“Cakes at the corn mill” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 Attractions in Ilfracombe
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: We are closed from October 19th 2014 . We look forward to seeing you Easter 2015. Please always check our opening times, which are to be found on our website. Whether you're hiking from point A to point B, you're interested in the Mill, or you were lured in by the smell of Kathy's latest cakes, Hele mill is a relaxing, interesting and child-friendly place to visit.Hele Corn Mill (or,'Old Corn Mill') is a working museum in Hele, North Devon. It is open for guided tours by the family who run the mill and tea rooms, and is currently being renovated to be able to mill flour using the water wheel.We currently make our own flour here using the black stone mill. A Whole meal flour made from organic wheat which is sold in the gift shop. Opposite the mill is the Tea Rooms, where we sell a large range of home-made cakes, slices, cream teas and light refreshments. Please park in Beach road car park near the dog friendly beach and walk across road to the footpath by the bus stop this is the prettiest way to the mill but unsuitable for push chairs and disabled.
devon
4 attraction reviews
“Cakes at the corn mill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We went here during the kids summer holiday period as a 1 off visit, never having been there before. The tea room was fine enough with lots of pottery and bits and bobs to buy.
The cakes were all home made and there was a good selection to choose from. Well priced and very tasty indeed....

We then went to visit the corn mill itself, there is an entrance fee £3 per adult £2.50 per child (as i remember), we wandered around the mill and it was interesting but did not quite grab me enough to want to stay in there long enough. We were given a demonstation by a young chap who appeared quite up on old mills and water wheels.

All in all, I think if you buy a tea and a cake in the shop, you should get free entrance or at least discounted £2.00, to the mill, if you dont get tea and a bun, you should pay to get in.

The owners were very nice indeed, pleasant and helpfull. Perhaps an older wrinkly, weathered person to show how the mill works would create more of an atmosphere for the rest of the old codgers that might come along in the future.

Visited August 2011
Hele_Corn_Mill, Owner at Hele Corn Mill & Tea Room, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
Dear Validcomments,

I'm very pleased you could visit us at the mill, and my mother was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the cakes. They are indeed all home made, either by my mother or my sister. We do try our hardest to price what we sell as fairly as possible.

In this vein, I'm sure you'll understand that the maintenance and repairs of the mill feed directly from visitor donations and entry fees. It is, after all, going on 500 years old and has constant leaks, breakages (not to mention diesel to run the National engine for each tour) and renovations required. The prices are £3.00 for adults, £2.50 for concessions and £1.50 for children over five.

I'm very glad you thought my mill tour was up to scratch! Apologies that you felt my age was an issue. If we had an older wrinkly who knew his stuff and could handle the stairs, we would've wheeled him out! A lot of the stories on the tour, however, were originally told by men who actually worked at the mill in the 1930s, though nowadays they find it quite hard to make it to the mill in person.

If you don't mind waiting forty years, I'll be as wrinkly as they come, and with twice the experience!

With all the best,
-Ben, Tour guide at the Hele Corn Mill.