“Turned out to be a great stay in the Normandie after having read the reviews.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Normandie Inn

Normandie Inn
and 1 more site!
You added Normandie Inn to your Saves list
Normandie Inn
Upper Frog Street, Tenby SA70 7JD, Wales   |
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Tenby
“Turned out to be a great stay in the Normandie after having read the reviews.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

After having read the reviews I was doubtful about staying at the Normandie, but It was recommended by a friend. They serve great pub food,the rooms were spacious and clean, I understand they have recently been refurbished! yes it can be noisy on a weekend but then it is a lively pub in the centre of town. I can't imagine booking a place like the Normandie for my honeymoon or taking my children there but if you want a fun few nights away it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Caerphilly, Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

nice spacious room' lovely friendly staff ,breakfast lovely BUT easily the loudest thumping banging disturbing music from the bar downstairs plus the screaming and shouting from the street outside till 4am i wouldnt recommend you book this hotel if you actually intend on sleeping

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hull
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We visited early Sept 2012 on Honeymoon. While the staff were friendly enough, that is the only positive thing I can say. Please read carefully through this before considering booking! As below, there were the following issues:

On sitting on the sofa we found a bottle stuck between the cushions..we thought at first this was handwash... It was lubricant. Very specific lubricant. From Ann Summers. While we all understand that various activities are pursued in hotel rooms, nobody wants to find THAT waiting for them. This gave the heavy impression that the sofa had probably not been cleaned at all. Along with the rest of the room.

The bathroom door did not fit in the frame correctly or shut properly, I actually had to throw my full weight against it to close it, and again to open it. My poor wife had to get me to turn the TV on every time she needed to nip in there so that she could retain SOME modesty at least, as she wouldn't have been able to open it again if I'd shut it.

The bed was so hard and had such an ancient spring mattress we pulled out every towel we packed and the scratchy winter blankets supplied in the cupboards to soften the bed as much as possible. By Tuesday night we were up to almost 5 hours sleep!

While it was advertised the room was above a pub when we first enquired, we pictured a quiet town pub. At no point was there any mention of a terrible Drum n Bass night on Wednesday and Friday which went from approximately 10pm to almost 4am in the morning. The music was so loud it was clearly heard two floors up, and vibrated EVERYTHING.

AFTER the DnB the pub visitors passed the time by talking very loudly outside for another hour and daring eachother to PUNCH THE SHOP WINDOWS OPPOSITE US. Falling into an exhausted sleep we were awoken frequently by cries of "THUMP 'Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ya Ba****d' ".. Highly amusing I'm sure you will agree. Needless to say this undid the blankets hard work and we barely slept at all.

The breakfasts were terrible, lukewarm, and so greasy that (as my good wife put it) "if you rubbed it on the table you'd be able to see through to the floor".

The public WC downstairs (attempting to save my shoulder muscles by the end of the week) was still filthy in the morning, with the floor soaking and smelling, the door not closing.

Dirty bedding was kept in the OPEN boiler room. It stayed there for most of our stay, I'm surprised they didn't bring it breakfast. If there were children visiting that would have been an extreme safety hazard. i.e. exposed pipework at high temperatures everywhere, the usual detritus that collects in these locations.

The hotel was advertised as being a bar with attached restaurant.. The food was lacking, and the restaurant was effectively just part of the pub, not at all the impression you would get from the website.

Unless you crave a raging binge session I would not recommend this place in the slightest. Unfortunately all the B&B's were booked up or we would have walked out by the time the first all-nighter came along. Certainly not worth the money. We are both amazed that the staff feel this is even acceptable as a hotel. Not what you want to remember for your honeymoon! luckily the town itself was nice enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Ive seen cleaner carpet in derelect houses than was on the stairs .Was scared to put hand on bannister rail it was filthy same as walls. Bedroom furniture would have been ok after a good scrub downwith sugar soap, it was so sticky. Dressing table stool was coverd in long blonde hairs, so was carpet.I am sure the room had not been vaccumed for weeks. The bathroom window had clear glass in it , not frosted and didnt even have net curtain up to it. The noise was horrendous ,unable to sleep until the place closed in the early hours because there were no handles on the windows to be able to shut out some of the noise.The curtains were ripped and hanging off the rail.
Breakfast was served between 9 and 10am we were told but when we arrived a few minutes after 9oclock there was no sign of life anywhere. Then a man came in and a few minutes later told us the cook had not turned up but he would do breakfast for us.
I could go on for quite some time about this place if i had more time. Haven`t even mentioned the bar area. I just do not understand why or how it is still being advertised on the internet and at such outrageous rates. Does no one inspect these places anymore. I would have thought there should be strict regulations.Goodness knows what our foreign visitors must think. Be warned dont fall for the photos, steer well clear, its filthy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This hotel is to be avoided at all costs. You stick to the floor it is so dirty, the stairway up to the rooms smells. The carpets in the bedroom had not been vacuumed at all. The tiles were dropping off the wall in the bathroom and the toliet seat was broken. The noise from people leaving the nightclub went on until 4am in the morning at which point the seagulls start followed by the dustbin men, which meant we got no sleep at all. There was no-one in charge on the premises after the pub closed at 11pm and we were informed we had to be in before the pub closed or wouldn't be able to get in and that we would be locked in until 9am next morning. The next morning at 7am we found that the outside door was open and had been all night. Very secure! The breakfast was a complete shambles - no milk for hot drinks, one cold cafetiere of coffee, no tea. I requested tea and was brought a teabag floating in a cup of luke warm water. The cooked breakfast was barely warm with just a slice of toast thrown on top of the food. There was no marmalade or jam for the toast. Although glasses were provided there was no juice to put in them. At £85 per night I felt extremely ripped off! We had booked for five nights but needless to say only stayed the one.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Normandie
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in family room number 5, the welcome was ok, stairs carpet to room really dirty, room itself was tired and shabby. No curtain on bathroom window overlooking rooftops. Plughole dirty, paint peeling off ceiling, could not flush toilet as handle loose, plug hole in wash basin loose so filled up with water when washing hands. One of the curtains in bedroom hanging down, net curtain in bedroom black with dirt. No throws on beds only old blankets, carpet in room not clean, cracks in the ceiling and walls. The room needed to be cleaned and painted. Breakfast was okay but the whole place needed to be cleaned, table still sticky from drinks the night before. Rate for room 95.00 which was good for Tenby but I could not stay for 2 nights as I would not even shower in the place it was so dirty. I had sent a cheque to pay for 1 night in advance, when leaving I was told that there definitely was no cheque and they would charge my credit card if I didn't pay. I had to go to Natwest in Tenby to get copy of the cheque which had been cashed a week earlier!!(really did not want to waste time doing this on holiday) no apology, for state of room or mistake with payment. Very disappointed with the whole experience Tenby is a great destination for families, but avoid this inn.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
north wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Situated in upper frog street you are in the heart of the town everthing is on the door step.
There is a large car park about 200 yards down the road with access to the inn from the rear no need to push your way through the crowds. rooms where cumfy but the furniture was a little tired. our shower put water anywhere but where it was required. breakfast was ok but nothing special coffee not so good. If you just want somewhere to sleep and are not to fussy then there are worse places to stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Normandie Inn? Share your experiences!