“Let down by poor cleanliness .” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
£20 WEEKEND OFFER
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Tenby
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Let down by poor cleanliness .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Arrived Friday night stayed at room 16 ,which was a large family room,few stains on carpet. then looked in the bathroom and there was mold in the shower cubicle the tiolet roll holder fell off ,there was no shelf in the shower to put shampoo or other items ,and avery strong smell of urine in there. The staff at the hotel were very helpfull and the food was good pity about the state of the general higene of the room.

Room Tip: Dont check in to room 16
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I can only apologise about the state of your room. Please be assured that all comments and reviews shall be actioned by myself and the team. I and the team have been addressing the problems you have noted in your review and we are working very hard to upkeep the standards of our hotel and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible.I will pass all your nice comments about the food and the staff to the team. I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement.Regards, Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Faversham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was very good for our BH weekend stay,the weather also helped.
We had to pay extra for twin beds & sea view but the latter was well worth it.
As soon as we opened the door to room 10 there was the sea,excellent.
The hotel was very good the staff very helpfull.
The down point was the terrible almost useless shower even after it was fixed !!
As a Shearings group hotel as usual there was no availability in the bar for even one REAL ALE.
However, just across the road was the Crown with Six real ales.

Room Tip: Room 10 as stated,some noise through the walls
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments of your recent stay at The Imperial Hotel Tenby. I am pleased you enjoyed the service, accommodation and location of the hotel.I and the team have been addressing the problems you have noted in your review and we are working very hard to upkeep the standards of our hotel. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views offering good value for money. I am glad you enjoy your stay and I hope to see you in the near future. Regards, Simon
Wrecsam, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The views, location and staff are all excellent at the Imperial.

This was our third visit. We stayed for a 3 night weekend break on a bed and breakfast basis and even after paying for a sea view room, the cost of the stay was very reasonable.

Drinks at the bar are a bit pricey, but as there are plenty of pubs a couple of minutes walk away, its not a problem.

Thanks for another fab weekend!

Room Tip: Sea view room is a must.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review of your recent Weekend Stay with us, It's great to read that you enjoyed the location and the lovely view the Imperial have to offer. I shall pass on all your great comments to the team and hope to welcome you back soon to the Imperial. Regards, Simon
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

All Shearings Coast & Country have been very good but this one was the best, the only fault was we could not get out of the car park one morning, I do think they need to get problem sorted out as we did not even get a free drink to say sorry, one couple had to meet friends and were very late leaving.

Tenby it's self was a credit to the local council for keeping it so clean and tidy, the beaches also

The hotel is being refurbished and will look as good as a 4 star one when completed.

Was disappointed that the prices had dropped from when we booked in February, we were given 15% discount when we booked in Torquay but noticed when visiing The Majestic Bourmouth a few weeks ago the discount then was 20%.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea veiw and ask for a twin room, we were lucky enough to have a family room because...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your stay at the Imperial, the car park issue has been rectified and I do apologise for any inconvenience cause. It´s great to know you enjoyed your stay in all Coast & Country hotels and to mention that this is the best of the ones you stayed. I hope to see you in the near future. Regards, Simon
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights as part of a Shearings package. Positive points are - the location on the cliff top, partly incorporated within the town walls, gives fantastic sea views yet access to the town centre is only about a 5 minute level walk. Hotel seemed clean and tidy although the higgledy nature of the layout and different levels must make housekeeping difficult. Reception staff are so helpful ; restaurant staff less so. Cannot speak too highly of staff member Sophie who went that extra mile. Wi-Fi is available free in the bar off reception but not elsewhere in the hotel. They use The Cloud system which you have to create an account for - bit of a nuisance! Sophie came to my rescue each night to help me get online. The food was good but not spectacular. There are no set places for meals - the Maitre D takes you to a table on arrival in the restaurant. Each evening I asked if I could have a seat by the window in order to take advantage of the panoramic views. Each night I was told it was not possible although there were clearly plenty of tables available there. I suspect that the reason may be that I was travelling alone and yet again single travellers are discriminated against even though paying high supplements? Never did get a window seat! Having said that my single room was a reasonable size, TV reception good, bed linen clean. The extractor fan in the bathroom was exceptionally noisy and there was an horrendous draught from the large sash window which I was unable to shift. Would I stay here again? Yes but be careful to select which room. Some need general updating and are difficult to access due to rabbit warren nature of the hotel.

Room Tip: I paid extra for a sea view - well worth it. Room 38 has superb views and is near to the lift on the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for posting your review.Its great to hear you think our hotel is good value for money as our location is fantastic with the view the Imperial have to offer and been so close to the town centre. I have passed on your lovely comments to Sophie. I will investigate your comments about the seating in the restaurant, the extractor fan and draught from the window. The hotel is situated in five different building and yes some areas of the hotel will involve stairs. We have a rolling programme of refurbishment as we have 8 rooms refurbish this year and more plan for the future.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon
Leominster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Although this is a typical Shearings hotel - somewhat in need of an update here and there, next to no parking on site, and food that is at best average, (unless you go a la carte, when it gets quite good), this is a Hotel that you really ought to visit.
The General Manager - Simon - is THE best I have come across, not only at Shearings, but in many 4 and 5 star hotels across the world. He is gradually turning an average hotel into something special by his hard work, personality, self motivation and leadership. NOTHING seems to be too much trouble. The man is an absolute gem - I just hope Shearings recognise him for what he is and promote him through the ranks.
I asked several of his staff what they think, and without exception they all said he is wonderful to work for. Even the local traffic warden rates the man.
In appointing Anna as the maitre D of the restaurant he has chosen someone who is gradually bringing the best out of her staff. She oozes charm and looks like a million dollars.
Chef Steve and his team work wonders with the standard Shearings menu, but hits all the right spots when you go for an a la carte selection.
The background team of housekeepers deserve special praise. Being an old building, getting from room to room with materials is not easy, but they do a fantastic job - many thanks.
And a special mention for Sophie - not sure what her title is, but she is perhaps one of the youngest members of staff, but has the same sort of attitude as the General Manager - nothing too much trouble, which I hope is recognised by her superiors.
What would improve the Imperial?
1:Capital investment from Shearings to reward Simon's efforts
2: Some free parking spaces from Tenby Council - They do it at the Valley of Rocks in Lynton so why not in Tenby - or are they just another "fleece the tourist" Council.
3: A good clean up of Tenby itself - too much rubbish lying around and a general air of decay.
Many thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Room 15 is quite large, has a wonderful view of the beach, a very nice bathroom and gets top service...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you very much for posting such a lovely review to let us know what you thought of your stay at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby, It is nice to read that you enjoy our food from the a la carte menu and that you find our staff helpful and attentive to your needs. I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to all members of the team, as they really appreciate when guest do acknowledge them. I am so glad you had a memorable stay with us. Our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you.We hope it wont be long till you return.Regards, Simon
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this Shearings Hotel for 3 nights this May Bank Holiday weekend.
The Hotel has very limited parking places, but there are a number of public car parks within 110 metres of the Hotel. You can get a 3 day ticket which allows to leave & return whenever you want.
The Hotel only had entertainment on for one night (SATURDAY).
the food was good ,THE BAR PRICES very expensive.
Lots of local public houses so you do not need to buy the high price drinks from the Imperial. Seems a shame that this Company do not seem to realize if they kept their prices reasonable they would sell 100 times more than they do.

Room Tip: worth booking a premier room all have a sea view & are much larger than the other rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your review. Your comments help us to review our standards.In the summertime the hotel is mostly self drive customers and the car park can get full very quickly as we only have very limited spaces but we can point out other car parks nearby at a reasonable price.The bar prices is a decision made by Head Office but they regularly review the customers comments and take notes of any recurring issues. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and the surrounding areas. I hope to see you soon in the near future .Regards, Simon

Been to The Imperial Tenby Hotel? Share your experiences!