“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Kingussie
Scotland
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my mother, her first break away from home since my father died. On arrival, the front entrance area was filthy and there was something leaking under the door of the disabled toilet on the ground floor. The bedrooms were adequate, but rather shabby. I put my clothes on the shelf in the wardrobe and it collapsed. There was talc from the prevoius occupant all over the shower screen. The carpets needed shampooing.

Reception had told us that dinner was served 7-9pm. As I had been driving all day and wanted to relax for a while, we decided to go down to dinner at 8pm. However, at 7.45pm the room phone rang and the receptioist asked me when we were coming to dinner as everyone was waiting for us. We went down and I tried to find out from reception what the problem was. The foreign receptionist just looked at me with raised eyebrows. When I asked her what was wrong, she rolled her eyes.

The waiter then led us through the dining room to the same little room off to the side as mentioned in a previous review. When we said we wanted to eat in the main dining room with everyone else, he took us to a different dining area. which turned out to be where the public came for bar suppers. The manager refused to speak to us that evening. The young waiter offered us a complimentary drink.

In the morning, the manager came to speak with us. She "thought we would not want to eat in the main dining room". When I commented on the receptionist's attitude, she said "Monika is never rude - she is Polish".... I hadn't realised it was mutually exclusive. She took her receptionist's word against ours and didn't see what our problem was with the bar supper. She said the food was excellent there. The menu was reasonable for a bar supper, but I don't consider a meal with frozen chips to be excellent.

Hats off to that young barman though - he was embarrassed and was only doing as he had been told to do. In the morning he went to the shop and bought me croissants. My one star for service goes entirely to him!

We had booked for 3 nights but left after 1. I couldn't recomment this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
DukeofGordonHotel, General Manager at Duke of Gordon Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2009
In regards to this review I personally checked the guests in on arrival and they were provided with newly refurbished twin rooms with no single person supplement charge added.

I was brought back on duty as the receptionist rang me to say that some guests were being slightly aggressive and could I assist her; I immediately came to the Main Reception.

On their first evening the hotel receptionist had rung the guests in their room to enquire if they would be coming down for Dinner as the Table d’hote was due to close very soon and to see if they had decided on which of the Restaurants they would like to eat in. They had been offered our quieter Garden View Restaurant overlooking the landscaped gardens at the front of the hotel or the Main Balmoral Dining Room, both which provide an excellent service. They were offered a complimentary glass of wine by the waiter on duty knowing that they had recently suffered a bereavement. I personally spoke to the guests as they sat in the Restaurant and they commented on the great service.

I would also like to point out that the hotel receptionist has been at the hotel for over 2 years and is an extremely competent and popular member of staff. During their stay we received no complaints about the Housekeeping services.

The next morning one of the guests refused a cooked Full Scottish Breakfast and asked if the hotel served croissants, although not advertised, the Head Chef promptly provided these for her.

As always, our ultimate goal is to exceed our guests expectations which we achieve on a regular basis.

Mrs Jansson

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Situated in the Spey valley the hotel has lovely views all around which all adds to the excellent service we received whilst staying there. The rooms were clean and comfortable with coffee and tea making facilities. The public areas of the hotel were well kept and clean and the staff were extremely polite and good natured. The meals were very good, an excellent choice at the buffet type breakfast, with as much to eat as you needed, and a first class evening meal consisting of a wide choice of four courses and coffee. The food was welll cooked and very tasty.
After dinner each evening there was entertainment in the ballroom with a little comedy, singing and dancing, and everyone including the non dancers seemed to enjoy it.
The bar in the ballroom was well stocked and the bar staff were able to offer advise on different drinks and nothing was to much trouble.
We found this hotel fitted our requirements perfectly and will certainly be going again.

• Stayed April 2009
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Duke Of Gordon at the beginning of January as we wanted to get away for a relaxing weekend winter break. That is certainly what we got.

When we arrived there was a very welcoming fire in front of us as we came in from the cold and as we checked in the reception staff couldn’t of been more helpful, telling us what was available to do locally.

We went to our room to freshen up which was loveley, spacious and clean.

The dinner was four courses and then coffee which we were not expecting and it was excellent as was the breakfast, as much as you can eat buffet and possibly the best homemade sausages I have ever had. I wanted to take some home with me!!

I only have one criticism and that is that the weekend was not long enough.

Thanks again all and we will see you in the Summer!!

• Liked — Sausages and Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

We stopped at this lovely hotel by pure chance...and what a lucky choice it was

absolutely brilliant stay..cant wait to go back again..

We were greeted on arrival by nice friendly reception staff and given a lovely big family room, just for the two of us...it was very clean and the room was beautiful

got a good deal on the price too as we booked in late..(about 3 oclock)

Dinner was absolutely amazing..we had a complimentary glass of Bucks Fizz and a fantastic four course dinner...then through to the large pleasent lounge for our coffee

relaxing in the lounge was lovely..the christmas decorations and trees are really lovely too...then the live entertainment came on

it was wonderful..thoroughly enjoyable and enjoyed watching the other guests up dancing too!!

Breakfast was a buffet style and really wonderful..the staff are all really nice and friendly.

cant fault a single thing and strongly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Cant pick out one item ..the whole stay was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

I went to Scotland for a long weekend to get away from it. I live in London and wanted to get fresh air, rest, space, peace and quiet, comfort. Duke of Gordon was on the train line and seemed to be well priced. The first room I was given was dirty around the edges - as though it had been cleaned only on the places that are used/seen regularly - and the tv was not working properly. They gave me another room with a working TV, but still dirty. I could handle that. I then went down for dinner. The coach party had turned up and when I asked where I should eat dinner I was told it was my decision. I wanted to be where there were other people so I said that main dining room. They had already laid my table for breakfast so I had to wait while they laid for dinner. The table turned out to be in a smaller room off the main dining room and I was the only person. My order was taken quickly and the food arrived even quicker - conveyor belt style. The starter of haggis was ok. After eating half the main I found a fly in it. I compained and they apologised. I went to bed. Throughout the night there was noise - creaking floorboards, movements - very thin walls and ceilings. Suffice to say I got little sleep and woke up the next morning exhausted. By the time I got to breakfast the dining room was empty (totally), the buffet breakfast was crusty and I found some material/hairy thing in my eggs. I had booked 3 nights but checked out after 1. Found a wonderful B & B just down the road.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DUKEOFGORDON, General Manager at Duke of Gordon Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2008
In response I would say that I do remember a very pleasant young lady who was here in Scotland for a walking break I met her personally when she arrived, and both myself and the receptionist assisted in researching walking routes for her and asked her that as she was walking alone and didnt know the area to keep us informed of the routes she would be walking for saftey reasons.
I was astounded at the comments given to trip advisor as when the guest arrived she was given the choice to eat in our Ala Carte Restaurant as a complimentary upgrade or the Carvery Bistro or the formal dinning room.
The bedroom allocated was newly decorated with a new flatscreen high definition television which she thought was placed to high for her and would like to change her room which was done to her satisfaction.
It should be noted that the hotel works with and was recently graded with Visit Scotland acheiving a high three stars for excellent service,and quallity clean product and currently working with Visit Scotland to achieving a forth star.
The hotel prides itself on the standard of cuisine and again working with Vist Scotland to acheive an Eat Scotland award.
It remains to say would the lady who wrote these comments please contact me where I would be delighted to discuss her stay with us further.
The General Manager

Been to Duke of Gordon Hotel? Share your experiences!