“Avoid this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Southport
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for 2 nights 7 8 dec with another couple. This hotel was booked 9 months ago and paid for 2 executive suits. It was the worst weekend ever. Rooms were not available and tried to offer us there sister hotel The Prince of Wales is as bad as this hotel. They final founds us some rooms after an hour and moaning to the manager. These rooms were terrible room 402 was suppose to be an executive suit (no way) there were twin beds heating wasn't working and the room was very basic. They pushed the beds together for us and later through the night we realised why there were single beds not double. The ceiling was leaking onto the bed from the main ceiling light and soaked the bed at the bottom. Hotel refused any refund or compensation, we weren't the only ones complaining I think 70% of the guests were due to no heating in the hotel, rooms over booked, correct rooms not given. Most of the guests complained to the managers in the reception and this became embarrassing to them as they didn't know what to tell the guests, so the receptionist took most of the complaints but did nothing about them. The breakfast room isn't big enough for the hotel so most guests had to wait for tables. I will not be staying there again and reading the reviews on here they are all true, they should had sorted them out by now as these complaints go back months and months, but they are getting worst, so get your act together or close down and fix the problems or you will have no guests at all.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

hotel very dated. we had room 205 (2nd floor) on side of hotel overlooking passageway. nice large room , with 4 poster bed ( very comfy ) big seating area, jaquzzi bath didnt work , reported to reception on leaving. very noisy after midnight as club and pubs letting out , seemed to go on till about 0300am , not helped by upvc double glazed window not providing enough sound proofing , as when shut it still allowed outside noise in. all in all a pleasant stay , staff very friendly , and accomodating. self service " fill your boots " breakfast very nice !!! think this hotel just needs a refurb , but keep the initial character. amen

Room Tip: higher floors equals less noise
Southport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Me and my hubby went to the Scarisbrick last night to a Christmas Party night in the Isherwood Suite and had a fabby time! Not been in the hotel for a while and I must say, the Isherwood was looking really nice. They used to have a bit of a 'busy' colour scheme in there but it's now cream and really contemporary looking.

We had a lovely meal, plated instead of silver service, but that was actually quite nice because you got all of your turkey and trimmings at the same time ... No cold sprouts waiting for your roasties! The turkey was scrumptious, really generous portion - we were almost too stuffed to dance. We did manage a few chaotic boogies both to the disco and the live band 'the Sandgrounders'. Both played some great rock and roll, the band does mainly 50’s and 60’s stuff.

All on all we had a really great night and at £20 per person, a good price. I wasn't sure what to expect at that price but had good food, excellent service and super entertainment, couldn't fault it!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

We took my boyfriends grandparents here to the 'restaurant' here as on passing, it seemed like a nice place and good value.
My boyfriend and his grandparents ordered the Xmas menu and I ordered from the normal menu. 2 of the Xmas menu meals were with a starter and main and one with a main and pudding.
On attempting to order our meals we were ignored for 10 minutes while 3 members of staff were faffing in the kitchen. On ordering our meals, we firstly ordered our hot drinks, a coffee, a pot of tea and a latte followed by 2 soups, 3 Xmas turkey meals, a Gammon and egg and an Xmas pudding. A simple request. The latte was forgotten about. As the lady, Lyn I think her name was, faffed some more she took a further 10 minutes to produce said latte. we turned to look at our table to see 2 soups sat there already before we had even got our drinks and before we had even for back to our table. On rushing back to the table so the soup could be eaten while still hot, as I followed, eventually, with the drinks.
As the soups were finished, it took a further 15/20 mins for someone to come and clear the plates away.
A further 20 mins after the plates being cleared, we still had no mains.
We waited and waited and i eventually went to the kitchen to check what the hold up was as it really wasn't busy at all. (4 tables dining altogether.)
The lady, Lyn, said she would check where our mains where. She returned, apologised half heartedly, and said the chef hadnt heard her shout our table.
A further 10/15 mins later, she finally arrived with our main meals. I had ordered the gammon and egg. To my disgust, the egg was raw and still snotty/stringy. As i am pregnant, I could not eat it. I swapped with my boyfriend and ate his turkey dinner and he had my gammon. At no point did anyone come to our table to ask how our meals were. My boyfriend, furious, put the egg to one side (as best as he could move it) to show her and complain.
He finished the chips etc and left to talk to the general manager.
Full of attitiude and self importance, he spoke with my boyfriend in the middle of the hallway in full ear shot of people coming and leaving the hotel. Which made my boyfriend uncomfortable as he didn't particularly want to broadcast our bad experience. As my boyfriend explained the problem, the managr then went onto the kitchen for 20 mins. He came to our table and explained that 'all our eggs are cooked the same way' and that the egg was soft cooked. To my annoyance, I notified the manager that i myself am a qualified chef and there is a big difference between a soft egg and a raw egg. I have worked in the hospitality industry for 3 years. He then explained that I should have asked foe it to be cooked fully (so if you eat here, ask for your egg cooked not raw, make sure you state this!)
The egg i had looked like I had a bad cold and sneezed on my Gammon!!
Anyway, after much persistence, he gave us a refund of £20, although we spent almost £30. I suppose its better than nothing.
Exceedingly bad service, bad practice and some very bad attitiudes. He even had the cheek to say he hoped we returned in the future. Not on your nelly will I return here, even if it becomes free to eat here, next time I'd rather just pop to greggs for a cheap pasty!!!!

Blackpool
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and i have stayed for a short break at the scarisbrick hotel. The staff were outstanding particularily paul duty manager, christine on reception and matthew and grampino in the restaurant. However the hotel is very old huge cobwebs in the bars..dirty grout in bathroom and carpets need a clean!! the pool was disgusting, with a brown scum formed on the jaccuzi side. however again staff were exceptional when alerted. Spend some money brittania hotels; and we sincerely hope you treat your staff well because they made our stay!

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Three sister's plus husbands second year we have stayed, room and breakfast good comfortable atmoshere in hotel all drinks good value including cocktail bar 2 for 1 early doors.Went to Prince of Wales for dinner dance Saturday night,Went to Liverpool on train £4.50 return worth a visit,local shopping centre good,Will be going again next year.

Room Tip: Last year 3rd floor large room,this year 2nd floor refurbished room smaller.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and hubby have just returned from a 2 night break in Southport staying at Scarisbrick. We were a bit worried because of some of the bad reviews we had seen, but as I said we were pleasantly suprised. The room was quite spacious and clean and certainly nice and warm when we arrived. Perhaps we were just lucky in the room we were given, or perhaps people have too high expectations for the price they pay, but we thought it was very good value. Admittedly we had to sit and wait for about 5 minutes for our table at breakfast, but at least we weren't standing in a queue in the corridor which has been known at some of the budget hotels! The buffet breakfast itself was excellent with a choice of cereals, fruit and a full cooked breakfast - eat as much or as little as you wished. From choice we did not have the evening meal because we had booked nights out in the town (separate review for those) but we had only paid b & b prices anyway so more than got our value. Also the staff in the dining room were very friendly and pleasant as were the reception staff, all in all a nice weekend break (only from Blackpool so not too far to travel at this time of year). We had a nightcap in the hotel bar when we got back from our evening and there was a nice atmosphere, very busy. OK the music from the nightclub might have sounded loud but it didn't disturb our sleep. Love Southport anyway and will certainly return to this hotel in the future. Thanks for a great weekend.

Room Tip: All I can say is we had room 415 purely by chance and we were pleased with it. Can't comment on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Scarisbrick Hotel? Share your experiences!