“Cosy spot on a cold dat” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Ironbridge, United Kingdom
“Cosy spot on a cold dat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and u had lunch at hope and anchor and were pleasantly surprised. My husband had a ploughman's lunch and I had cod and chips. Both were well presented and served with a smile. My cod was gorgeous, fresh and nicely cooked with a rocket, red onion and balsamic reduction side. Not what I would expect from a pub and very well received.

We sat a table next to the log burner and we could have stayed there all afternoon!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Droitwich, United Kingdom
“Great cosy pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Me and my boyfriend are currently on holiday and decided to go for a bite to eat in Tenby. We stumbled across this place and the menu seemed pretty good and at a good price too. I had the lasagne and the other half had the cajun chicken with a side of onion rings. It was really really good! The seafood menu was really good too. Good sized portions for the money and very good quality. The atmosphere was great and the service was pretty good too. Definitely recommend the Hope and Anchor!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“seafood heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have been there twice in the last 6 months - now listen to this - I actually drove 94 miles to Tenby especially to eat there and have a day in Tenby. The fish combo is to die for - my husband and I have been there many times now and even if we go there for the day the staff recognise us and make us most welcome. They have a fab range of real ales and have welsh guest ales as well. They serve lovely fish - the lobster in garlic butter is the best lobster ive ever eaten, its not cheap but this is quality. Cant fault the hope and anchor - best pub in Tenby go early because its very popular and if you sit outside - watch because the seagulls are very viscious.

Visited October 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Maybe local but not good standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went here in August 2012 during the bank holiday. The weather was outstanding and there was a music festival taking place down by the sea front so as you can imagine it was a very busy day. We went to the Hope and Anchor pub for food as we had heard it was lovely and has a brilliant choice of seafood. We understandably knew we would have to wait a while as it was such a busy time. However once we were served our food, as it was late and time was getting on, they decided to clean up the outside of the restaurant in which we were sitting, and remove all the tables and chairs around us and another couple who were also dining, and basically made us feel very uncomfortable as they were just standing over our shoulder waiting for us to finish.

Every restaurant has a busy period but not all are that rude!

Visited August 2012
Northumberland
“pity about the jalfrezi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Visited on Saturday lunchtime during half term with the family. The pub was busy but not packed and had a really nice relaxed atmosphere.

The choice of beers is great with lots of real ales and the service was very good too. I would have been more than happy to spend a few hours having a few beers if there without the kids.

However, we were there for a quick lunch and had been drawn in mainly by the mussels jalfrezi advertised prominently outside the pub which sounded different and worth trying. Only to be told when ordering that they didn't do the dish anymore. Fair enough, but why have it on a couple of boards outside?

Had the chicken jalfrezi instead which was pretty ordinary. The kids meals were very standard too.

So, good pub for a beer and I would definitely go back again but if having food, probably worth trying a fish dish.