“Lovely local food.” 5 of 5 stars

01271 863540
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lovely local food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

The menu was not extensive or complicated, there was enough choices for us to fancy several dishes. We had a starter, Crabcakes and King Prawns, which were fresh and well presented. the we had Surf and Turf, which was excellent with the best chips we have had for a long time. Dessert was Apple Crumble, nice and very hot!!!! All in all it was one of the best meals we have had for a long time and at a very reasonable price.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Devon
“No Fish - No Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Board outside advertised Surf & Turf. which got our attention, however no one seemed interested in serving us,eventually we sat down but were offered no menus and not asked if we would like a drink ! After asking a waitress we were given menus ,she said she would be back for drinks. Looking round it seemed eveyone was sitting in mild bewilderment at the lack of interest.from the staff. 10 mins passed she returned took the drinks order but then said there was no fish available and a couple of other items were off the menu.I asked why it was advertised outside and she said that they were short of staff .We walked out and went and had a very nice meal in the Tapas Bar in Fore Street. When we walked passed later the board was still outside advertising Surf & Turf. !!

Leicester, United Kingdom
“More than the sum of it's parts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My partner and I have spent many years enjoying the food of good restaurants, and have sampled food in Paris, Miami, London and many other places. We have visited Ilfracombe for the last 6 years and have been encouraged by a few brave business ventures trying to stave off the traditional blue rinse brigade sadly believing standing still is the best way forward... The Capstone offers a modern, yet remarkably relaxed approach to current cuisine styles, modern location design and keeping the prices below those you would expect to pay for the same in London. Without going into too much Mills and Boone, my partner and I enjoyed an evening that we have happily retold to anyone in our friends and family circle that would listen. Exceptional is a word that springs to mind. Approach the evening in a relaxed manner and speak to the patrons, brilliant hosts, they add to the evening on every level. We would give a 11/10 if we could.

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“discrimanation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

visited ilfracombe for the easter break & after a hard day of walking, passed the capstone & decided to look at the menu outside! the menu looked interesting, so I decided to ascend inside...........after asking for a table, we were refused by a waiter, who told us (after looking us up & down), that the restaurant was pre-book only! There was no mention of this outside or inside the restaurant! after looking around, only one table was reserved & 3 more were totally empty! your staff put us in an embarrassing situation infront of the fellow guests & we concluded that it must be the way we were dressed. This is why I have decided to write this review..............we were dicrimanated against on the way we dressed (is this normal management practice)?? we visited many restaurants without any problems or issues with our clothing & age

• Visited April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampshire,UK
“Fantastic Restaurant and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

Given that it was low season in Ilfracombe when we visited, it was a struggle to find somewhere to eat with the family. We chose The Capstone because it stood out against the bland and often tacky nature of the rest of the town.

We found the owner welcoming and friendly from the moment we stepped through the door. When talk came to the subject living in the town, he was very enthusiastic in giving his take on the town. Such enthusiasm for conversation and local interest was interesting and appreciated.

We loved how the restaurant looks, its elegant without being overstated and the choice of cutlery and crockery matches.

The food was utterly superb. The only possible negative thing I can say is that I don't think the fish that I was served deserved to be on the same table as chips. Fish done that well should have vegetables. That said, the chips were good too and the wife and daughter helped me witter them away.

As a town Ilfracombe is probably not for me, but should I find myself there again in the future, this will be the restaurant I eat at.

We did not stay at The Capstone so I can not comment on its rooms.