“Good weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

Wilder Road, Ilfracombe EX34 9AF, England   |
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Ilfracombe
“Good weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Read all the review on trip advisor and I have to say I was not looking forward to our weekend away. But I was pleasantly surprised the hotel was lovely, our room where clean, had all the essentials in it and the bed where very comfy. The food was amazing plenty of choice and freshly cooked every meal time. Dan the American man was lovely he was always the when you needed him. The night porter was also very good always ready to answer any question we had. We where a party off 8 from gloucester and everyone of us had a great time. Great weekend, great company great place.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Totton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay. Room was spotless, food excellent, waiters very polite, helpful and nothing too much trouble - staff bent over backwards to be friendly. A shame about our fellow coach travellers who didn't want to join in with evening entertainment provided by friendly hotel. Perfect position to see beautiful Ilfracombe and Verity. Will certainly return to this very reasonably priced hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

my partner and I spent to nights at this hotel, purchased on a groupon deal. we paid £89 in total bed and breakfast. On the whole it was well worth the money. The hotel is clean, the welcome friendly and helpful and the food tasted good and even though it wad busy we didnt wait long for breakfast. The rooms are a little dated but they are comfortable and cleaned everyday.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

+ nice staff
+ great location
+ good food
+ old fashioned / traditional

- no decent ale in the bar
- room on the basic side, but still comfortable enough and functional
- early checkout

All in all, for the price, I think you get good value for money. And I doubt that there are much better hotels nearby. The one thing I think it could do with is a little bit more modernisation and better choice of drinks in the hotel bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Firstly I should say that we didn't check Trip Advisor before we booked through Groupon. A terrible mistake.
The whole sorry tale started with my husband waiting patiently in the car outside while I popped in to ask where the car park was. "There's no point in me telling you where the car park is as I know it's full up" was the answer. When I said that I wasn't aware there was limited parking, the receptionist just laughed at me. I was then directed to on street parking quite close by which I would have to pay for until 6pm, from then on I would not have to return until 10am the following morning when I may possibly find a space in the car park.
We went to our room via a strange layout of lots of narrow stairs, landings and corridors. It made me feel quite uncomfortable so I ensured that we knew exactly which routes we could evacuate by in the event of any fire. It really was quite a hike.
Whilst some may view this as quite quirky, I did not. This was a tired, dated, scruffy and grubby hotel, and no amount of quirkiness can make up for a sad lack in housekeeping. My room and bathroom were not clean. How this hotel merits 3 stars completely escapes me. The most dreadful bed, mismatching tatty old furniture, some of it just badly painted mdf, extremely old soft furnishings that had seen better days, generally no redeeming features whatsoever.
Breakfast was a complete shambles. We waited patiently to be seated, but after 10 minutes I approached a member of staff to ask for a table (he tried to run away from me but I ran after him so he couldn't ignore me). He pointed to the left, "up the stairs" we were told. This took us to a small annexe where some other guests were already seated. I pulled out a chair to sit down, only to find it covered in something very sticky. It was not a pleasant experience. Checking the cutlery, this again was sticky, but we managed to find enough in the 4 sets of cutlery for the 2 of us.
Again, another long wait for service before the young girl came to take our order. She apologised for keeping us waiting but was clearly really busy running around and quite frazzled. I actually felt quite sorry for her. We ordered tea, coffee, 2 fruit juice and 2 full English breakfasts. First came the cooked breakfast; lukewarm, swimming in tinned tomato juice, disgusting sausage that I had no intention of eating, and overly greasy fried bread. The egg and rasher of bacon were OK. Then came the orange juice, really watery and made from concentrate, then the toast (white sliced value variety) which I asked to be changed for brown, and finally the tea and coffee. The coffee was very weak, instant, made in a pot and quite undrinkable, the tea was warm and wet, but that's the best I can say about it. The most disgusting breakfast experience was the final straw. We packed and left before the on street parking ran out at 10am. I stopped at reception on the way out to say we were checking out and leaving a day early as we were very disappointed with the hotel. "Oh, OK" she said, and then "bye" and carried on with what she was doing.
At least we had a fabulous dinner the night before at Seventy One on Fore Street, but that's another review!

Room Tip: The best room would be one in another hotel nearby.
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have just spent a very enjoyable 4 days at this hotel with Just Go holidays.
The room was spotless with fresh towels at all times.
The food was excellent with very generous helpings (compliments to the chef) and the dining room was also spotless with really friendly staff.
The entertainment in the evenings was also excellent especially the singer and guitar player on Saturday night. A really good weekend

Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Four day holiday with JUST GO coach holidays
On arrival at the Grosvenor hotel we were given a lovely warm cup off coffee or tea which was very acceptable after a 8/9 hour journey ,whilst we had our coffee our suitcases were taken to our rooms by the bag boy's and girl's which was a very pleasant surprise, the rooms though smallish were
very adequate, the shower again smallish but lovely and clean ,towels were changed once on the second day, tea making facilities were also covered as was toilet tissue, 3 rolls.
Cleanliness of the hotel was second to none our room was cleaned 3 of the 4 days we were there.
Food was very good and we also had a good variety to choose from, the waiters were at your beck and call and always with a smile , bar man Bob from Detroit was very pleasant.
Entertainment was excellent, a fine guitarist /singer and also Steve the DJ .
On vacating the rooms we put our suitcases out side the bedroom door , whilst we had our breakfast the cases were taken to the coach for us once again, fantastic....
I am left now to say thank you to the staff and management of the hotel for making our stay most enjoyable plus JUST GO COACHES thank you Brian the Irish driver for your humour and
banter throughout the whole holiday a fantastic experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grosvenor Hotel? Share your experiences!