“Budget Break Dillkusa Grand Hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
CLICK FOR GREAT DEALS
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Budget Break Dillkusa Grand Hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I and my wife traveled to the Dillkuse with mixed feelings after reading other travellers reports on this hotel. I must say here, that unlike the bbc reviewers, I speak as I find, with no bias for or against any accommodation I may comment on. We traveled down by car and arrived at the Grand to find as other people have a full car park. At reception we were treated as expected guests and quickly passed throuh registering and into our spacious room. We agree that some things could be changed Like the lift only takes two people and cases which on change over day can be a bit of a bind for people who can't navigate stairs. How ever our room and bathroom was clean and serviced by dee every day, the only problem we found here was the matteress which had seen better days and requires a new one.
The hotel meals served in the restauant were found to be of normal standard, full English breakfast, toast cereals, ect and evening meals with a choice of menu including starter main and sweet including coffee and a free glass of wine to start the meal.
Drinks at the bar I found were inclusive of our package and was a nice surprize
The hotel has a plesent atmosphere, with a ballroom for entertainment and a quiet lounge for the not so adventurous, All in all a pleasent place for a short break or a full holiday week.
I would certainly go back as my trip was curtailed by illness , The hotel manager and staff were very helpfull in this respect ,and I send my thanks to them.

Room Tip: ask for a walk in shower ours came with a sea view on the 1st floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Dudley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

just returned from a weekend at this not so grand hotel needs updating .breakfast was fine exept for the cold toast only toasted on one side evening meal was just about passable small portions the pork was frozen slices mostly fat best part of the meal was the cheese and biscuits .ime 61 and my hubby 62 and we both agree that the entertaiment needs to come into the 21st century listening to LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY is a bit much .bedrooms were ok cleaning could be better STAFF were excellent credit to their jobs well done

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

just returned from a 5 day break at the Dilkhusa, a nice hotel, some rooms have been refurbished but not all. they only have one old fashioned lift, which needs replacing as it only holds 4 people, my disabled friend had to struggle down 3 flights of stairs which is not good. rooms are cleaned daily with fresh towels, lots of hot water for the shower, the dining room is very short staffed, only 2 waiters to serve about 50 people,we were getting very angry as we had to wait a long time to be served,some days over an hour for breakfast!its in a good location close to the sea front and a steep walk uphill to the high street, not really a good location if you are unfit.Lots to do in the area,Barnstable with the old panniers market.plenty shops there.on the whole it was good value for money

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My wife and I in our mid50s really enjoyed our break in this hotel.When I found it on the web site I couldn't believe what I was paying for, value for money would be an understatement.This is an old hotel but the rooms are clean and adequate, the bed was comfortable. The food i.e. breakfast and evening meal was very good you wont go hungry. The staff are superb they really enjoy looking after you.They enjoy what they do how refreshing to see.The evening entertainment is very good after the obligatory bingo.If you like a drink as we do there's not much of a queue. I here simon Cain has left, shame a great host and a talented singer. Even so there was a girl called Rebecca Somers which was very entertaining.The hotel is a good location for walking to see the sights. We drove there, the hotel parking allows for only a dozen cars but this is not a problem as the reception pointed us to a car park close by a lidl store quite safe and inexpensive. Its quite easy, read my review look at the cost, and book, you will enjoy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed at the Dilkhusa with Four friends From 24th October for 4 nights. I was a little worried at first after reading some of the reviews on here.
I have come to the conclution some people moan for the sake of it, yes i agree the rooms could do with a coat of paint and some TLC.
But they certainly not dirty as some have said.
I fail to see what more you can ask of this hotel.we were greeted by Matt Smith-- (NO not DR Who he must have heard that a dozen times) he was friendly and helpfull throughout our holiday. Silvia our waiteress was brill and so was Our room Cleaner Jackie.
The Food was good together with free drinks in the evening with good entertainment You cannot ask for more for your money.

Room Tip: Rooms on Third floor have good spacious bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful holiday that is excellent value for value with friendly, customer service then Dilkhusa will be good for you. If you want pristine squeaky clean , brand new state of the art rooms, then, sorry but you just don't get that for this kind of money. Dilkhusa is excellent value for money and it was my first time stay at the hotel and the resort-it exceeded my expectations. My room was good and spacious enough, power shower always hot water, bed not the comfiest, bit of traffic noise, squeaks and bumps of an old building in the night, yes, but the room was more than adequate,got clean towels and tidied daily. Hotel is ideally located, lots of stuff to do nearby, busses right outside , great pub down by the harbour-The Ship and Pilot down by the harbour.
I thought the food was delicious, substantial and generous portions -always hot and again real value for money. Sara was always so cheerful and pleasant and despite being very, very busy always found time for a chat and a bit of banter. Simon , who, unfortunately has now left the hotel, will be sadly missed . He is a very talented entertainer, excellent singer and so funny on the bingo and the jokes, an all round star, the audience just loved him and his naughty humour! Everyone at the hotel works hard to give the guests a good holiday. The bar staff and the reception are so pleasant and helpful as is everyone in the hotel. It makes for a really comfortable, warm , friendly, relaxed place to stay. I would definitely return as the customer service is the best and most genuine I have ever experienced. Our coach driver Andrew was very pleasant and professional and patient and skilled on some difficult routes. Thanks Dilkhusa and Shearings for a briliant holiday. Don't hesitate to book but don't go expecting 4 star , have a giigle and go with the flow and you'll have a brilliant holiday at the Dilkhusa .

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We have undertaken a number of holidays with Shearings and comparing the cost would say due to a hefty discount this time it represented what we had paid. Had we have paid the full cost I would have been very disappointed with this holiday.
To explain we went by coach. The journey and driver were 1st Class. Andy made the week with his excellent commentary and his pleaseant attitude to all. The included trips on the West Somerset steam railway, Quince Honey farm, Arlington Court were excellent. The half day trip to Barnstaple was good for those that like shopping and optional half day trip to Watermouth castle excellent value.
As I have said we have stayed at this hotel on several occasions even returning with family and friends. This stay did not live up to the experience we have previously had.
The hotel looks rather dated and in need of a refurb. Not much has changed since we last visited 7 or 8 years ago. Our room was the worst we have stayed in here. Dust was evident along skirting boards, on the TV, bedside lamp and in the bathroom. Although it was on the first floor as requested, we did not expect the kitchen extractor placed underneath our window starting at 6am (we had a 4 year old with us).Our room was dark and lacked natural light. The only evidence of a maid service was the quilt being thrown over the bed and towels folded in the bathroom. No dusting or hoovering took place during our weeks stay that we witnessed.
The sink in the bathroom was positioned so low you had to stoop to use it and it was so small
we had trouble filling the kettle. As you filled it you had to manouever it out of the sink as you lost half of the contents.
Our other room next door was the same. The bathroom was so dirty and black mildue was over the shower which appeared to have been caused due to a possible previous leak overhead. The housekkeper did clean the shower and said she would report the condition of the ceiling to maintenance. Nothing changed during the week.
The staff on reception were very pleseant as was the bar and restaurant staff. All were happy to assist or make you stay a good one.
The entertainment was repetative and not as good as previous visits. 3 days consisted of the same old westlife songs and same jokes as new people arrived at the hotel.
The food quality was ok for breakfast, but needed a lot to be desired for the evening meal.
Having said the above, we did enjoy our stay. Shearings need to spend some money upgrading and cleaning the hotel.
We have stayed in a number of other hotels with them, which have generally been excellent value for money.
This holiday is what I would call a budget holiday.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!