“Vile and dispicable” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tenby
Heywood Lodge Country House Hotel
Heywood Lane, Tenby SA70 8BN, Wales   |
Ranked #24 of 25 hotels in Tenby
Dundee
“Vile and dispicable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

Me and my girlfriend decided to take her elderly wheelchair bound father Brian away for a break to Tenby. After being reassured that wheelchair facilities were adaquate we decided to book for the weekend. When we arrived were shouted at by some women for parking in a wheelchair space even though we clearly had a disabled badge displayd in the front window. When the lady noticed she just said she was joking and turned out to be the owner Marianne. As we booked in Marianne was clearly giving my girlfriends father evil looks as though he was a burden and was muttering expletives under her breath as she tried to find our deposit slip.
She then showed us to our rooms and told Brian to "roll on" and even was as rude as to ask for "a lift". Brian laughed along but we could tell he found it insulting. We were shown to our room and we were disgusted, it was a room with two single beds and a table and chair. When we pointed out we would need somewhere for Brian to sleep she just pointed at the single chair and joked "Im sure we can rustle you up a blanket". In the end I slept on the floor with the window open to keep the smell of the over powering air freshener out. I didn't get much sleep and when I heard staff outside refer to our room as "Ironside and the wankers" I decided to get a refund and stay somewhere else instead. When I approached front desk and asked for a refund Marianne went absolutely berserk and told us we were lucky a hotel round here would take a [--] wheelchair m**g and to [--] off with Chorlton. We didn't bother staying to argue for a refund Brian was in tears and apoligising to us for ruining the holiday, it was heartbreaking.

• Liked — Opening windows
  • Disliked — Ill treatment of disableds
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

My wife and I had booked months ahead for our special two day celebration. The owner took more that 50% as a deposit (not agreed) which we thought quite scandalous. We booked a 4 poster bed with a garden view room. When we arrived it took us about 20 minutes to raise the owner (mid afternoon). She greeted us with distain. We were apparently too early (at 3pm) to check in so we said we would go for a drive. On our return she said she was surprised that we had come back at all. The room was not as agreed. She had put a regular single customer in our room. She denied it until I proved to her what she had written on our deposit note. She said we could have the room on our second night and (pathetically) she would give me an extra roast potato as compensation. She got her own back charging us £26 for two glasses of house wine for the 2 night stay. Her attitude was appalling from the start. It was a disgrace and one not to be repeated.

• Disliked — Attitude of owner
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Northants
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

After a very long drive we eventually drove into the small car park of what looked like a 'Vera Duckworth Establishment'. Out came
'Vera' and she told us to park around the front entrance. We were relieved at this as we assumed the front would be far grander and befit it's 4 star rating - wrong. The stone clad walls and the glass stained front door was a far cry from the 'Country House Hotel' we were expecting. 'Vera' who turned out to be the owner, appeared at the front door and proceeded to give us a tour of her Chintzy
'palace' - we were then shown to our room which although it was a good size it was overpoweringly SMELLY. It had a nasty cheap air freshener machine which kept on puffing out this disgusting toilet smell so much so that with all the windows opened our eyes were watering and my husband was coughing. We then plucked up the courage to tell the owner it was too smelly for us to sleep in - she was not amused and acted as though we had something wrong with us. As the whole house smelt we decide to find somewhere else in Tenby and asked
for a refund, she refused so in the end she found us another room (which was the original one we had booked anyway) which did not smell so much.

We escaped for our evening meal in Tenby but returned in anticipation
for our spa bath - which was the only reason why we booked this hotel
in the first place - needless to say the water pressure was so low that it took almost an hour to fill up - the lights in the bathroom were not working and then when we got in the bath and pressed the buttons - yes, you've guessed it - nothing.... . The final straw was waking up in the morning to see a Brake Brothers van obviously delivering our plastic breakfast.

Marion Stone, the owner, refused to give us any sort of refund even though it cost £148.00 for the night. An absolute disgrace and has put us off ever going to Pembrokeshre again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Marion Stone and the stinky cheap air freshener
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
South Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

Oh how I wish I'd read the reviews first; if I had I would've saved ourselves a wasted journey.

After booking a weekend for me, mum and pooch,on B&B and evening meal. We arrived on the Friday after a 2 hour drive; naturally being a bit tired we wanted a freshen up and food.
When we arrived we were impressed by the place, until we discovered that we were at the Heywood Mount next door! Backtracking, we saw the sign for Heywood Lodge and pulled into a small car park next to what looked like a private house.
Yes, this was the place!!
We were greeted by a young lad in tshirt and jeans who I assumed was Polish or eastern European. He wanted to show us the hotel but I asked for the room as we were ready to drop!
What we saw of the hotel was very twee and chintzy,and a bit dated.
There was a menu outside the restaurant but when we asked when dinner was, the lad replied that it was closed because the owner was ill. As the brochure stated there was a chef, I queried this; then was told the owner was the chef!!!!
A coule arrived shortly after looking for a place and food too. When we asked to see the owner, he went away and came back to say the owner was ill and couldn't come!!!
We asked where we could find a place nearby to eat but the lad didn't know; so asked if the owner could tell us.
OOOps, big mistake to expect any help! out storms the owner, ranting about how she's had a migraine all day and we should have some sympathy; and she would be cooking breakfast the next day!!!
All we wanted was advice on where else to eat, but she was extremely rude and sarcastic. and she tried to make us sound selfish in wanting some help.
I wasn't going to be spoken to like that, neither was my mum! so we said we wouldn't be staying there with her attitude, and that I wanted my deposit back. She told me I hadn't even paid which was a lie as I'd given my details over the phone when she'd asked for the deposit.
I asked again about the deposit then she ranted "fine fine, you can have it", then stormed off.
How an establishment owner could speak to customers in such an unprofessional rude manner is beyond belief!
I swapped details with the other lady as she'd suggested, in case mrs stone disputed what she'd said about my money.
We ended up going back home that evening as other places were booked solid.
So thanks for a ruined weekend mrs stone, and how you ever got the Welsh Tourist award is beyond us; unless it was for rudeness and sarcasm.

• Liked — Not there long enough!!
  • Disliked — Rude sarcastic owner. Misleading brochure
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

I booked a four poster spa room for the evening of our wedding night,
and also specified that i would like the room from eleven am for myself and the bridesmaids to get ready in.

I arrived at the "lodge" just after eleven with all my essentials for the day, obviously including my wedding dress. We were immediatly
told the room i had booked was not available and was shown to a tiny dark room big enough for two people! When we spoke to the owner to inform her that we were not happy, she proceeded to repeat "well what
do you want me to do about it?" she said that the room we had booked was dirty. getting increasingly upset i explained i simply wanted the
room to get ready in and it could be cleaned after, after a big argument (where there was no apology just lots of shouting on her part) we were shown to the room which turned out to be the wrong room! when asked if i could just have the room i booked (six months proir) she replied no there is someone in it! By this point i was crying as bearing in mind i was supposed to be getting ready for my wedding (a happy occasion) seeing me upset she snapped "you have two choices you either take this dirty room or just go home" she was so rude and quite viscous with it,it was so horrible we just wanted to leave. Getting all our things in the car (me still carrying my wedding dress) the hairdresser arrived, as we were explaining to her the situation out storms the owner, shoves my money at me and storms back in!

Her behaviour and attitute is the worst any of us have ever encountered and to have this happen on the morning of my wedding just made it unbearable.

I was not prepared to have her ruin anything so i walked up the road with my dress (hairdresser in tow!) to the HEYWOOD MOUNT HOTEL where they were wonderful. showed us straight to a huge bright deluxe room and charged me less for all my trouble! without them i dont know what we would have done.

So a huge thankyou to heywood mount, but as for marion stone of heywood lodge, you dont deserve such a lovely establishment.

Mrs.Rebecca Nelson

• Disliked — the owner
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

Having recently spent a night at Heywood Lodge I feel we must write in warning others not to be tempted by the four stars awarded to this 'so called' Country House Hotel (right in the middle of town??!)
The standard of accommodation was was very poor in relation to the price we paid; Small room,dated decor,tiny bathroom and nowhere near the standard expected from a hotel of this calibre. After a very uncomfortable night , breakfast was unimpressive. We were not allowed to sit in the conservatory (despite there being three empty tables!) and we were asked twice if we would be dining that night , not a decision you want to make at eight o clock in the morning!
It was all very disappointing as the brochure pictures look fantastic.My husband and I were mislead into paying over £130 for spending a night in a room barely 9ft x 9ft , an uncomfortable bed and a tiny bathroom!.....Be warned!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — poor value for money
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vincennes, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

The hotel manager was extremely nice and accomodating. We even managed to convince her to make ice tea for we Americans every day. Our crew was there for about three weeks and I don't believe we had a complaint about anything the whole time. The food was great, the service was outstanding, and I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business

Been to Heywood Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!