“Child & Dog friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Tenby
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Child & Dog friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is my first experience away with a Dog (twins & a poorly husband- came down with it on the way there nothing to do with our stay). However I had stayed at this hotel years ago & loved the position of the hotel over the North beach & made sure we had a Sea view Family room. Unfortunately it was for one night only as we couldn't stay any longer due to personal reasons.
The room was situated at the very top which luckily there was a lift as our dog doesn't like stairs (only because he is Not allowed at home!) Hotel is bit dated but areas are having a make over, so a work in progress however nicely done.
The receptionist was very helpful & lovely ( even though our dog did have a wee accident in the lift as he didn't quiet make outside the next morning. It wasn't a problem & was cleaned up straight away.) There were other guests with their dogs too so I wasn't the only one.

We had room service for dinner as my husband wasn't feeling too good. In fairness it was delivered on time & with a smile from the young lads & didn't mind making a 2nd trip up for more bread! The menu I thought was a bit of a mis match but perhaps I am too critical because I am in catering. Perhaps more emphasis on local Welsh / British dishes & some lighter options- like local crab sandwiches/ mackeral pate/ local cheese & chutney ploughmans/ Pint of prawns/ Welsh afternoon teas- with Bara brith & welshcakes??... I understand restaurants are now going global with their menus but seeing as this is such a lovely Welsh seaside hotel, stick to the roots & give tourists a taste of Wales, not noodles (Unless you are linked to Oriental cuisine.) I think chefs tend to think if a dish is not British then it's not Posh enough! (Bearing in mind I am not British nationality, I would of preferred a menu connected to the Chef/ owner, location or country I am in, no matter where I am in the world!!)
The children ate for free if parents ate off the menu too which was v good. I had a steak which was cooked exactly how I like it (as you can tell I'm a fussy bugger!) & it was locally sourced meat too, so thumbs up there.
Breakfast was nice & the 2 lads who served our room service were serving the next morning. Good selection & even my hubby made it down (which might have had something to do with the women's Spanish golfing team!) I was a little bit put out by one table who was constantly on his mobile phone through out the entire breakfast!! His poor wife & children looked embarassed & gave all the other foreign guests in the dinning room a stereo typical rude loud Welsh bloke with no regard for anyone let alone his family!
It was nice to be sat amongst a mixture of hotel guests & perhaps tourism in Wales is making a come back even if it Just rains!
I was also surprised at the young girl waitress' attitude towards the young Spanish girls, who were half way through their own breakfast & were told to move to a different table! Thought she was on a power trip being head waitress! When the Spanish asked for hot chocolate (which they tend to drink for breakfast in Spain) they were told it had ran out!! My kids had it & I really did not see how hard it was to quickly get some.
The pastries that were out for people to help themselves could of had tongs, as one guest poked them to see if hot & then the waiter took one to reheat, with his hands!

My kids loved the pool & games room and I shall definitely recommend & return.
All in all we did have a lovely short trip & I really like the hotel, just needs some fine tweaking & you are spot on!!

Tenby is still a favourite even though very touristy but a trip to Tenby is tradition for our family & so many others every year. We loved the Sunday music & fireworks at the harbour too!

Room Tip: must get a sea view room! which are always full during peak season so book early
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We booked a double superior room which although a bit claustrophobic, was adequately equipped with a nice bathroom. What we liked was the fabulous views overlooking the harbour, Caldey and Monkstone Point. Lovely, well appointed hotel immediately above the attractive North Beach - a good holiday hotel that is perfect for families and indeed for couples like us. Lovely friendly staff, child friendly atmosphere with bar and lovely clean dining rooms and reception areas and lounge. We only took breakfasts, preferring to eat out on our various walks around the coast, but the breakfast selections were great with good selections of cerials and fruits and a good choice from the Welsh Breakfast, eggs however you wanted or Haddock/Kippers/Porridge. We glanced at the dinner menu and this looked to be a good selection too.
As previous guests have observed, parking in Tenby is at a premium; however, the North Beach public car park is only 5 mins walk away and is just £2 a day to park. The car park has cameras and good lighting so we were happy enough to park our banger there. You can get some parking at the hotel but you need to book early and they will park your car for you. No one is too bothered about you parking on the double yellow lines outside to unload or on the footpath. This is a family hotel so expect to be woken early by excited children or take some ear plugs - my wife woke me at 6.00 on the second morning to tell me that the lady in the room next door was singing bob the builder to her young child!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

A Georgian building perched at the top of the cliff overlooking Tenby’s North Beach. Our large family room overlooked the sea. One comfy double bed and one single, not much cupboard space, big shower but no bath - suits me, might not suit others. It’s an old building and every room is different, so tell them what you want and I’m sure they will try to help.

Help yourself to the breakfast cold buffet while the waiter brings your full Welsh cooked breakfast. It is cooked to order so may take a while to arrive. Try the lava bread too, very strange but tasty, it’s seaweed and almost entirely not what I was expecting.

Very different to the standardised character-free modern hotels which have sprung up overnight in every pub car park with room to attract the franchise chains, the Fourcroft has been run by the family for sixty years. It’s a little creaky in places but so would you be after all that time. Parking is a challenge - your grandfather probably didn’t own a car - but it is worth the walk. I particularly liked the stained glass curtains on the main staircase.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view
coventry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

got back yesterday after taking my 3 kids there .nice hotel right be the beach .nice welcome.clean rooms and spotless bathroom..kids loved the outdoor swimming pool and chess also the games room at hotel .might be best too book a parking space .think we got lucky parking right outside.excellent position few steps from stunning beaches and not far from town ..well worth a visit ..cannot wait til nexted time

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Fourcroft Hotel is in an excellent position and if it wasn't for this and the beautiful seaview from our window, this hotel would have seemed overpriced.
I had a bad feeling on arrival as straight away was not even given a friendly hello, just a stern look across glasses as I asked a simple question. We weren't informed before our arrival that we needed to reserve a parking space so my husband had to unload our luggage and then go off to find one.
Considering there were four of us, our room was tiny although the bathroom was a nice size despite the small bath. My 6 year old was given a small putup bed which she just about fit onto. During our stay, the beds were made and the tea/coffee/biscuits replenished each day but the room was not cleaned and we ended up with a carpet covered in sand.
Breakfast was an experience: overcooked bacon, gone off milk and uncovered bowls of cereal. I wouldn't have minded if I hadn't seen children coughing all over them.
We ate dinner in the hotel once and found it to be overpriced for the quality of food although the dining room is pleasant. There are plenty of restaurants in Tenby so I would recommend having a wander.
The bar area is always open and has a relaxed atmosphere. However, the lounge at the front of the hotel is in need of some updating as is the games room, although the children enjoyed playing in there. There is an outside pool which is good with a few sun loungers. The children enjoyed the pool although we didn't use it much due to the weather.
This is not to say that we did not have a nice time. We enjoyed our stay and Tenby is lovely with amazing beaches. The hotel has lots of amenities but needs updating and more attention to detail to ever tempt us back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview which makes the price seem worthwhile.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I recently spent a weekend with friends at the fourcroft hotel tenby west wales, the staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is in a great location overlooking a beautiful beach, it was clean comfortable with excellent food, i would highly recommend it, the only advise i would give is book your parking space before you go as they have limited space.

Room Tip: worth having a seaview room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Clifftop location overlooking North Beach and only a short walk from the town centre.Stunning views over the bay from our 2nd floor room.Access to beach via gardens across the road via a lot of steps down(and up). Parking is difficult on the road but we were able to reserve a space at rear of hotel for £4 per day which was tight to access,but felt it was safe there.
Welcome from receptionist Jane was friendly and helpful,as were all the staff we encountered during our 4 night stay. Breakfast was wonderful(full Welsh or continental)...I had the full Welsh each morning.We did not try the restaurant meals in the evening as it was too quiet for us and plenty of choice in town. Restaurant did look nice and I am sure the food would be good(judging by breakfast), pity it wasn't busier...we don't like eating alone.
Hotel was more traditional than modern in appearance, could possibly do with an upgrade but clean and comfortable nonetheless....room was small but adequate and standard of housekeeping very high.
Nice little bar downstairs,coffee and snacks available and comfortable lounge, which provided an ideal rest area for a couple of the more elderly residents late afternoon.
For the younger fitter guests there was close access to the beach or the coastal path South to Saundersfoot and some nice walks around the town.
Tenby itself has a good choice of restaurant or pub food and some really nice Welsh real ales were also available. Favourite pub for us was the Hope and Anchor near the harbour, closely followed by the Buccaneer on the High Street, but plenty of choice.
Room rate of £120(£60pppn) was a bit pricey for B&B, but the 4 nights for 3 offer brought the price down to an acceptable £90(£45pppn).
Thank you to Jane and all the other staff, hope the weather improves for you..........oh, I forgot to mention the weather.....foggy in June.........well, it is Wales after all!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view, view from rear of building is not at all exciting. Stairs to 2nd floor and above...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fourcroft Hotel? Share your experiences!