“NOT A 4 STAR AS LISTED ON BOOKING.COM FEEL CHEATED!!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #176 of 222 restaurants in Southport
Manchester, United Kingdom
“NOT A 4 STAR AS LISTED ON BOOKING.COM FEEL CHEATED!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I will make this a brief as possible, on arrival the reception is very unwelcoming and very dark lots of chairs and cluter. We booked our one night stay at this hotel on Booking.Com it was listed as a 4 star rating, and the pictures are very misleading, we arrived 15 mins before the booking in time, the lady couldn't find our booking, I thankfully had printed off the booking comfirmation, then she realised that she was on the wrong date, the lady checked if our room was ready, and it was, we had requested a top floor with a sea view, the top floor was granted, but the sea view wasn't, we faced a large block of flats which was very disappointing.

Our room was number 8,very small,dingy,tired, and very very basic, complete with kitchette, we couldn't get the television working so we asked reception for assistance, the man came up he tried but he too couldn't get it to work, so he gave us another room so we then moved to room number 6, this had a lovely frontal view which was alot better than number 8, had they gave us number 6 in the beginning it would have been alot better, why they are saving rooms if there is no one there is beyond me!!
Please also note this hotel was star rated in 2008, and not by RAC OR AA

Moving onto the breakfast, that was fine no problems at all.

To summerise, this is definately not a 4 star hotel, more 2 star
I hope this helps and thank you for reading my review.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

48% Recommend
Merseyside
“Poor Management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We booked to stay at the Albert & Victoria hotel, last weekend. It was a treat for me, from my daughter owing to my illness. We arrived at the Hotel and because they could not offer us the twin room that we had booked, they gave us a room with a four poster bed and a jacquzi.bath. My daughter and I went for a walk and returned to the hotel approximately 9pm. We asked if we could have a meal but the restaurant was closed. I was looking forward to a nice soak and relax in the bath. I got in to the bath and my daughter went for some help to get the TV working. I was in the bath for 10 minutes and my daughter shouted, 'Mum the ceiling is leaking and there's water coming down the wall'. My Daughter went for help again and as I am disabled, it was difficult for me to get out of the bath on my own. All I could hear was some men in the bedroom, discussing the leak and taking ceiling tiles down. I managed to get out of the bath and get dressed. Not feeling relaxed but very anxious that we might be in a room that was a health hazard. The men left the bed room and my Daughter said they had gone for a plumber. I asked if they had offered us another room but she said no. I told her to gather our belongings and I went to the reception. The Manager was sitting on the couch in the bar area, and he didn't even seem concerned that we had to leave the room owing to the water leaking. He didn't offer us another room or a refund. My daughter said that the hotel was full so we could not have another room but he was not concerned. I asked if he could refund the room charge, back on to my Daughter's bank card but he aid that he did not know how to do it and that the secretary wasn't there. I asked him to refund the money again but he said no. So I said that I was going for the Police to bring them to the Hotel to sort it out. I am ill and by then my blood pressure was soaring. I left the hotel in tears and went to our car. A woman followed me out and handed me the cash as a refund. By then it was late and we drove around Southport looking for another hotel but we couldn't find one with vacancies. We tried on line, but the closest we could find was in Liverpool, where we live. So all we could do was to drive home at midnight.This was supposed to be a treat for me, owing to my illness and caring responsibilities, but it ended up be more stressful for me. The Hotel looked nice but the Management have no Management or people skills and they certainly don't have their guests interests at heart. I just hope that travelers to our Area do not stay there after traveling a fair distance. Find another Hotel in Southport, it's a lovely place, so please do come to Merseyside/Sefton but don't stay at this hotel.

Visited April 2013
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Aftrenoon tea”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went for afternoon tea with mulled wine with friends and have to say it was the worst we had ever experienced. The mull wine was cold, the sandwiches could have been better described as "doorstops" and disgusting at that, the 2 couples at the next table even walked out without eating anything. The chef came out as we were leaving and his apron was dirty to say the least.
Even though we didn't pay the full price, we paid £28 for the 4 of us, It wasn't worth even £2.80.
DO NOT GO THERE

Heswall, United Kingdom
“Dreadful......do not eat here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Like other people who have reviewed this restaurant (and others in the restaurant at the same time) we were dining on a Groupon 5 course taster menu purchased for £25 for two, but advertised on the offer at over £80 for two.

On arrival the premises looked pretty run-down, we went through reception and were shown to our table by a waitress, who was very friendly.

Our meal included a glass of house wine, which was mediocre at best.

The first course was vegetable soup (very thick, quite tasteless but edible) served with 1/2 slice of bread (which appeared to be a 'tiger loaf' probably purchased from the large local supermarket. The second course either black pudding or mushrooms. Again, the black pudding was edible though very dry and the mushroom dish was four or five button mushrooms in a sauce that was completely inedible, just looked like melted butter and cream that had gone off.

In the meantime, we ordered a bottle of wine but there were only a choice of three red (including the house). We did have a bottle of good red wine at a very reasonable price though.

On to the next course. My husband had chicken which was okay but it was served with a tasteless bed of non descipted potato/veg dish. I had pasta with tomato, mushroom and chilli. It tasted like a value microwave with a bit of extra tomato puree and chilli added to it.

Dessert was chocolate brownie and ice cream, which again appeared to be from the local supermarket. The final course was supposed to be a cracker with brie and cranberry. When the waitress brought the dish over she apologised and said they had run out of cranberry and replaced with a strawberry. On looking at our plate we realised what we had was a hovis cracker, a spoon full of grated cheddar and a strawberry.

Throughout the meal we spoke to the waitresses, who were very friendly, but they have become quite blaise about the whole situation. They get the same complaints day in day out. We spoke to the owner/managers wife on the our way out, but she really couldn't care......said she only works one day a week. When questioned about whether she cared about the problems she just replied "what do you want me to do about it". What more can I say .........

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
livertion not found.pool
“Oh what a lovely job they do.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Can not fault the place. can not fault the people, can not fault the comfort or their meals, Breakfast to die for, would not get it in the Ritz,

• Visited August 2012