“Dog friendly” 5 of 5 stars

special 2 night offer
Ranked #20 of 35 Southport B&B and Inns
“Dog friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We were not expecting much from this stay as it was many years since staying in a seaside guest house. But we had 2 medium sized dogs with us so were looking for accommodation for them as well as us. We were delighted with our choice of the Carlton Lodge Hotel. To sum it up it was unsynical. The accommodation was spotlesslessly clean, the bead sheets crisp cotton and the towels large white and fluffy. Tea coffee and busuits were generous for a hotel of this type. The breakfast was super with again generous choices of cereal, juices, yoghurt and the cooked breakfast was to die for. The host was friendly and helpful and we fully enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NORTH WALES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at Carlton lodge for a long weeked 9 - 12 March...First thing I HAVE to mention is the BREAKFAST..No sheet to fill in when you arrive, whatever you want is cooked fresh when you order in the morning so nothing dried up and no puddles of grease.. This is quite a feat as the choice is second to none...Fruit, Cereal, Continental style breakfast, full english, boiled (asked if wanted hard or soft which is something i can't get right myself) or poached egg, kippers, yoghurt etc etc..anything you could wish for..We stayed in room 3 which i won't deny is quite small but it really is perfectly adequate for 2 and it was heated just right without the radiators blasting out..Again you have to be quite nimble in the en-suite but the shower itself is roomier than some encountered and the water is nice and hot with a powerful flow...FRESH flowers in the room (lovely touch)..Nice, moderrn tv/dvd (had to watch a little bit of the football!!)...Good storage (if, like my wife you have to take, or buy at least 6 weeks worth of clothes). Very good location (5 mins. walking distance for shopping, theatre, dining and train station).. courtesy tray replenished (though we drink quite a lot of tea and coffee and bought our own)..Very comfy bed..Everything just what we wanted and needed....Christine, the proprietor struck me as being quite and unassuming but it must be a case of all the action going on under the surface because from what we could tell of the Carlton it is very smoothly run without fuss by her and her team.....All in all we would definately stay again and will be recommending it to others.

Room Tip: "stayed in room 3, 1st floor"
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
North West England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If I were expecting the Ritz, I would've been disappointed, but as I was hoping for no more than a reasonably priced clean and comfy B&B, I was more than happy.

Our room was very cosy (not cramped - just homely) and the bed was possibly the comfiest I've had in a B&B. Breakfast was lovely, and cooked to order. My daughter (12) had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, and the owner was good enough to chuck a couple of sausages on too - no small portions here. My full English was perfect.

The whole stay was faultless, and the only reason I've not given it 5 stars is that I wouldn't want people to think the place is a palace - it's just a good, British B&B, and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rochdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I booked as a last minute get away for a weekend. When I arrived I was warmly greeted and was given a choice of rooms. The room was lovely and warm, did have to open the window a bit to cool down,but as it had been cold it was welcoming to arrive somewhere warm.

The room and the bed were clean and very comfortable and I had the best nights sleep in a fortnight which is why I needed to get away.

Breakfast was fantastic, never had a breakfast like it before, not a drop of grease on the food or the plate and they sure do know how to make a cup of tea. Just sad I couldn't stay for breakfast the next morning as I had to head off to work early in the morning.

Keep up the good work and hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
bewdley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here at the turn of the year and if I should be on Southport again, Carlton Lodge will be my first choice. Very well run establishment, clean, nicely furnished, lovely and warm. Excellent breakfast with lots of choice and cooked to order. Crisp white bed linen and towels. Lots of hot water. Ideal position in the center of town.....with parking.. . Mine hostess; Christine, could teach a lot of hostelries how it should be done.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our third time for New Year in Southport , staying at the Carlton Lodge. A warm welcome as always from Christine.
Excellent breakfasts as ever and lovely clean rooms, with nice comfy beds.
The location and local amenities are brilliant.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Just come back from a two night stay. What a lovely lady Christine ,who runs the guest house, is. Rooms were spacious, clean and warm. Shower was good enough to spend all morning in and we slept like logs in the comfy bed. The breakfast was very varied and if there was anything missing off the menu I don't know about it. Have already recommended it to friends. Thanks Christine enjoy your break. Sue and Ron x

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Carlton Lodge? Share your experiences!