“Could have been great but got the impression they had tired of the business” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Allt Gynack Guest House

Allt Gynack Guest House
and 1 more site!
You added Allt Gynack Guest House to your Saves list
Allt Gynack Guest House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Gynack Villa | 1 High Street, Kingussie PH21 1HS, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 24 Kingussie B&B and Inns
Highland
“Could have been great but got the impression they had tired of the business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

The room was fine. Not spacious, but enough and the bed was comfortable. The ensuite shower room was quite nice and there were loads of "goodies" like shower gels, shampoo etc. and a heated towel rail. The house is well positioned in the centre of the village so convenient for pubs, restaurants and shops. It's a quiet place so there was no noise to worry about. My lack of enthusiasm for this B&B was based on the welcome. I had been walking all day in high winds and rain. I arrived soaked, exhausted, in need of a bit of tlc and I probably didn't look too good. (My husband was coming later by train). However, I did expect a warm welcome and, to be frank, the way the owner looked at me as I stood on the step, made me think that, if I hadn't paid in advance, I would not have been let in. It was a long time before she stepped back to let me out of the rain. I took my boots off and put them in the tray provided. The owner was clearly worried about me walking upstairs with my backpack and asked me to make sure I didn't touch the wall paper. I was then given instructions about not hanging wet things in the room. She said that if I took them downstairs, she would dry them for me, which was good, and I took her up on it. Most things were indeed dry the next morning. The information booklet was the most amazing I had ever seen, with instructions about not going down to breakfast in nightclothes and a number of other things I have never seen anywhere else. Breakfast was fine, but I was left with the impression that guests were seen as people twho would cause a problem unless they were properly constrained. They could not be trusted to behave themselves. So in spite of the nice facilities and situation, it is not somewhere I could be comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Stayed 3 nights and would loved to have stayed longer. Our room and bathroom were spotless and lots of room to spread out!! The breakfast menu was excellent and they served the best porridge I have tasted in a long time!! The owners were delightful and you felt at home straight away. I would recommend this Guest House to anybody who wants a nice relaxing break in a very pretty village!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Jenmart09, Owner at Allt Gynack Guest House, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to send in a review of our Guest House, and thank you for being so complimentary. We try to treat our guests as friends and hope we have succeeded. We look forward to meeting you again. Jen & Martin
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

My husband and i have recently returned from a 2 night stay at the Allt Gynack Guest House in Kingussie. It is very close to the Train Station which for us was a big plus. We had a en-suite room which provided us with clean and comfortable accomodation. Jen & Martin who are the proprietors made us feel very welcome and we were VERY well looked after. The purpose of our trip was to visit Sasha, Yuri and their new Tiger Cubs at the Highland Wildlife Park. We had a wonderful day out and being non-drivers we were able to take the City Link bus from Kingussie to Kincraig. My husband had the eggs and smoked salmon breakfast and commented on how delicious it was and would recommend this. What we also liked was the opportunity to decide the evening before what we would like for breakfast the next morning!. We enjoyed a Carvery dinner at one of the local hotels and this was reasonably priced compared to a similar meal in the City. The locals are friendly people and there is a small Co-operative in the middle of the High Street well stocked.
Overall we had a wonderful short break and we would glady recommend the accomodation to any future travellers to the Kingussie area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hertford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed at the Allt Gynack Guest House for three nights in the middle of June 2009. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our room. The room was very comfortable, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The breakfast was superb and nothing was too much trouble for the owners. Their tips and discount cards for local attractions and restaurants were well received, and they couldn't do enough for you.
An excellent base for touring the highlands of Scotland - well worth it, and an excellent B&B.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Very comfortable and easy to find family run business. Owners were friendly, accomodating and only visible when needed.
The house was immaculate, well equipped and the food and service second to none in terms of value for money and quality.
Only stayed the one night on my trip north on business, where the free WiFi service came in really handy, but will definitely return for a weekend break with the family and our dog.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Bridport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We recently spent two nights at the Allt Gynack Guest House. We had a lovely en-suite room, which was very clean and nicely decorated. The staff were very helpful and friendly - and the smoked salmon breakfast was divine! I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Allt Gynack Guest House? Share your experiences!