“the imperial hotel tenby” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
£20 A NIGHT OFFERS!
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Tenby
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“the imperial hotel tenby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have just been on a holiday with to Tenby for 5 days stayed in the Imperial hotel. We experienced delays from the outset in Corely coming back the luggage staff damaged my bag and were rude. What should have been a 5 hour trip ended up being 9 hours from Derby including changeover.

The room was bog standard the bathroom was inadequate. no shelves and no bath. No coat hooks to hang coats in the room and food was not very good.
On a more positive note the hotel staff were brilliant the place was brilliant and the weather was brilliant.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for posting your review.I´m sorry you felt the room inadequate and to hear about your experienced with delays and luggage on your trip to the hotel. We have a rolling programme of refurbishment and 8 of rooms have been refurbished recently. I and the team we will investigate all comments made about the your room.Glad to see you though the staff were brilliant. Tenby is a great place to explore lots to see and do specially when the weather is good, I hope to see you again soon. Regards, Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We upgrade to a deluxe premium room with a sea view. The view was stunning and the room was huge and well appointed. The shower was small and an unsuitable size for men. I just wish they wouldn't display the towels on the bed as we only had to move them to the bathroom. The cleaning wasn't always up to scratch. It was noticeable that no dusting had been done, the mirrors weren't cleaned every day and glasses weren't replaced. The outside areas where you could sit and have a drink were tired and old. The floors could do with replacing and the area made to look more attractive. A fountain was full of cigarette ends when it could have been a nice water feature. Dirty plates and glasses weren't always cleared away quickly. The dining area was in need of modernisation. We had half board and the meals were good with plenty of choice. I couldn't fault the dining room and bar staff who were hard working, polite and helpful. Some of the staff on reception could do with a course on customer service as they didn't look up when you arrive. We couldn't check out on Monday until the Manager arrived and then the computer didn't work which meant people were queuing as credit cards couldn't be used. A needless delay. The hotel always appeared to be short-staffed and there was nobody to help with bags. Finding your way to your room is confusing because of the way the hotel is configured. All the door were old and the key wasn't isn't to get into the lock on our bedroom door. Because of the above I have only given an average rating. Saying that the hotel is well situated for the town and the beach and had beautiful views. I

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe premium room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at your recent stay. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views.We are very committed to continue to improve the product that we have to offer, so we have taken on board all of your comments. Regarding the patio area, the fountain have water now and soon will be fully working, the area is clean and tidy and waiting for new plants. I shall investigate your comments about the service received during your stay specially with reception staff and housekeeping.Regarding departure the credit card machine broke down in the morning and lose all connection with the bank, due to early hours of the start of the week, I have to wait for a special engineer to phone back to get all private codes back to the machine.This is something unusual but unfortunately happen and I did try my best to rectify as soon as I could so I do apologize and please be assured that all comments and reviews shall be actioned by myself and the team. It is nice to read that you enjoy our food and that you find our bar and restaurant staff helpful and attentive to your needs. I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to all relevant members of the team, as they really appreciate when guest do acknowledge them, so once again thank you for your comments we really do appreciate them. Hope to see you soon. Regards, Simon
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

nice looking place, new management in that are a huge improvement on what went before, i liked my room, , house keeping really good too.
but.

the food leaves a bit to be desired. quite a lot to be desired actaully. never mind though. there is award winning fish and chips a short walk away and a nice greek taverna too.

overall, ok.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. It is nice to read that you enjoy your room.
We always strive to provide the best service to our guest and we will do our best to accommodate in the best possible way. I will pass your comments to our Head Chef about the food as when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will keep see a remarkable improvement.Regards, Simon
Lancashire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed 4 nights, Had prebooked car park, great. Greeted by manager on arrival whose excellent customer service showed through all his staff. We had a special diet requirement and the chef Steve discussed the menus each day to ensure the diet was followed and went out of his way to help. The hotel was great for location, the room was clean & tidy, and towels changed each day. As far as we are concerned the hotel was excellent value for money, we sometimes think that people expect far too much these days for what they pay, but this is a definite exception to the rules. Shearings should be very proud of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to writing a great review at your recent stay at the Imperial. I shall pass on all your lovely comments to all members of the team and specially to Steve. We are very privelleged to be located in such a beautiful area with a magical views. Our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you. Im looking forward to see you soon Regards, Simon
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Yes, very nice hotel, recently refurbished room, sea view (extra), but minor faults.
Radiator stuck on - (rectified quickly).
New shower, but no water pressure, so useless
Heated towel rail didn't work.
Food excellent, but service hit and miss, especially the early breakfast on Friday, when we all waited ages.
Two nice bars, but service was poor, you have to press a button for service, and wait until someone walks from Cardiff (so it seems), saw more than one person give up and go in to Tenby.
The bars are supposed to close at 11.00pm, but the bottom bar is nearer 10.00, and the bar behind reception was cashed up at 10.45pm, so exact change required, or charge to the room.
At the price charged (£3.50 for a pint of Worthington), they could make an effort, as we're not all Chapel men!
On the final day, we put out our luggage as instructed, at 06.45, but it was not collected. It was only by chance that we went back to the room for a final check before departure and found them still there, and carted them downstairs.
Entertainment comprised a lady singer on Tuesday, and a male singer on Thursday - both were quite good, but as entertainment goes, very limited, and two nights only.

Room Tip: As always, pay extra for a sea view - it's worth it! No matter where your room is, you won'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review.I am please to hear you enjoy the food and the views the hotel have to offer. I and the team will investigate your comments about the service provide. The times on the bars are different but we will make sure if one of the two bars is close the other one stay open and customer will be advice the best we can. I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were reasonably pleased by its appearance. Whilst not ultra modern it looked clean and reasonably well kept. We were allocated our room, and was pleasantly surprised when we entered it to find a spacious bedroom and bathroom. It was decorated to a reasonable standard, and there were some signs of damp on the ceiling.

The first problem we encountered with the room was when we tried to open the window. It was a warm day, and despite our best efforts we could not get the window to stay open as the catch was worn. The heating throughout the room was inconsistent, we managed to turn the heater off in the bedroom, but not in the bathroom - so it was forever like a sauna. We did request for the bathroom heater to be turned off, but it was never followed up by the hotel staff.

The towels provided by the hotel, were nicely presented and rolled up on the bed. My wife used the shower first, and as she went to open and use her towel discovered that there were large dirty marks on it. We made the hotel aware who did changed the towel, and advised that it would be fed back to their supplier.

Meal times were unorganised, and more like a school dinner set up. Each meal you had to form a queue and were allocated a different table each meal time. If you were lucky you were allocated a table with a nice view, we must have drawn the short straw the majority of the time and ended up with a table in the middle of the dining facilities and with no real view (other than that of the other diners!). The meals themselves, whilst of good quality, were somewhat lacking in portion size. On the last morning as it was a coach trip we had to have an earlier breakfast. We were allocated a table and had our cereal and sat for a further 30 minutes waiting for our cooked breakfast. We later found that the reason for this was because the waiter serving our table had been late arriving.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your stay at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby, the window & the towel issue in your room has been rectified and I apologize for any inconvenience. I and the team have been addressing the problems you have noted in your review and we are working very hard to upkeep the standards of our hotel and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and effecientley as possible.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here on a 4 night break in May. Parking was a bit of an issue, we used the Multi Storey just a few minutes walk away and cheaper than nearer 24 hr parking.
We had one of the four poster rooms with balcony overlooking the bay. The weather unfortunately was not good enough to make use of the balcony but it was great to wake up in the morning to the views across the bay.
The room was huge with a nice flat screen tv. The room is on a slight slope ( the bed is on blocks at one end to counterbalance this) There was a lot of dust on top of the 4 poster and this needs to be addressed.
The dining room seating is supposed to be on a rotating system as the tables by the windows give you the wonderful views. This was not quite the case during our visit. If you are a party of 4 then your chance is far greater as there are 3 tables of 4 next to the windows. One party had the same table every day.
We only achieved a window seat for our last breakfast and this was probably down to the fact we had made a complaint the previous evening.
There seemed to be a few staffing/menu issues while we were there and it was not up to the usual Coast and Country standards. The portions were smaller than on a recent Bay hotel stay and no cheese and biscuits on offer?!
There was no Customer Questionnaire form for us to complete, I think this was likely deliberate as there seemed to be quite a few disgruntled customers.
The manager was a very nice young man and seemed to be well liked by everyone.
Maybe we were just unlucky and I don't usually like to complain so I've given it a "very good" rating as I suspect it usually is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to comment of your recent stay at The Imperial Hotel Tenby. I and the team are working very hard and addressing all the comments you made about your stay, I shall investigate your comments about the service received during your stay. Please be assured that all comments and reviews shall be actioned by myself and the team. We only have 5 spaces at the hotel and we try our best to help and advice customer of where to park in the area as Tenby can be difficult for parking. I am glad you enjoy the views that the Imperial can offer. The restaurant only have 5 tables by the window and we try our best to rotate as much as we can so everyone can enjoy the experiences of seating by the window on different times and turns. If a customer would like to seat in the window on a particular night we will advice to let us know in advance and we will try our best to accommodate the best we can. We have many items on offer from the a la carte menu and the cheese and biscuits is one of them as a decision made by Head Office to try and keep costs down on the menu but they regularly review the food comments and take note of any recurring issues. On arrival every customer would have a questionnaire with their registration form and if one was not giving I can only apologize for this and if your brought this to our attention we would handed one as we always learn from the feedback of our customer so we can improve our service. I am pleased you enjoy the views and your comments help us to review our standards. Please be assured that all comments and reviews shall be actioned by myself and the team and I do hope to see again in the near future. Regards, Simon.

Been to The Imperial Tenby Hotel? Share your experiences!