“Delicious breakfast. Very friendly service. Parking” 3 of 5 stars

Croyland Guest House
10 Deer Park, Tenby SA70 7LE, Wales   |
Ranked #12 of 47 Tenby B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Delicious breakfast. Very friendly service. Parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our first visit to Tenby. The Croyland well situated. Parking! Easy walking distance of the town. Steve the manager very helpful and friendly. We had a lovely supper at a pub he recommended and a lovely walk around the area. Room small, but basically clean. Bathroom clean. The breakfast was excellent with various choices. We only spent one night en-route. Price reasonable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

we usually stay at any known hotel chain as you know what to expect in advance, but Tenby doesn't have any! ( though a premier inn is being built close to front) So it took ages choosing a place to stay. We chose this B&B for its free parking and proximity to shops and beach. The location is really good, the breakfasts amazing and the parking secure. The room (5) was adequate but only overlooked the extension, it does however, have a couch and provisions were replaced daily eg more biscuits, loads of milk etc. Mini fridge is very mini(camping) and will not take a bottle wine, though Steve the manager did offer to put our wine in his fridge, he is very friendly and helpful.

overall a good place to stay for its position and parking and of course amazing breakfast
Would we stay again ? personally we do prefer a hotel with pool but as far as B&Bs go, this one, we imagine ( not having much experience ) is well worth considering.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
stephen e, Owner at Croyland Guest House, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hi and thank you for choosing us for your first stay in a guest house which im pleased to say that you seemed to enjoy the experience.The idea of the mini fridge is really aimed at people who may need to keep insulin etc. or some people prefer to keep fresh milk for tea or coffee.We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed Tenby
Blackwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

If you are looking for a friendly family run Bed & Breakfast with excellent hosts and excellent food then this is the place to go. Steve and Clair are wonderful people and look after you during your stay and really have that personal touch. Nothing is too much trouble for them, the rooms are lovely and clean and the choice of breakfasts is excellent. They cater for all tastes and you can have as little or as much as you want.
My weeks stay was brill if only the weather had been as fabulous as Steve and Clair.

Room Tip: Family rooms are a great size, the beds are really comfy and the breakfast is top quality as are the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
stephen e, Owner at Croyland Guest House, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We are both pleasd that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again next year,and once again thanks for the little gift.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We arrived in Tenby at around 12pm on our check in day (30 August)… it was beautiful sunshine and the place was bustling (and my first visit to Tenby!). We found the Croyland, well how could you miss it (but that isn’t a criticism). My husband stayed in the car across the road whilst I went in to introduce myself and ask where the car park was. The Manager came back out with me and showed us to the car park, and helpfully carried our case back to the B&B, he also gave my husband brief directions so that he could get his bearings. The Manager advised us that as we were the first to arrive we could choose which room to have (the rooms we could choose from were opposite each other on the first floor). The Manager described one as “smaller with a bath” and one as “larger with just a shower”, we plumped for the larger room (at the front of the hotel facing on to the road). The Manager took a few minutes to finish getting it ready and then left us to it.

We had a quick look around the room and did find it a bit dirty. The TV stand had obviously been damp dusted, and not very well, as there was a “swipe” of dust left on the TV stand. The top of the TV was caked in dust! I washed my hands after using the toilet and as I picked up the “white towel” folded on the side on top of the floor mat and held it out I could see there were stains all over it and it was wet. We decided to stay as we knew we wouldn’t really be in the room and my husband said that he thought the lovely breakfast (that we didn’t get to sample!) would make up for the short comings in the room.

The room would really benefit from a luggage rack, rather than the sofa.. and a good makeover, everything just seems a bit cheap and £80 per night isn’t cheap! The room is bigger than the other one, but the floor space is taken up with a sofa that we didn’t use. When I used the shower later on our arrival day I was disgusted by the dirt in the lip of the shower door at the bottom. It would take no more than a toothbrush to give that a good clean. Overall we found it to be very grubby, and that’s before we encountered the leak!

As the weather was so nice we literally got changed quick, unpacked our toiletries and left to go and explore. We walked around Tenby for a while (taking in the lovely sights) and then found a restaurant, where my husband booked a table for us for that evening. We wondered around a bit more and went for a drink or two before going back to the B&B to freshen up for the evening.

We stayed in the room for a couple of hours before heading back out, by which time the weather was glorious! We meandered down to The Blue Ball had a beautiful meal (we can recommend the scallops and the hake!). We slowly made our way along the seafront back to the B&B and thought we’d have an early night so that we could be up bright and early for the humungous breakfast that we had read about in previous reviews… unfortunately this is where it all turns sour…

Once back in the room I bent down to take my shoes off and thought I could hear a dripping sound. I had a quick look around the room and then saw… there, above the door, in the corner of the ceiling, water dripping out of a hole in the ceiling. It was constant so my husband went down to the reception area and rang the bell. The Manager greeted him after a couple of minutes and made his way to our room with my husband. As my husband explained the problem coming back up the stairs the Manager stated that he thought this problem had been rectified, but obviously not. The Manager kept explaining that he thought it had been rectified and then went up to the room above ours, when he came back he said that the people above us hadn’t used the shower (which was in that corner of their room) but we thought different. The Manager then disappeared again and when he came back, he said the people above us had used the shower but they hadn’t used the shower curtain, thus having a shower in the bath without using the shower curtain?! The Manager then proceeded to go and get his stepladder and when he got back to the landing outside of our room he started gouging the whole area where the leak was inside our room with a stanley knife and a screwdriver, which resulted in the ceiling (and rubble) coming down into our room (luckily we had removed the coats from the back of the door!).

I can laugh about it (a little) now however, when you have driven nearly 6 hours to stay away for the weekend this is really upsetting.

The Manager then went back downstairs to get a dustpan and brush and when he came back upstairs he cleared away the rubble on the landing and, if it hadn’t been for my husband, he would have left the rubble in the room and behind the door. We felt at this point like things were just too much trouble for him. The Manager advised us that he thought the leak had stopped at this point and so left us to it however, no sooner had he gone it started leaking again! My husband went back downstairs and advised The Manager that it was leaking again. The Manager came back upstairs and looked and said that there wasn’t really anything else he could do. My husband then advised that we would stay the night but not to be surprised in the morning if we decided to go and stay somewhere else. The Manager said he didn’t have a problem with this and left us to it.

At this point we did take some pictures (attached) as in the hole in the ceiling there were red wires… LIVE WIRES… and the leak was directly above an electric plug in point.

Once back in the room by ourselves, again, I told my husband that there was no way I could stay in the room overnight… I wouldn’t be able to sleep and I couldn’t relax, wondering whether the ceiling would cave in further over the bed!

My husband then went back downstairs (at this point it was 11pm) and advised the Manager that we would be leaving that night (driving nearly another 6 hours to get home!).

The Manager helped my husband out with the luggage while I went to get the car. Whilst my husband was waiting he advised the Manager that we would be writing a review and that we had taken pictures of the ceiling. At this point the Manager became angry and his attitude towards us completely changed. He kept telling us how he had a state of the art fire alarm system, but a fire alarm system would not have stopped someone getting electrocuted!!

All in all, certainly not worth £80 per night. The proximity to the harbour is good, but that is all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
stephen e, Owner at Croyland Guest House, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and firstly let me appologise for the problems you encountered during your short stay,however it is difficult to take any constructive critisism from your review as it was merely an unfortunate incident that was out of our hands.Sometimes a little stanley knife slit can get rid of any standing water which was the idea,had this happened at an earlier time the problem would have been resolved on the day.The leak did stop at 11.40 p.m as i suggested it would and the plumber had repaired the problem by 11.00 a.m the following morning and the room was re-let.At no time was there any danger from the live wires as they are sealed and if there was any water contact then the whole floor would have tripped out on the main fuse box.As regards to the dust on t.v stand there is not a t.v stand in room 3.I would have prefferd for you to bring the other problems to my attention during the day.
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

nice comfortable room , huge breakfast , we could only stay 1 night "friday 06th september" due to everywhere being booked due to the iron man event which we had no idea about !!! i spoke to steve who let me leave my car parked in the car park for two more days at no charge as the hotel i had to go to did not have a car park.

Room Tip: i had room 3 and it was very comfortable.
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Decided to go to Tenby and found this b&b on the internet. Rang them and they had availability on the same day. Met outside by the owners who showed us where to park in a private carpark opposite the guest house.
You cannot miss the house its bright green with lovely flowers outside.
Our room was a family room although there were only 2 of us. Big room with a double and single bed. 2comfy chairs. tv. fridge. ensuite. The room was pleasent.
The guest house is literly 1 minute walk to the shops and the old walled town. Close enough but not right in it so it wasnt noisey.
About 5-10 minutes to beach or harbour.
The best thing was breakfast. so many choices and all cooked and presented lovely. You will never leave hungry.
Run by Two lovely people who i hope we will see again . You will be made to feel welcomed.
Everyone we met in Tenby made an effort to speak to us and we went out drinking with locals into the early hours. Peaceful but plesent.and safe town. Wish we lived here x

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Croyland over the August Bank holiday. We had Room 2, which we were told was the smallest room, so no great surprises when we got there. It was small, but clean and pleasantly decorated. For the price we paid, it was very reasonable. Having free parking was a bonus.

The breakfast was fantastic. I have never seen so many menu options at a B&B before. The buffet was full of cereals, cheeses, yogurts and fruits. Then came the hot meals. We had the Welsh breakfast the first morning. It was huge and I regret eating all that food, but it was very tasty. The next morning, I opted for a smaller breakfast of toasted bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon and my boyfriend had the pancakes.

The host - Stephen was really friendly. When we arrived, he dropped what he was doing to show us to the car park and explain the town to help us get our bearings.

The Croyland has a list of recommended restaurants and we reserved early, as per Stephen's advice. We ate at Ocean one night and The Mooring the next (both excellent!). As we ate, many people came in without reservations and were turned away.

I definitely recommend The Croyland!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Croyland Guest House? Share your experiences!