“Weekend away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Weekend away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend booked this hotel after reading good reviews about it. When we arrived our room was ready early for us. Nice clean superior room. The bar was basic and had a nice sitting room with tv board games aswell. The location of the hotel is ideal we went to folk museum and highland wildlife park also a drive to Avimore. The food was ok but not at restaurant standard but was okay for us no complaints really apart from saying the room had a king sized bed when we arrived it was 2 singles put together with a bed sheet but wasnt really a problem . The temp hotel manager couldnt do any more for us really nice and friendly. We would like to return possibly next year for a night when we do our tour of the highlands. The hotel seems to get more bad reviews than good ones I dont know wht we enjoyed our stay and thought it was lovely...

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I reviewed this hotel in 2005 under previous ownership and management but how it has gone downhill since.!The exterior desperately needs upgrading and the lovely interior put in by the previous owner, who seemed to have excellent taste, now needs refreshing and bringing up to its former glory.

Visiting the bar and restaurant area it becomes immediately clear that the current owners are strugeling to keep up the pace of refurbishment needed. I have seen its up for sale and does not surprise me. The Scot House Hotel deserves better!

Room Tip: Avoid if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Kingussie hotels

falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night while visiting the nearby wildlife park. It was a lovely building from the outside. Our room was a superior ensuite overlooking the main road. It was a good size room with additional chairs and table which we utilised whilst watching the world go by. The new owner was very friendly and helpful and did admit that the rooms could benefit from some updating. However our room was clean and warm and the bed was extremely comfortable. We ate dinner in the bar and the choice of menu was excellent. The food itself was hot, good portion size and very tasty. I especially enjoyed the jam sponge pudding with custard. Breakfast was more than adequate with juice,cereal, toast and a cooked choice. My wife even ate all hers as the portion size was just right. The lounge area for guests is beautifully decorated and a great place to relax with a wee dram and a good book. All in all a great place to stay in Kingussie as all the shops can be walked to in a matter of minutes. Will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night mid September with my Fiancé, Mum and Dad. I booked the hotel through their own website and chose a Superior Ensuite and a standard Double as those were the only 2 available along with 1 twin. My Fiancé and I stayed here 3 years ago and had a lovely room so we were really looking forward to the stay. I chose the hotel on this basis and encouraged my mum and dad that it would be really nice.
On arrival we were given the keys for rooms 5 and 6. My mum then asked what room was the superior one because it had the jacuzzi bath. The gentleman looked a bit confused and said it was just a standard double for both rooms, I showed him the email and explained it said 'Superior Ensuite'. The rooms were both the same price and the gentleman asked why we didn't question there being a difference?! Obviously we don't run hotels and just thought that we had got a good deal. We decided to leave it
And go to the rooms. My parents took room 5 which we all went to see, it looked ok, a bit dated but generally most of them are like that in Kingussie.
Myself, my fiancé and my mum then went upstairs to room 6. When we walked in the bed was tiny, the wallpaper was peeling off, the mirror was disgusting, the roller blind was watermarked and falling to pieces. It was obviously like an attic room as it had sloping ceilings, which was a nightmare in the bathroom as my fiancé is 6ft 4 and wouldn't have managed to fit in it. My mum decided it wasn't adequate so asked to be moved. All of the rooms were full but some guests hasn't arrived so we switched to room 8 which was a family room. Again the bed was tiny, the roller blind was watermarked and absolutely disgusting. The windows, mirrors, shelves, pretty much anything was dirty and in need of a good scrub or to be ripped out. The bathrooms are modern but dirty and very cramped. The tv's are dated, the guest welcome book is tatty and the free WiFi doesn't work anywhere in the hotel.
On closer inspection of my parents room we discovered that indeed it was dirty, the window pane had cracks in it, the switch on the lamp was held together with tape, one of the cups from the tea set had like a sugar or tea crust on the drinking lip, there was damp marks all over the ceiling and the 2 single beds squished together creaked to no end.
The breakfast in the morning was adequate, the black pudding was fried and so really greasy and the bacon was kind of underdone. The hard boiled egg I asked for came as a soft watery egg as well.

I would've recommended this place to anyone going to Kingussie as it was lovely 3years ago. But now a change of hands and time has done it no justice. If you're going for 1 night then perhaps you can put up with this standard but we really struggled. None of us are particularly fussy about style so the fact that it is dated wasn't our concern. But when we stay somewhere it has to be clean! And this place just isn't.

• Stayed September 2013
Lossiemouth, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i came here for a weekend away.. The staff where lovely and very helpful but the place itself was very out dated and beds wern't comfortable. It was located in a great place where access to local shops and sightseeing was only 5 mins away. The breakfast wasnt great either and felt that you would have to be in the older age group to really enjoy the hotel etc.

• Stayed October 2012
richmond
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The accommodation is looking a bit worn in parts but the exterior was receiving some attention at the time of my visit. The proprietor was friendly and helpful but seemed to be having to undertake all the tasks himself. Evening meal was plain but reasonable value and breakfast OK. It bit pricey for what it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Alloa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have stayed in my life, the owners were really nice and friendly, but im afraid that is where it stops. We had a meal that tasted awful and made me ill the next day, the room I stayed (room 4) was dirty.......... (a bit of an understatement ) the room was filthy, the bath panel was broken, the shower was broken, there was black mildew all over the bath and sink, there was blood on the wall in 3 seperate places and on the ceiling, there were cobwebs with dead spiders and flys in the corners of the window, the window was broken, there were pieces of wallpaper coming off, there were stains on the wall, the lamp shades, two of the pillows were yellow and looked like they were smoked stained. They did not change our towels in the 3 days we stayed there, they did not take out our rubbish and there was a genuine lack of interest in running this hotel. The outside of the hotel was run down, the tables and chairs were falling apart, there were ashtrays full of cigerette butts left for days, all the paint was flaking off everywhere, all in all the place was a complete dive and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE STAY THERE EVER. One month after I stayed there the hotel decided to process the transaction and take the money out of my account. I really questions the competance of the owners and their ability to run a clean, functioning hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. There are more hotels in Kingussie that look much better and are cheaper
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!