“It was mistake to eat here.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #87 of 92 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British
London, United Kingdom
“It was mistake to eat here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I don't usually give 1 star or mark a place terrible. This was my first one. We had tried Ilfracomb Fryer on the reviews, the night before, it was great. The second place in my mind was Maddy's. But while taking a stroll on Quey we saw 2 giant Crabs in plate for display and was offered fresh crab sandwich. My wife liked the idea. Also the hotel owner mentioned that there is a good Fish N Chips place at Quey. But here it was two places, close by. Didn't know which one he mentioned. Anyway! We ordered Fresh crab sandwich and Haddock N Chips. We were asked to wait 5-6 minutes for fish. We took our takeaway and sat on seafront bench opened the bag and disaster! Crab sandwich was prepacked from factory I guess, like the other gentleman mentioned, 2 half triangle slice of brown bread with brown crab paste at 6 pounds :-(
Haddock was under cooked, with water left inside, and better was under cooked as well, not even golden. I don't know why the chef was rushing, there was no one waiting behind us.Chips were not crisp at all. I had some chips, dig out the fish, throw away the rest for seagulls. Don't go there I say!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“great fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

this was one of the best fish & chip shops we have been in the batter on the fish was thin and crispy just how it should be and also value for money.

Visited July 2013
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“Didnt even eat here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were happily looking at the menu deciding on whether to eat here when we were rudely ushered to the table by an less than happy elderly woman. We were told where we could and couldn't sit as she huffed and puffed while we tried sorting out our young child so we could all fit in the cramped and out dated restaurant. We were sat for a good 10 minutes looking at the highly priced pub grub and weren't even offered drinks! £7.00 for a PLAIN 3 egg omelette and chips! We looked at one another, picked up our son and walked out and went next door to a lovely fish and chip shop. Appalled doesn't even cover it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Poorest customer service ever experienced.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Whilst visiting the Dolphin fish and chip takeaway with my family on bank holiday Monday 27th May 2013, I received the worst customer service I'd ever experienced. The women that was approximately 45 years old, serving behind the takeaway counter was clearly very angry about something and shouldn't be working with the public whilst in such an ill mannered state. It is such a shame that a fantastically positioned restaurant is let down by its attitude towards its customers. This stinking attitude isn't representative of the folk of Ilfracombe which I found to be warm and welcoming. I will never visit this establishment again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bourton on the Water
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We should have known really, when we asked the waitress if they had any cake or gateaux she looked at us as if we'd asked for caviar, but when pressed (it DID say black forest gateau on the menu after all) she said yes. So down we sat, ordered a toasted tea cake, cream tea, a moccachino and black forest gateau.
Well the scones were OK but I have had better black forest gateau from Iceland, and even then I have never seen one only an inch and a half deep. The toasted tea cake came with one measly pat of butter. The moccachino never ever arrived. After 3 trips to say they were still trying to make the machine work (it had had a hard day apparently), the waitress finally gave up and offered something else but we had almost finished eating by then. It's not even cheap. I rarely write bad reviews burt this place left us feeling truly disappointed and overcharged. To cap it all they obscure what could be a lovely view of the harbour by sticking notices all over the windows at eye level. Probably offering you loads of things they don't really have or have bought at Lidl (sorry Lidl, actually yours would be better).

• Visited May 2013