“Most enjoyable stay and great Highland hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newtonmore Road, Kingussie PH21 1HE, Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Most enjoyable stay and great Highland hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed Sat/Sun night and had a warm welcome and a lovely room. Some of the other reviews made me concerned but we were delighted with our choice. It's a small 3 star hotel so we didn't expect gourmet cuisine and were very pleased with our dinner. We chose to eat on second night also. There was a good wine list and not too pricey.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Having read the reviews, we were looking forward to a quiet weekend away at this hotel, not expecting anything special. Having turned up, we had a basic room, which was fine, very basic, but it was clean. However, the tv was not tuned and no signal could be found, therefore was not available to us (on a Saturday evening - nowhere else to go with a heavily pregnant wife). When I informed the duty manager, he flippantly relied that I should have taken a good book to read! That comment defied the whole purpose of the trip! When I asked to change room, he said that it was not possible to do so. No apology. His whole manner was quite rude, may I suggest to him through this website that he should invest in a training course in customer satisfaction. We had enough by this time and, after being there for half an hour decided that we should ask for a full refund which was reluctantly given to us, still no apology. I was prepared to drive back to Edinburgh - a 2.5 hour drive, but we tried the guest house next door - The Arden House Guest House - the people there could not do enough for us- took us in at the last minute, provided me with a complimentary dram and gave us the best room in the house which has been very recently refurbished, along with a full Scottish breakfast - all for the same price as the other one, which incidentally, was for room only. Avoid the Scott Hotel......go to the Arden House, very warm welcome, beautiful place, good food, lovely people.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kingussie hotels

suffolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

The outside looks sad. The inside isn't much better. At first sight it looks reasonable, but the longer you stay the worse it gets! The bath panel was hanging off, the manager said he'd fix it, it was still as bad when we left 5 days later. After 3 days I wrote "please dust me" on the tv, when we returned later that day I dusted it , and the rest of the room, myself. No one (exept me) made the bed properly, the top cover being pulled over a wrinkled bottom sheet. The underblanket looked grotty. Bar was closed at 8.15 one night, mansger said no one was in so he closed, we were there, he just walked off. Floors all in need of a good hoovering. All in all not a good place to stay. The Duke of Gordon, a few doors away, is a much better bet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
shorty001
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

There was no tv available in our room, we were told it didnt work and there was nothing going to be done about it. Found the reception a bit awkward and unwelcoming. Finally got a free meal thrown in having complained about our room, but felt it came through gritted teeth. We were told we couldnt sit in the lounge after 10pm since alarms needed to be put on! After returning home with what i thought was midgy bites (in september??!) i found that it was actually bed bug bites from the hotel room! Would not recommend and definately wont go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

It's hard to find anything especially wrong with this hotel. The welcome was nice, the manager putting us at ease from the start. The room was comfortable and spacious, and first impressions were good. The whirlpool bath was a nice surprise.

Then we notices that the more awkward places could be cleaner - corners of rooms, behind doors, sides of cupboards. A window was cracked and the bath panel had come off. None of these things really spoiled the stay, but like the English football team, it tentatively made it through qualifying stages only to be found wanting when taken to task.

The hotel claimed "free wi-fi throughout" but I couldn't pick it up from my room. I had to go to the stair well to get a signal. I guess rooms on the middle floor (where the router was located) would have less of a problem.

The evening meal was quiet - just us, although a couple had just finished. To our knowledge, Kingussie has no gourmet restaurants so it made sense to eat in. The food in the hotel was, well, safe. My salmon as served with boiled veg much as I would have made it myself. The menu wasn't one with exciting modern fare like Thai fishcakes and chilli nachos anyway. Meat (or fish) and two (or more) veg. The waitress could have managed a smile or at least some smoke signal to let us know she really does want to be there, even if she actually doesn't. The manager served us coffee at the end, with the waitress heading out like a cat into the night.

Breakfast was "the usual" as found in B&Bs all over Scotland. Again, nothing wrong, so no complaints.

Everything about this hotel was...OK. The price was reasonable (around £100 for two of us, dinner, B&B). But I wonder how much effort it would take for the hotel to go just that little bit further? To just be a little more exciting and memorable?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My boyfriend and i recently stayed at the Scot House Hotel. The hotel was very nice, clean and well presented but could do with a lick of paint in some areas and an outdoor arielf for the tvs. The staff were extremely nice and helpful - good local knowledge of the area and tourist attractions. The area (Kingussie) was ok - a bit too quiet for our liking i.e. no local restaurant or pub, nearest dining was in Aviemore (15 mins drive away). There is plenty to do and we would recommenrd this hotel as a base for exploring the Cairngorms.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

My wife and I spent a night at the Scot House Hotel on the way back to Edinburgh from the north of Scotland. We loved everything about the north of Scotland and the Scot House Hotel capped off a very pleasant and most memorable stay.
The hotel building is over 100 yrs old. It is beautiful and elegant in appearance which added to the appeal of our stay. We were met by Colin the hotel manager whom was friendly and very helpful.
We were in room 6 on the top floor. The room was small but very cosy. It was very clean and tidy. The bathroom was small but clean. The shower was lovely with excellent pressure.
Unfortunately the regular chef was sick and the restaurant was closed. We decided to walk into town, which is a short 5min walk and had an excellent pub meal at the Tipsy Laird. I recommend the bangers and mash served in a Yorkshire pudding. Very nice topped off with good service and friendly staff.
Breakfast is included - there's a good variety of cereals and cooked breakfast.
Overall the Scot House is an excellent hotel and is perfect for a short or long term stay.
Highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!