“Lovely beer, lovely food, lovely service. Give it a go.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 95 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: Brew Pub, British, English, Gastropub
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Pier is a brewery tap and grill serving great real ale from The Wizard Brewing Company and a wide selection of locally sourced gourmet burgers. Our family friendly pub is situated right on the harbour in Ilfracombe, and boasts a large seafront beer garden with spectacular views of the ocean and North Devon coastline.Since taking over management of The Pier on the 13th of September, we have begun a much needed 6 month renovation project - So come in for a beer, a bite to eat and bare with us as we build a beautiful pub!
“Lovely beer, lovely food, lovely service. Give it a go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Doesn't look much from the outside and the inside may not be to everyone's taste but the beer, the burgers and the service shouldn't be missed. The chef happened to be enjoying some of his own food at the next table and his enthusiasm for his job was clear. He also sounded just like Jamie Oliver. Glad we chanced upon it and if we are ever in Ilfracombe again will make a return visit.

• Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Great new start for this pub, full of potential!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I headed to ilfracombe for a long weekend having never been to Devon before and ended up frequenting the pier tavern. It was obvious that it had been open for a short period of time (I was later told only a week) but the ideas that the new owners had implemented were a breath of fresh air to what seemed to be a somewhat neglected pub beforehand.

The staff and owners were friendly and eager to greet all the customers. The drinks were very reasonably priced and on an unseasonably warm day in September the view from the outdoor area known as the crow's nest made the trip to this pub worthwhile.

The gourmet burgers were delicious with a good selection to choose from.

The decor was simple but effective and the wood burner added a nice rustic feel to the pub.

I feel people are too quick to judge new businesses, but if that is what they can offer after a week, I can't wait to see this place when it gets going!

• Visited September 2013
“Brilliant Burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stumbled across this place while visiting Illfracombe with my girlfriend this September. We went down to the harbour to see Damien Hurst's Verity - which is interesting if a little graphic - and were tempted in by the gourmet burger signs. The inside is decorated simply, sort of New England shabby chic vibe, and the staff were very welcoming during our visit.

I ordered a local wizard ale - the Druid's Fluid (ooh er) and was really impressed. We both ordered burgers. I had one with cheese and bacon. The only word I can think of to describe it is IMMENSE! It was genuinely one of the best burgers I have ever had (and I'm not shy of a bread and beef patty sandwich). I think I inhaled it before my girlfriend had finished her first bite. The rosemary chips were also delicious.

I would definitely recommend The Pier Tavern. Before we left we checked out the crow's nest at the back which has some amazing views across the Atlantic. I know this place is under new management. All I can say is if they keep serving up burgers like that they'll be the busiest place in town.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Lucky to have two charming chaps running our new local !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

The new team are just re opening this once average pub. It has a great atmosphere with 2 charming new land lords.went here with some friends and we loved the new menu delicious home made burger well executed, a nice change from anything else in the area. They have done a great job re opening this place and we had such a fun night and look forward to going back soon.the local ales were the reason we went and worth going for!!! Thanks

• Visited November 2012