We went to Southport for 2 finals weekends and had a great time as usual. Chalets were clean, staff very friendly, Bluecoats great as always. Loads to do.
One gripe, and we are Pontin's number one fans, but the swimming pool falls badly short of Prestatyn's standards.
It always looks dirty I have to say, but I think that must be partly due to the colour of the tiles or something, as we always swim in it and have never been ill! It must be checked daily, so I don't worry too much about that.
HOWEVER! The water is freezing. Always is. It really spoils it. Whereas at Prestatyn our kids will stay in for hours, they can only handle 20 mins in this pool. Everyone we spoke to at the pool was complaining about it. Babies were screaming with the cold. One lifeguard on the first w/e told me his partner took their child to a pool miles away as the child could not cope with the cold.
On the second w/e, when we went in, I asked the 3 lifeguards who were all sitting together at the side of the pool, if the water was warm. 2 of them were quite friendly, one was a bit offish.
We got in, and the water was actually a bit warmer than 2 weeks previously, but nowhere near as warm as Prestatyn.
When I was leaving, I again approached the lifeguards who were still all together, messing on their mobiles. I said, that the water was much warmer,and thanked them.
One LG said, "It won't be tomorrow"
"Why?" I asked.
"Because it is being cleaned" he said, and that'll make it colder.
"So, if the whole park is closing the day after, why not do it then?" ! I said
"Can't" he said. And proceeded to be quite offish. It was as if he wasn't pleased that we actually hadn't got half frozen during swimming!!!!
We visit Prestatyn about 8 times a year and the water is NEVER cold. If they can do it, so can Southport.
I found it rather alarming that lifeguards were messing on their phones while they were meant to be at work.
I have never seen a LG on their phone at Prestatyn. They are always watching the pool.
They should not have a mobile with them when they are doing such an important job.
I feel rather sad complaining as we love Pontins. But I give praise when praise is due, and do feel this is the one area of Southport Pontins that lets it down and is the reason that in the past we have always chosen Prestatyn over Southport. (Now we love Prestatyn too much anyway, but in the past that's what put us off)
Apart from that we had a fab time. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New pontins was born in 2011 following the purchase by Britannia Hotels.Our Managers and Staff are proud to work at Pontins and proud of our recent improvements. All rooms have been refurbished and refurnished and provide a comfortable base for your holiday. We have greatly increased our facilities on Park with loads of free stuff and some activities with a small charge. New this year is our state of the art games room featuring XBOX and PS3 consoles and high speed PC's to satisfy all the gamers amongst you.We have also improved our food service with great value meals in the restaurant at £5 for a 3 course meal and only £3.95 for our famous eat as much as you want breakfast.Then of course we have 3 bars and entertainment venues hosted by our world famous Bluecoats providing everything from bingo to exceptional visiting cabarets including finalists from the X Factor and Britains Got Talent.Plus there is so much to see and do in the surrounding area and we feel that Southport Pontins is a great choice of venue for a great value and entertaining holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Pontins Southport Holiday Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pontins Southport Holiday Park Hotel Southport
- Pontins Hotel Southport
- Pontins Resort Southport
- Pontins Southport Holiday Park England