“Bad... Bad ...bad” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Ilfracombe Holiday Park

You added The Ilfracombe Holiday Park to your Saves list
The Ilfracombe Holiday Park
Marlborough Rd, Ilfracombe EX34 8PF, England (Formerly John Fowler Ilfracombe Holiday Park)   |
“Bad... Bad ...bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I didn't listen to others when I read about this holiday park and booked a holiday here. Do not do the same, Very bad, not clean.. Staff nice manager Rude and bad. Pay a little bit extra and go somewhere else.

Will never come here.. Even if its free.

• Stayed August 2013
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at The Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues, discover why they had such poor holiday and see what we could do to help. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and can only assume that perhaps their stay was not as bad as they first indicated.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just had a 4 night break here, i was dreading going after reading some of the reviews, We had booked a royal gold chalet and must say although it was basic it was clean, one complaint the beds are the most uncomfortable I have ever tried to sleep in, materesses are hard and so are the pillows. Glad I wasnt in the chalets by the kiddies park as they look like they good do with a face lift from the front so goodness knows what they would be like inside. Our granddaughter loved the kiddies club and the entertainment was good, apart from Monday nights, Lucy the saxophonist. The entertainment team work hard to entertain the children and do a good job. The food from the restaurant in the reception area is nice, we only had one main meal there and a snack another night as the prices were quite expensive for what you got the best value is the pizza. On the whole we had a good break and our granddaughter didn't want to come home. One point thought if you are going to allow people to bring dogs, maybe you should think about stipulating they should at least stop the dogs barking at unholy hours.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Patrick_Jennings, Guest Relations Manager at The Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving us such a nice review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

The park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject. We welcome all reviews because sometimes constructive criticism can be useful for making improvements for the benefit of future guests

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

we booked as a family holiday occuppying 3 chalets in one the food cupboards were filthy, in another the toilet was blocked and overflowing,the third one had floating faeces in that toilet and it was dirty and smelly with a strong odour of dogs pee, I went over to reception to report my findings and asked for to be moved as we couldnt stay in any of these chalets we were told they were all full and only one very bascic was available, she placed the key on the counter with no apologies what so ever and said try it if you want but there is nothing more that she could do, so we took the key and inspected this chalet which was a very slight improvement on the one my son had previously so we made the change, I then took the other key back saying we changed but what was happening about the blocked toilet and the floating feces in the other two she said she would send the maintanence staff around to unblock the one but there was nothing she could do about the foating feces as they had experienced an unexpected heavy rainfall, when I asked her what that had to do with a dirty toilet she made out that it was because of flooding as their drainage could not cope with it, so I asked her if every toilet in Devon had floating turds in them and she stood and stared me out with out no form of apoligy as if ti say I was dismissed my husband led me away as I was upset, after returning to the chalet I said I could not stay there but my husband persuaded me to to for the sake of the grandchildren not to diasappoint them if we went back home, so we went to the local Tesco jsut up the road and I spent £7.50 on cleaning materials and sent my husband off with the rest of the family while I spent 2 and half hours cleaning out our chalet, whilst inpecting and taking photos I pulled back the duvet on one of the beds only to find a rather crumpled and dirty sheet on the bed, when my husband came back I removed this sheet via a carrier bag on each hand so not to handle the foul looking item, once again we returned to reception and asked to speak to the manager the person whom we had previously been speaking then admitted she was the manager so I asked her do she inspect the chalets before occupancy and her reply was she normanly do but as they have been so busy she never got around to it, so I handed her the soiled sheet and said this should not be allowed and needed something done about it so what did she propose to do and her reply was 'nothing' as we didnt book directly with them but via Hoseseasons so we need to contact their Customer Services when we arrive home, I turned in anger at my husband and said give her that sheet her reply was is it a single or double and reached under the counter to get me a clean one, again with no apoligy and no offer of any staff to go back and remake the bed, I voiced my thoughts and said I thought this was disgusting and that she shouldnt be in a management position with her attitude and her reply was she had a lot to take on in the year she had become manager and havent had the time or budget to do much, I asked if we had to pay extra for cleaniness and her reply was what do you expect you are only in the budget accomadation, yet I paid almost £500 for a 4 night stay and talked among other holiday makers about their experiences and was even invited into one gold chalet where on inspection it was a grand sight better, cleaner and more equiped than ours, yet she was not happy as she also said she had to clean hers, although they had a stand in shower and dishwasher, so I asked her the important question of how much she paid for it and her reply was the same price as myself although hers was for a week and not 4 nights when I asked did she book direct she said she booked via Thomas Cook. So once again I visited reception and told the manager I was not happy as why didnt the baths even have shower sprays on the taps so we females could wash our hair properly and asked her could she manage to lie in the bath to swill off her hair in water she bathed in and again
she just did not reply and just stood and stared me out as once again I walked away in frustration. I have photos taken of the chalets which I am digusted with as trying to get ready to go out it was hard to avoid the dog hairs on your clothes, and in the chalet alongside my sons they had a dog and my son said each morning the occupant would open his door let his dog out and stand in the doorway smoking a cigarette while his dog done his business on the grass in front then go back in leaving the mess there. I could write a book in the short stay I spent there the clubhouse had crap entertaninment with noisey gaming machines in the same room and a childs playarea for toddlers which you never saw anyone under 9 in as it was occupied by older noisey children throwing the equipment at each other. Finally on the morning of vacation I arrived at reception with my keys hidden in my hand as there were staff there I never saw so made out that I was just arriving and asked the staff what was their policy in allowing dogs on site, she was very pleased to inform me yes they are very welcome, so I asked was there certain chalets kept only for pets and she replied 'oh no' they are welcome in all chalets, so I told her how come when I booked my holiday and that I partically rang direct to request pet free chalets as my son was alergic to dogs they said no problem, yet there were no such thing as pet free if dogs were allowed in anyone, I had one next to mine whom loved barking while I tried to sleep.HOLIDAY FROM HELL!!!!!! DO NOT GO. Ilfracombe was lovely and surrounding places of interest so do visit but stay else where!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I was saddened to read your thoughts regarding your stay at our holiday park. However, we do not ignore negative reviews and your remarks are being passed on to the park manager so that improvements may be made in the interest of future guests.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We arrived at the ilfracombe holiday park (John Fowler Holiday Park) on the Saturday after driving for 8 hours so we were looking for a nice rest. When we arrived but after collecting our keys we went to are chalet but on opening the door we were met by a horrible damp, musty smell and wanted to turn around and go back home, but couldn't handle another 8hrs drive in one day. The furniture and carpets were dirty and not been hovered, fridge, cooker were more dirty than a cave, we returned to reception, which was closed to complain, but the receptionist was on the bar, who we complained too and couldn't help, as the manager would not be on site till Monday and also their cleaners was not on site as they have gone home. We ended up cleaning out the chalet ourselves, with bleach, till 1.30am in the morning before having a rest. It took two days before acquiring a hoover to clean the carpets ourselves, upon this we came across a diabetic insulin needle under the children's bed, took photos and went to see the manager, who couldn't do anything but send a cleaner in, but we inform her we already clean our rooms ourselves, that's how we found this. Considering the room was supposed to be cleaned before our arrival, which they stated had been done. During our stay we also came across spider webs, dead spiders, woodlice and dog foul under the furniture. We paid just over £600 for one week stay in this hell hole. The club entertainment and hospitality were excellent and also the views around the area were brilliant. You do need to have a car to travel places as they are not close by as stated in the brochure.

Room Tip: Do Not come here, do not recommend to anyone. This place has had lots of complaints, which John Fow...

Oxford England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this 3 night break last minute, I read the reviews on the John Fowler website and they were all complimentary, I hadn't read the trip advisor ones until I had paid my money ! To be honest I was dreading arriving, however I was pleasently surprised when we arrived. Our chalet (148) was a bronze. I was pleased to see that we had been given a 3 bedroom, parking was close by and we had a nice outlook.
Like the other reviews, we were met with a smell of damp as we opened the door and had to fling the windows open. The bedroom in the double room didn't open. I say double but it was a very small double. There was plenty of storage in all the rooms with coat hangers provided in the wardrobe.
The whole chalet was very unloved. Paint flaking,cracks,skirting board missing, no working light in the kitchen,and a leak behind the toilet the sofa are extremley uncomfortable and tricky to get off as they are so low.
It was clean for our arrival though, with bed linen provided.
The park was nice and my husband and son enjoyed the bar area.
The Ilfracombe area is stunning and this review is purely for the accommodation not the park itself.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. There are a number of serious items in your review that need to be investigated.

I wonder if you told the park manager of your displeasure, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. However, I will be contacting through the Tripadvisor messaging service to see what we can do to help.
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

It's disgraceful! The dirty damp smell whacks you as soon as you open the door. I complained within 5 min of arriving and 8 calls later I was told it was tough the park was full I could have a full refund if I went home! (3 kids expecting a holiday) I advised it was false advertising in the brochure and online only to be told " if we put the pictures of the rooms up we would never get any bookings!!" Exactly! It's a hell hole only been here 2 nights and want to go home I wouldn't put a pig ib this room. There is mold in bedrooms the door doesn't even closed shut unless you lock it fridge had mold and rust in and the planks under the kitchen cupboards had fell off. We paid £700 for this hell hole if I knew it was like this I wouldn't even stay for free. My advise is to AVOID if you have booked get a full refund asap and go elsewhere.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here on first day to find basically a glorified converted garage , absolutely stinks , stained carpets , filled holes in doors , greasy cupboards, dead flys, even a woman's toenail under the sofa bed made me heave and nearly sick the windows and doors are about to fall out they are so rotten and we paid £700 got one week here I would even put my dog in this place let alone a family , after complaining at reception we was told to write to customer service with our complaints , no offer of a part refund or another converted garage all that was offered was they could send a cleaner round , this place doesn't need a cleaner it needs pulling down and setting on fire , John fowler holidays should be ashamed to be selling these filthy , rotten holidays , take my advice and do NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Ilfracombe Holiday Park? Share your experiences!