“Enchanting Country House” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Blairgowrie
Colchester
“Enchanting Country House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

A warm and friendly welcome, wonderfully relaxed atmosphere, amazing views across the hills. We stayed in a beautifully appointed bedroom with lovely fresh flowers--just perfect. We hosted a small dinner party, the food was exquisite, the staff so very attentive; my guests were delighted. Thank you so much Graeme and to all the staff at Kinloch House, we hope to return again soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reading, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

While I have slightly mixed feelings about Kinloch House, I will say that my husband and I enjoyed our one night stay there. We were looking for a short getaway while visiting my husband's family in Perthshire and came across the travelzoo deal- 200 pounds for a superior room, tea, three course dinner, and breakfast.

What we liked:
Beautiful setting- the front of the house looks out onto a pasture, and beyond that a fantastic vista of the gorgeous Perthshire countryside. There's also a lovely walled garden behind the house that's a great place to sit and relax.

Service was friendly and efficient, if a bit formal by contemporary standards.

Overall the room was very comfortable (including the bed).

Dinner was delicious. Others have found the dining room too formal, but I thought it was kind of cozy (partly due to the nice, soft lighting). We also enjoyed having coffee afterwards in the drawing room, which nicely rounded out the evening.

Not too crazy about:
The bathroom, which I found kind of bizarre and very dated. First of all, it was completely carpeted, including the area by the toilet (that just seems wrong) and right next to the tub; since there was no shower curtain of any kind that area ended up getting soaked. And while the tub's fancy faucet fixtures were nice, there was no way to take a stand-up shower. Couldn't they just install a little hook where you can hang the shower head? And while it was very clean, it seemed tired, e.g. the wall paper was peeling.

Mixed feelings:
There was something about the overall look and feel of the house that I appreciated but didn't completely love, however I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm a huge fan of historic homes and prefer hotels with character that evoke their surroundings over hotel chains, so in theory Kinloch House should be just my speed. I'm not sure if the posh hunting lodge thing just isn't my style or if all seemed a bit too contrived. Or maybe the place just needs a little freshening up.

Also be aware that there's not much do to at the hotel, so it's not the sort of place to plant yourself for more than a day or two without plans or the means to get out and about (note that it's a bit of a hike into the village of Blairgowrie and the road didn't seem pedestrian-friendly).

Having said all of that, I should again stress that my husband and I really did enjoy our stay and felt the travelzoo deal offered fantastic value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Went here on a deal. On arrival we were greeted with " oh is that the dreaded discount voucher you've got there " which did not make us feel very welcome at all. The room was spacious
but...felt it was a wee bit shabby and old fashioned. I personally did not like the bath which only had a hand held shower head . Felt this hotel had delusions of grandeur although the bar/conservatory areas were very nice and comfortable. The evening meal was for me just average nothing outstanding, however the female waitresses were very attentive without being intrusive, a definite skill. The outside areas, particularly the walled garden were lovely. In all this hotel is aimed at the hunting shooting brigade not my cup of tea I'm afraid, it would not tempt me back. At times I felt a bit uncomfortable in the atmosphere which was a bit pretentious and snooty in my opinion, but I appreciate this is only my view.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

There is litle to add to the (almost without exception) very favourable reviews below. We had a lovely large bedroom and (which we prefer) a bath (in the attractive and spacious ensuite bathroom) that ISN'T self-standing in the middle of the room. .Yes, the hotel could be called old-fashioned by some but it depends what you want. For us, it had a thoroughly comfortable and stylish,country house feel to it, which appealed to us immensely. ,And we didn't find the owners at all haughty or rude but, on the contrary, friendly and charming.. The receptionist,,barman and restaurant staff (seemingy mostly from Poland, or Hungary) were also very friendly, if spoken to, and extremely conscientious. For example, my glass of (tap) water was continually topped up, without my asking - and the ambient temperature that week-end made the attentiveness especially welcome. The dinner itself, while expensive, was excellent, offering 3 courses, preceded by 'amuse-bouches' and succeeded by petits fours with the all-in coffee. - We loved our stay and, if opportunity offered, would be quick to return.

Aberdeen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Not having booked but enquired if we could see the lunch menu which priced the 2 course at under £20 and a 3 course under £30. We explained that it was not a full lunch we required but one starter and one sweet which would see us until we reached home for dinner. The order was accepted and so we ordered a bottled beer and some hot water. After the snack the bill was requested and we were ammazed to be charged £29 for our "lunch"! When we indicated our dissapointment to the ownwer we were dismissed with "what did you expect!" Needless to say we will not frequent there again and advise our friends etc via the web of their dissatisfactory charges. Otherwise the staff and the surroundings were very acceptable.

scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Despite living not very far away, we only cam across this hotel through a "deal". I'm very glad we did. This calibre of hotel is not to be found very often, the attention to detail throughout the hotel is excellent and is evidence of a very well managed operation. Check in was seamless, we were given tea and home made shortbread at tables outside on arrival - although there are at least three very comfortable sitting rooms we could also have chosen decorated in scottish country house style. A walk to a beautiful walled garden where amongst the flowers the chefs could be seen picking herbs for the evening meal, was followed by Pimms in the conservatory made to perfection. The bedroom was a beautiful light sunny large room with a large en suite bathroom, both of which had everything you could need. The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel's rural location ensured a peaceful nights sleep. Dinner was superb, and my husband's exacting needs were catered for without fuss, the wine list is good and reasonable and contains an excellent selection of French wines.
We were only away for one night - but it feels much longer, and we certainly will be visitng this hotel again now that we have found it.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Just back from a wonderful night at Kinloch House. We had taken friends for their wedding present and thankfully they were not disappointed either. Both superior bedrooms were extremely comfortable, very spacious with wonderful views over the countryside, very large beds and lovely furniture and the cleanest cream carpets i have ever seen in a hotel bedroom! The public rooms were beautiful with open fires. The staff were super, very polite and helpful which always enhances a stay in my book. Dinner was excellent served in a lovely diningroom with coffee and petit fours in the conservatory, not forgetting the canapes prior to our meal. Breakfast was great too, all fresh and cooked to order. I would definately recommend staying here, we shall definately return at some point.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kinloch House? Share your experiences!