difficult. Check in was smooth and quick once you got to the counter. Then a long wait for the single lift.

When exiting the lift on the 5th floor the lighting is so subdued that it is difficult to see the door numbers on the rooms which are black on stainless steel. The corridors and lift were also very hot. Once in the room it was again very subdued lighting, to the extent where by my wife could not do her make-up.

When we walked in the window was open, and the aircon/heating was off so the room was the same temperature as outside - freezing. The air conditioning took a long time to heat the room to an acceptable level. Later on, the room became stuffy and I noted that the air conditioning recirculated the air but could see no fresh air grill but when we opened the window there was a lot of noise from outside (front facing room). Noise generally became an issue as other residents on the same floor were noisy, banging doors and moving around until gone 4am.

The bathrooms were nicely appointed with Villeroy & Bosch ceramics, and an unusual stepped deep bath. Again the money has been spent, but little things took away the enjoyment. the extraction rates were so low that the room steamed up instantly and became excessively hot. There were no discernible markings on the joystick tap or shower/bath controls to instruct on their operation (I was familiar through similar experiences, but many people would not be).

The bed was lovely to lounge on and watch TV, soft and welcoming and this might be a personal thing - but far too soft to sleep on. Instead of curtains they had a sliding picture wall which was impressive, but again let down as it had fell off the track at the bottom (Room 505 17th Nov).

Internet access was provided, and acessible with a password from Reception, but the page registered an error on my laptop, tablet and smartphone. So effectively - no internet access. There was a lovely Nespresso coffee machine, and instructions on how to use it - but no capsules or instructions as to how to get them. There was free instant coffee and tea though. the website states personalised minibar in room but on arrival it has lucozade, chocolate and water in and anything else has to be ordered; you may as well bring your own and save the money (small bar of chocolate £1.75).

We went out for a meal, and when we came back fancied a quiet drink in the bar. The bar was more like a club - packed, and the music was a such a volume that you could not talk. We left and went to a local bar. Finally the lack of parking (they only have a limited amount of £15 valet parking, and request 20 minutes notice to get you your vehicle) - but in fairness this is stated prior to booking on the website.

All in all a disappointing experience, but that may just be down to my tatses and age (48 years old). The place seems to cater for 'Yuppie' types rather than someone looking for a nice relaxing weekend. They have no casual seating areas. By contrast we have stayed at the Ramada where the parking is plentiful and free, and they have a massive lounge area where you can relax, drink and talk. the rooms whilst not as bespoke as the Vincent are of an equal quality and probably slightly less jaded.

You pays your money and makes your choice - the Vincent was not dreadful, but it wasn't great either. I personally wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to open your window - not at the front. Try and get the first floor so you can use the s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheVincentHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Vincent, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the VINCENT hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very glad that you found the staff helpful and friendly during your stay, and I hope that it was evident that we will try to fulfil all of your needs whilst you are a guest at the VINCENT.

Due to our central location on Lord Street, it means that we are in a busy area both day and night. Unfortunately this can mean that there is noise which is not under our control, mainly in the evenings from surrounds bars, clubs and restaurants. However the view from our studio rooms onto Lord Street is scenic and great to watch the passers-by. It is also a reason that our V-Cafe which is all glass fronted is so popular as a place to people watch, be and be seen.
Concerning the room, I am glad that you noticed the finer details such as the ceramics and our Nespresso machines. I am very sorry that you were missing some coffee capsules, if you were missing anything which should have been in the room, a quick call to reception would have meant that we could rectify this as soon as possible. We also provide light up vanity mirrors on request, which could have been used if your wife was finding the lighting too low to easily apply her makeup.

Regarding our mini-bars in the bedrooms, we have changed these so that you can personalise your own mini bar with whatever you fancy, instead of having it stocked with things that you may not like upon arrival. We simply supply a couple of essentials including Lucozade, water and some Dairy Milk chocolate, and anything extra can be requested to meet your needs.

I hope that you are not deterred from revisiting us again in the future, whether it is for lunch in the V-Cafe or a tipple in the McGee bar. We shall we look forward to welcoming you back.
Iwade, Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This one is a difficult one to review, on the one hand the room was large, clean, a very comfy bed, modern TV, a quiet room, well appointed bathroom, snazzy coffee machine and a great view of Lord St in a really central, spot on location and we found a parking space right outside. The decor is a little Chardonnay from Footballers Wives with strange printed canvas scenes instead of curtains and the lighting is so poor I found it hard to do my hair in the tinted mirror which was very irritating as every light in the room was on. If you stay on a Saturday night and have any level of class then avoid the bar at all costs as its rammed with wannabee WAG / TOWIE types, backcombed hair extensions and shiny suits rule so its not the sort of place for a civilised drink after dinner and the music is so loud you wouldn't be able to hear each other anyway. On arrival (at 5pm in the evening so pretty early) we encountered a very rowdy bridal party and a bridesmaid yelling with her posy in one hand and a pint in the other - classy!! The food in the restaurant was good and well presented but let down by the the waiting staff having yell out each order across our table and because we were in a group of 15 the gap between the first persons meal arriving and the last was too long, they also forgot a drink and had to be reminded. On the plus side the reception staff were lovely and very friendly as were the door staff who found out where a bar we were meeting friends was and weren't intimidating at all. Its undoubtedly the best hotel in Southport but up against the Prince of Wales which is way past its sell by date thats not a massive compliment. I would stay here again if I had to come to Southport but only because it has no competition to speak of.

Room Tip: Request a higher room for a weekend stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the VINCENT on Trip Advisor. We are very glad that you chose to stay with us on your visit to Southport, and that you enjoyed your bedroom – complete with award winning beds - and that the staff were welcoming and helpful.
We are very sorry if there were other guests who slightly marred your experience at the VINCENT, but this is something that we are unable to influence in all cases.
I hope that on your next visit to the VINCENT you thoroughly enjoy all aspects of the experience, and that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I’ve been away on business for the last 10 days, staying at 6 ‘top’ hotels between London, Manchester and Liverpool and the Vincent was the best by far! From the minute I arrived, late and very tired, I was made to feel like a five-star guest. My zillions of bags/luggage were unloaded – with a smile - from my car, which was whisked off until I needed it again. The staff were welcoming and nothing was too much trouble.

My room was perfect; spacious, luxurious and comfortable, with lots of sockets enabling me to charge phones/laptop and use my hairdryer at the same time (!). Increasingly, many hotels seem to be replacing baths with showers, but not the Vincent and my room had a fabulous deep bath, which was a real treat after a hectic few days. The huge bed has to be the most sumptuous I’ve slept in for a long time – very comfortable.

The ambience in the V-Café was perfect and the food and wine was first class; well-presented and pleasantly served.

On this occasion, I was there on business but if I was going for a holiday or long weekend, The Vincent would be top of my list of places to stay. It was stylish, comfortable, welcoming, well located in the heart of Southport and excellent value-for-money too. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your brilliant review of the VINCENT on Trip Advisor.

We are ecstatic that you found us to be the best hotel during your tour up from London, and that we made your stay comfortable and easy by meeting your needs with a smile.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the VINCENT on your next trip to Southport, and hope that on the next occasion it will be for pleasure rather than work.

Been to Vincent? Share your experiences!