“Very poor customer service and food” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 92 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: An 80 seater restaurant & take away business located on the promenade with views out over the Bristol channel and only 2 minutes walk from the Landmark Theatre & car park.
“Very poor customer service and food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We recently visited this chip shop after reading other reviews but upon arriving I just felt disappointed as soon as I walked in the door I was met my a bunch of employees which didn't have a clue what they were doing on a number of occasions they were messing around and clearly weren't focused on the job at hand I ordered fish and chips for 5 people and had to wait of 45 mins to receive it other customers waited longer and weren't given the food they ordered due to the unorganised and uninterested staff, when finally received my food I had then sat down to what looked like a burnt mess with unrecognisable food which I had ordered it was burnt and the chips hard overall food was very poor but most disappoint was the service due to the staff which obviously didn't want to be there and didn't care about the customers interests would not recommend to anyone.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ilfracombe, Owner at The Ilfracombe Fryer, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are disappointed that your visit to our shop was a negative experience. We are committed to staff training and hope to provide a good service and we pride ourselves on the quality of our food. If the food was not to your standard and you had notified a member of staff we would have been happy to replace your meal.

“Good food bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Went in for sit down meal as we were going past. Looked clean and had plenty of seating. Prices were average for sit down fish and chips. Waitress didn't understand us so had to say things a couple of times (even though none of us have strong accents) she then brought the adults drinks first so the kids were moaning. When we asked where the drinks were she said "just coming" and the proceeded to take another tables order, we had to ask 3 times before getting the children's drinks. The food came out (kids first) but one of the meals didn't come out and when we asked it turned out she hadn't even written it down so had to wait for it to be cooked. The children's meals came with a ice cream dessert so waitress asked the kids what flavour they wanted to only come back and say they couldn't as the didn't have all flavours. When the desserts came out they only brought 2 so one of the children had to wait for 5 mins for theirs which caused tears and tantrums. The waitress was useless and rude. All of the waitress looked grubby and because it was busy they were dishing up the food themselves, I saw no hair nets and no hand washing considering they were handling money then dishing food up.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your food. From your comments it would appear that our waitress had made mistakes whilst taking your order for which we apologise. We have taken on board your comments with reference to the uniforms and we will be implementing changes. Waitresses do not handle food and money. We have a designated member of staff who plates up all of our restaurant food and works solely with our cooking team. We would appreciate if you would contact our website email and provide the date and time of your visit which will enable us to view our CCTV camera.
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Awful service, really wasn't impressed at all.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We ate here on our last night on holiday, we walked in and it was fairly busy but not overly, we were seated by a waitress and were left to peruse the menu, we chose for us and our 3 young children and waited for a waitress to come take our order,

In the meantime more people have arrived as we sat waiting and waiting and waiting, we noticed that others that had arrived after us were having their orders taken yet no-one seemed to notice the family of 5 sat in the corner!!!, by now my partner had got annoyed we had been sat there waiting for around 30 mins so she called over to the waitress, she came over and we asked if anyone was going to take our order, she told us she would send someone over and walked off, 5 mins later she returned and took our order, by now our children who are 6, 4 and 2 were becoming bored and agitated,

We waited for around another 30 mins before again we became annoyed, we called yet again over to a waitress who informed us there was a delay in cooking and the wait shouldn't be much longer, now call me stupid but how on earth can a fish and chip shop have such long delays?? considering all this time we have waited people using the takeaway section of the establishment (where all the food is cooked both eat in restaurant and takeaway) have been getting served immediately and those that had arrived after us were also being served their food before us too,

I could understand if we had ordered something extravagant but we had ordered 2 standard fish and chips and 3 child's fish and chips, surely that can't be too hard for a fish and chip shop to cook in less than 45 mins!!!!!

The food tasted okay when it finally did arrive right up till the point my eldest son found a long curly hair in his fish batter, for me that was the final straw I got my children ready and left abruptly, they were very lucky I even paid the bill let alone didn't kick off!! to say I was appalled would of been the understatement of the century!!! by the time we left my 2 year old daughter was so agitated that she wouldn't eat and my partner had to take her outside to calm her down and my 4 year old son was so bored he was being very loud and misbehaving a lot, all because a FISH AND CHIP shop couldn't handle an order for fish and chips in less than 1 and half hours!!!!!! disgusted, will NEVER eat there again!!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Poor staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for dinner after a day in Ilfracombe. Our party was 5 adults and 3 small children. Eventually a waitress took our order after a 10 minute wait. She brought over the adults drinks 5 minutes later, then after asking 3 times brought over the children's drinks after a further 5 minutes. The food arrived after another 10 minutes but with one meal missing that we had to wait another 5 minutes for - which was overcooked. When it came to the children's ice creams - included in their meals, she brought out 2 leaving the third child waiting another 5 minutes before receiving hers - not a happy child. The food was good (except one meal) but the service poor.

Visited August 2013
“Over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The fish and chips were excellent but the service was poor. Served by a waitress with a grubby blouse at a wobbly table that they attempted to correct with bunched up napkins!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere