“Past it's best” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Southport
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Past it's best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for four nights with 40 other people on a private coach trip. On arrival we learnt that there was no porterage at hotel and coach couldn't park at hotel but across from it,so we had to carry luggage across the main busy road which wasn't a good start as all oap's then on arriving at reception a disaster as all crushed around and took ages to give us our rooms and only one old lift to talk people up. fortunately our room was ok except on 1st flor facing onto car park. Dining room ok if you got I n early or had to queue up for tables. Food was very basic, breakfast was not so bad but toast was so thin and cold must have all been done 1st thing and never topped up.evening meal very basic not what you would expect from a hotel,no idea what some of dishes were and repeated on following evening, exactly same dessert for all four nights. The decor in the main areas is so outdated and both looked dingy and dirty. Would not recommend this place to anyone and definitely would not go back again.

Room Tip: None as think the position of hotel doesn't allow any
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
stoke-on-trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Ideally situated for shops,bars, resturants and amenitys,looks abit dated but this is the character of the hotel but reception area does look abit untidy but think this is due to having alot of use as there are three pubs an fitness centre on this floor at the back of hotel.Parking is very limited but we did get a space but if full you can use the sister hotel across the road the Prince of Wales.We were over looking Lord st so wasnt sure what to exspect noise wise but slept fine.Our room was small but clean and comfortable,bathroom very clean.Breakfast was very nice with good choice.Didnt use the gym but swimming pool was lvly an quite.this is not a 5 star hotel but is value for money and would stay again for a short break!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had a pleasant experience in this hotel, very friendly staff, clean, warm and nicely decorated rooms and halls.
I only booked a single occupancy, single room but i was with a friend and i got a double room and two keys, without any question!
It was a nice surprise.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent a night at the Scarisbrick following a friends wedding. Not the best experience from start to finish. Very limited parking means that you may need to leave your car at a sister hotel and walk back. They forget to menion hidden charger (parking, card payment, etc...). Sticky carpets in the guest bar which is attached to the hotel night club, open til 3.00 am! If you are unfortunate enough to be given a room above then you can forget sleep. Squealy floor boards, saggy beds, dated decor and furnishings and banging fire doors in the night. I could go on... if you need a room in the centre of town it is handy for the attractions but dont expect too much and take a pair of ear plugs.

• Stayed March 2013
Aberdeen,Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the World and this is one of the worst. I stayed here for the 2013 Grand National as I wanted to stay outside Liverpool. I left it late so my choice was limited. I would have been better sleeping in the car!

PROS: Free Parking

CONS: Check in took an hour with two Reception staff. One was completely disinterested and the other even less so as the queue lengthened! Key cards failed to work every day, Dinner is only served until 8.30 pm so forget anything to eat after that; the food is rubbish anyway; The noise from the bar downstairs is appalling and incessant; upon checking out my car was blocked in by another in the chaotic car park, again the staff were completely unsympathetic and unhelpful. WI-FI only works on the first floor.
HONESTLY, I have never seen such unfriendly staff in a hotel. There is no leadership. no supervisor, no guidance, they are poorly trained and quite frankly, not up to the job. I will never recommend any one to stay at this hotel......1 Star at best!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

While making my reservation I asked and was told that there was free parking on-site available and I would be able to park near the hotel. On arrival the somewhat surly and dis-interested receptionist told me that there was no parking available at the hotel and I would have to park 300 metres away at the sister hotel. I drove down to the Prince of Wales hotel and despite ringing the bell at the gate and calling the main number at the hotel for 15 minutes, I could not speak to anyone or get into the car park. I ended up parking on the street a few blocks away which was far less than secure.

I also had to debate the agreed charges for room on arrival.

On arriving in the room I found that I had been placed just over a night club that did not stop playing very loud music until 2 am. Not nice or conducive to getting some rest!

The room was very small however for £45 I didn't expect too much.

The bathroom appeared to be clean however there was a bad smell coming from somewhere in there.

The receptionist on departure was far more friendly and professional.

The staff at breakfast were also very nice and accommodating.

I travel several times a month both in the UK and on the continent. I don't expect 4-star rooms for 2-star prices however this stay was far below a standard that any reasonable person would expect.

Unfortunately this is one hotel I would advise to avoid.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to be placed away from areas directly over or facing evening entertainment.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
St Helens, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I booked for an over night stay after a stressful week at work. We stayed here many years before and thought it would be nice to stay again. As we opened the door to the room, we nearly fell onto the bed as the room was so small. We did not think too much about it as we went for the day. On our arrival back, we found the room was already noisy as we were next door to the gents toilets and you could hear the door open and hand dryer being turned on and off. We decided to go down and ask for another room. We were told they were fully booked up apart from one room which was smaller than the one we were in. We said we were not happy to go back to the room and then the "cheerful" receptionist said there was a room available. We asked could we see it and she gave us the room key. The room itself seemed nice but it smelled strongly of smoke, the bed had been slept in, the toilet seat was up and the tea cups were dirty. We went back again and said the room had not been cleaned. We had no apology but were offered a family room on the fourth floor. We were doing well considering 10minutes before we were told the hotel was fully booked. We went to the family room to find a very old fashioned room smelling of must. It was not nice but it was better than we had had. We thought we could stay here as it was only for one night. We turned the tv on to relax but found it did not work. We rang down to reception and said we would like a refund as we were so un happy. The receptionist said this was not possible as we had paid with cash. We said we had not heard anything as silly. About 15 minutes later, the "cheerful" receptionist rang and said we could have an upgrade. I would not call it an upgrade but it was better than the other rooms. However, the stay was topped off with one final disappointment when the hair dryer stopped working and I had to leave my hair wet. This is a shame for what I am sure has once been a fabulous building but it is being ruined by rude staff who just don't care about the hotel or the guests. Be warned!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Scarisbrick Hotel? Share your experiences!