“a gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Sandown
Colchester, United Kingdom
“a gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is a gem; fantastic value for money, friendly and helpful staff, spotlessly clean, comfy bed with duvet. We had an online winter break deal that included ferry crossing, breakfast and dinner and look forward to returning when the weather's warmer!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband and I plus my nieces and nephews stayed here for a couple of nights off season. The hotel was super friendly, very clean and comfy. The food was amazing, full five courses that even impressed my very fussy brother who also stayed! The bed was comfy (yet a previous client same room said it was awful and gave one star! Why?) Nothing was to much trouble for the staff who were all a delight, especially the waitress and bar man. This hotel deserves to be much more than a 2 star! The pool, Jacuzzi etc was also very good, clean & warm. You really must try this place! And the best bit, value, we chose the winter warmer and the prices included the ferry, breakfast and free dinner, I don't know how they do it for such a great price. I will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I decided to have a few days away, just me and the dog! And found the Wight Montrene offering a great Winter Warmer deal which included ferry crossing, breakfast and free 5 course evening meals! Great location, couple minutes walk to Sandown beach - handy for the dog (out of season). Great selection of food for breakfast and dinner. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. There was entertainment on two of the nights I stayed, including a Jazz&Blues night which was fab, very 'go-with-the-the-flow" with some of the regulars bringing their trumpets or giving us a tinkle of the ivories; because I enjoy abit of singing I was also able to get up and sing a song too, everyone was very friendly and tried to involve everyone in the evening! Great time!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

you can not fault this hotel had a lovely stay staff very welcoming and friendly, food was outstanding couldnt eat all 5 courses in the evening and the waitress was very polite and attentive she served us all week breakfast and evening meal and always had a smile. The room was comfortable and extremely clean it had everything we needed. the swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room was lovely and relaxing. after reading one review "fawlty towers" i can not dissagree enough we where told on arrival all about the swimming pool and £1.00 for jacuzzi ect the changing rooms are definately very clean and are what you expect for a changing room somewhere to hang your clothes and to get changed, we had a wonderful stay here extremely friendly staff would stay here again if we come back to isle of wight

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Montrene lots of times,for a 2 star hotel, (should be 5 star) great staff,and a great central location,to start anyones holiday,having a large car park is a must,with the high street/beach,2 minites away.
The food is great,and breakfast is the most on offer i have seen,(just ask when ordering) any extras. I stayed from the 14th dec till the 7th jan,before the xmas rush,to enjoy the the pool,spa,steam room,etc. my room was good lots space,very comfortable bed and shower etc. Over the xmas/new year,and lots of beer from the well stocked bar,and party games/bingo,quiz,and a great snooker room,(£5 for approx 65 mins) spent a lot of time in here,due to our lovely british climate,sausage rolls/mince pies in the evening, yes most enjoyable, Well recommended. 9.5 out of 10.

Room Tip: Any disabled person/s ask for ground floor room,but note 2 steps upto bar area,and i like 2nd floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 302 and our 18 year old son stayed in room 222 just for the one night as he was joining HMS Collingwood the next day. We had stayed at the Wight Montrene about 4 years ago our son included and we loved it then and am was very pleased to say we received the same friendly welcome as we had in the past. Thenstaff were helpful, curteous and very friendly as on our previous visit. They very kindly upgraded our rooms from a single f(or our son) and economy double (for us) to economy double and superior double. My husband and I had a lovely evening as did our son. The pool was lovely and warm veryclean and we had it all to ourselves which was brilliant. Both rooms were clean and warm with the usual tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV, extra pillows, hairdryer etc. Breakfast was to start later than we were hoping as our son had to be on the mainland quite early so the chef started breakfast early just for us. My husband had the Jurassic but there was no way he could finish it and he is a big eater!! Outstanding service. We are planning a family trip in the summer and The Wight Montrene Hotel is the only place we choose to stay. My son (who is 18) said as we left, I can't believe it's only a 2 star Hotel. Keep up the good work Wight Montrene. Paul, Celia and Danny Roe

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
wightmontrene, Owner at Wight Montrene Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
I must admit that I rarely write a management response to “good” reviews. I really should do so but such is the pressure of running that which is largely regarded as a VERY good hotel that there is just not enough time to do so unless virtually the same boring “formula” wording was to be repeated time after time. But in this instance there is good reason to break from that normal routine.

The point needs to be made that the hotel does not have a room 302. It does however have a room 203 – and that was indeed the double room in which Mr. & Mrs Roe (I use their name as they have done so in their review) slept on the night of Sunday 19th January. As can be seen from their “Excellent Hotel” review they were more than happy with everything on their one night at the hotel.

Strangely, the writers of “Not what we expected” and “Fawlty Towers”, Clive R and Debbie R, were in that SAME room for the nights of Friday 17th and Saturday 18th departing on the morning of Sunday 19th – the day upon which the Roe family then took up occupation of that SAME room.

At no time during their stay did Clive/Debbie R mention their room or bed – it was only in their reviews that “The bed has to be a top contender for the "most uncomfortable hotel bed" competition, lumpy and hard. We both got up with a stiff back” appeared and by the time their first review appeared the Roe family had left.

Now, unless I have some form of second sight and so in a panic shot out and found, bought and had delivered a new bed (in the 3 hours that the room had no occupants AND on a Sunday!) the bed stated to be a top contender for the “most uncomfortable hotel bed” competition was the same one that the new occupants found more than acceptable.

Strange indeed are the small proportion of hotel clients that will scratch around for every extra additional piece of tinder to add to the fire of their complaint in order to bolster their own self importance!
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I had booked a weekend at the Wight Montrene Hotel as a treat for my wife - they advertised an indoor, heated swimming pool with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room and they also advertised a selection of spa therapies. There was to be a resident pianist, Steve, and the photo's showed a nice little baby grand piano. They included a 5 course meal each night as part of the "winter warmer deal" and this was explained to me on the telephone when I rang to book. Ferry crossings were also included in the price.
I booked by telephone so that I could request a room with a bath, confirm the arrangements in respect of meals and crossings, and explain that I would like to have the tickets to wrap for my wife, as a xmas surprise. The tickets arrived promptly, as promised.

Having looked at the menus supplied online for Friday and Saturday, we were really impressed and had picked out the deep-fried camembert and duck as 2nd and main courses. After deliberating over the list of spa therapies, my wife plumped upon a body massage

We were disappointed to find that, when my wife rang to book the massage, the therapist was injured and unable to do any massage therapies - oh well...

The ferry crossings, there and back, went smoothly and there was no problem with these.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were asked if we had been told, on the phone, that there was a possibility that meals might not be available - my recollection of the conversation was quite the opposite - I had been assured that there would be meals on both evenings. It seemed that the management has decided not to cook on the Saturday and they were to refund us £18 each with which to find an alternative meal in the area. Ho hum.

After using the swiming pool and steam room (the sauna required advance warning inorder to heat up and I hadn't taken any pound coins for the jacuzzi) and while my wife had a shower, I went downstairs and asked if I might be allowed to play the piano (yes, I can play) - the girl on the desk immediately agreed, infomring me that the "resident pianist wasn't playing this weekend. However, this was contermanded by the owner. I also found that there were no bar staff, although the receptionist was happy to serve at the bar when asked to do so.

I sat in silence and alone, staring at the piano until my wife joned me to await the opening of the restaurant. We were disappointed to find that the "Friday menu" had changed - no deep-fried camembert (this had been changed to boiled egg and mayonnaise) and no duck (the best they could do was beef suet pudding). We were disappointed but up-beat and joked about it to the waitress.

It would seem that she told the owner about our disappointment because, during the soup course, he appeared to give us a telling off!
"The daily menus are regularly changed so that regulars don't get bored with the food. We apparently shouldn't have looked at the menus online.
How could we possibly be upset about Saturday's meal not being supplied as they would have been giving it to us for free anyway? - they normally only repay £7pp but were giving us £18 each. (this confused me as I thought the meals were part of the "winter warmer deal" rather than being "free")
The pianist was off because it was quiet, as was the bar staff.
I wasn't allowed to play the piano because it was rented. This then changed to that I might not be able to play well enough (I was insulted by this) and later that it would upset the other guests - I just looked around at the empty dining room and towards the empty bar area. Oh, ok - I could play the piano then." I declined out of principle.

We did not feel welcomed at this hotel and I was truly surprised not to have a waiter from Barcelona serving us.

That said, the building itself was very pleasant and clean , with the right management, has great potential.

Room Tip: don't go "out of season" - had the distinct impression that the owner would prefer us...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
wightmontrene, Owner at Wight Montrene Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Basil Fawlty here - with a rather non-answer to that truly delightful couple, Clive R (Not what we anticipated) and Debbie R (Fawlty Towers) both of Swansea - so vociferous in their condemnation of their cheap weekend - £100.00 each which even included the £56.00 car ferry cost - so leaving the majestic sum of a whole £36.00 per person per night to cover their Room, Breakfast and 5 course Evening Dinner (plus tea/coffee) that they BOTH felt it necessary to write their individual diatribes of condemnation!

As said this is really a non-answer as I have absolutely no intention of dignifying with a detailed response their scurrilous versions of their terrible weekend - during which the hotel owner (me, "Basil") on hearing from the waitress that they were not happy with the night's menu, actually had the temerity to politely go to speak with them and to find out what was wrong. Instead I think it to be a safe assumption that future users of TripAdvisor will have sufficient common sense to evaluate these two against the majority viewpoint, then reach their own conclusions as to what weight should be put on their opinions.

But that said, as between them they not only distorted actuality but also indulged in somewhat of a character assassination, I would make just two points:

1. With hindsight it would really have been better if I had not bothered to inquire of my guests as to what was troubling them - but that would not have been professional. But far from the scene conjured up by such phrases as “he appeared to give us a telling off” and “we were practically shouted at for wanting what was advertised on the website, and what we had paid for” it was I that met with the veritable catalogue of all the items mentioned in their two despatches from what is made out to have been a veritable war zone!
2. As it would appear that our Friday night menu had, even before arrival at the hotel, been the subject of lip-smacking anticipation, conversation and prior choice (thereby proving that our website had met with full advance and in-depth perusal) it is indeed strange that most of the points made, both on the evening and in their two “reviews” were covered in that same website! The menus page states that they are subject to change, the pianist is promised during the peak season ( “until at least the end of September” and “entertainment on several evenings each week during the season”) so should not really be expected in mid-January!. Meanwhile the times/costs of the jacuzzi, sauna etc. are not only fully stated on the website but also in the bedroom browsers, on the notices en-route to the pool and on the keycard which was given to them on arrival!

Basil Fawlty, now signing off and reverting to my own identity, John Amor, proud owner of one of the highest rated AA 2 Star hotels in the U.K.

Been to Wight Montrene Hotel? Share your experiences!