“Lovely friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Home
“Lovely friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

After reading a couple of previous reviews we were a little uncertain what we would find having booked a "travel style super saver" and not choosing our own hotel. We were pleasantly surprised though as the staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were very clean and compared well to other places we have stayed. There was a good choice of meals all served piping hot and very quickly. Serving staff were very helpful and even took the trouble to remember how I wanted my coffee every day. A nice touch that made me feel like it was a home from home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We made an impromptu trip to IOW, had no reservations & just showed up & were promptly checked in. The rates they charged were very competitive. We got a room with a double and 2 singles. The interior was quite dated (think 80's floral wall paper, old pink curtains, etc). However the bathroom was clean, shower worked, there was plenty of space in the room and bathroom, so once you get past the decor it's quite nice. The beds won't suit everyone, they weren't particularly uncomfortable but good enough for a nights stay. The BnB was only a 5min walk from everything. Overall given their rates, this was a good choice, no real perks but if you're looking for perks, you need to be willing to splash out a bit more cash and find some place else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We arrived for a two night stay but after sleeping one night was ready to go home. the bed is so hard my back is still suffering and the pillow like slabs of concrete. The decor needs to be updated and the bedding brought into the 21st century. The only plus side is that the place was clean and the staff appeared to be friendly. I did not consider the breakfast to be a full english and would not bother again to visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

It's ok but that's about it not a place for young people. Mainly coach trips and old biddies. It was ok. That was it room was very basic felt like Doc and Marty in back to the future. I think my nans house is more modern. One good thing about the hotel is that the weather was good and we could get out of it! Also I really like the rock hard pillows. As I almost knocked the mrs out when play fighting. Would I go here again? No. But funny memories of a strange hotel. Defiantly worth a laugh. (Or not)

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Groupon advertised a 2 night stay with afternoon tea and a glass of wine at the rivieria for £99 which we snapped up without an background checking!

6 months later I walked into the reception to check in to find a man arguing with the receptionist, the man shouted "I don't know how anyone can stay here, I want my money back" slightly awkward! What are we letting ourselves in for??

After parking the car we returned to reception where the lady was very appologetic and led us to our room to make the point the room we were in is not that bad. I think she upgraded us due to the situation I had witnessed and we had a beautiful view of the sea and sunrise, but the room itself was very poor. It was like staying in my nans bedroom for the weekend, with tassels from the lampshades and outdated wallpaper throughout the room and bathroom, its clearly has not been modernised since 1970.

We decided it could be worse so went to bed... To find we do not have a duvet but a sheet, a thin blanket. The pillows can no even really be called pillows more like concrete slabs with a sheet around them.

I love the IOW but it is safe to say I will not be hurrying back to the Riviera. It is a hotel for coach trips and older people. I would advice anyone who plans of staying their to take their own bedding if they want a decent nights sleep and set their expections LOW.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was a wonderful surprise to my wife & I, as the cost was relatively cheap. The staff, facilities, bedrooms, and the assistance we had with our bags was exemplary.
Not a place for certain handicapped people as there is no lift, and quite a few stairs.
We do hope to re-visit, definately will use the Riviera again, hope Travelstyle will use this Hotel in the New Year.

Room Tip: Our room was above the main entrance, no problems did we experience, noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
South Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Stopped here for 4nights at a total cost of £120 that included travel,ferry bed breakfast and evening meal with 2 free excursions with travel style and i must say it was well worth every penny,this hotel should be more than a 2 star!the food at meal times was lovely,staff were very friendly the location is perfect for shopping and the bus stops are just across the road and its very easy to travel and get around on the buses.the rooms are a bit dated we had a double bed and a single bed in the room it was very spacious,the shower however is not so good the water runs out so slow and takes ages to rise shampoo etc out of your hair.we met some lovely People on this tour alot older than me and my friend as we are in our mid 20's, so it might not suit younger people but there are bars and pubs near by.there is entertainment in the hotel.just also found it a nightmare getting my case up and down the main stairs to the hotel(around 15+).overall we enjoyed it :) would return to this hotel

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Wight Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!