“Fabulous service from start to finish.....” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 60.5% 2nt Break £88
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Sandown
Sidcup, United Kingdom
“Fabulous service from start to finish.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Took advantage of a cheap Travelzoo break for 3 days offer with my husband. Value for money the break was A*. The staff were fabulous and couldn't do enough for us - always smiling, willing to help and extremely professional. We were HB and could not wish for tastier food....delicious.
The room was clean and tidy but I have to say the décor was a bit tired and dated. Also took advantage of the half price treatments - manicure & pedicure and both my husband and I had a full body massage. All excellently delivered by the beauticians.

Room Tip: We paid extra for superior room as we wanted a king size bed, very comfy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Many thanks for choosing to stay at Melville Hall Hotel & Utopia Spa and for rating your break as A* for value for money. The staff will be delighted to hear that you found them fabulous, helpful, smiling, professional and couldn't do enough for you. The chef will also be absolutely delighted that you could not have wished for tastier food - I'm pleased that you found this delicious. I'm glad you found the room clean and tidy and that you were able to make the most of the half price offer on spa treatments and found these to be excellent. I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Buckinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business, but the hotel is not geared for business. The room I had was fine dated but adequate, wifi didn't work properly. Breakfast didn't start til 8am which is late. The breakfast itself wasn't great fruit salad consisted of lemon and orange slices! I went straight from breakfast to check out. There was one person in front of me who was also checking out. He was asked by the lady on reception if he could wait 5 or 10 minutes as she wasn't ready for him to check out!!! He said he couldn't wait so he was checked out and then so did I as I couldn't wait either!! I'm sure it is fine for leisure but not for business.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Steven W, Owner at Melville Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at Melville Hall Hotel.

Whilst we are geared for the leisure trade primarily - not many people on business have time to chill out in our Leisure Club or partake of a relaxing massage - we are able to cater for the business traveller.

I am sorry that you experienced issues with the wifi at Melville Hall, we have had recently some intermittent issues and I have just given the go-ahead for the installation of a wired wifi system throughout the hotel giving all areas a fast and reliable wifi service, whether they are in their room, the bar or lounges or even the Leisure Club or Outdoor Spa.

We are able to offer breakfast at any time upon request, if we are able to do anything for a guest we always will. We have several business customers staying with us this week, many of whom are regulars and we do cater perfectly for their needs with early breakfast and even this week providing packed lunches for guests who are working on a location which is more remote and without catering facilities on site.

All our rooms have a desk to enable work to be carried out in your room and we offer a free photocopying and faxing facility as well.

With regards to the fruit salad at breakfast, we offer a fresh fruit platter as part of the buffet service, whilst all cooked breakfasts are freshly cooked by the chef and are not buffet style, to ensure a better quality to the customer. The fresh fruit platter consists of orange and grapefruit wedges along with melon, apple, pineapple and kiwi. Lemon does not form part of the fresh fruit platter, so I am afraid I am unsure why you thought it did.

Reception is open from 8am, but again we are more than happy to cater for early checkout should it be required, I am sorry you experienced a short delay when you came to checkout before 8am but am pleased you were able to checkout when you requested to do so.

I am sorry that you feel we are not for the business traveller, I will certainly think about any other improvements we can make to cater for corporate customers and am sure the improvements we make will benefit all our existing business customers as well as yourself should you choose to return in the future. Of course, you could always return on one of our spa breaks instead for some well-deserved pampering after all the hard work!
Sutton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

2nd time to the Hotel great half board deal inc the Ferry.
Food was good, staff friendly which help to make an excellent relaxing short Nov break
We enjoy the Isle of Wight which we re-discovered after many years.
With the charm of being stuck in time warp and having that stretch of water to cross from the main land makes all the difference.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for choosing to stay at Melville Hall Hotel & Utopia Spa for a second time and for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit. I'm delighted that you found the package deal great which did include the ferry and meals. I'm glad that you have re-discovered the Isle of Wight - it does make for a great break away with the pace being somehwat slower and, as you say, that little stretch of water does help to distance you from nornal day to day activities! I'm so pleased to hear that our friendly team helped you enjoy an excellent relaxing break and that you found the food good. I do hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to the Isle of Wight.
Brinkworth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Took advantage of a cheap Travelzoo weekend offer with my husband. Value for money the weekend was A*. The staff were fabulous and couldn't do enough for us - always smiling, willing to help and extremely professional. The room was clean and tidy but I have to say the décor was extremely tired and dated. Also took advantage of the half price treatments - body massage and pedicure. Both excellently delivered by the beautician.

Room Tip: The hotel was extremely quiet and as it was winter it was difficult to comment on the aspect - we lo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at Melville Hall Hotel & Utopia Spa on your recent visit to the Isle of Wight. I'm delighted that the package you purchased via Tripadvisor you rated as A* for value for money - you can't get better than that! The staff will be delighted to receive your feedback that you found them fabulous helpful and smiling and always willing to help - they are a great team and will be thrilled to hear that. I'm glad you found the room clean and that you were also able to make use of the incredible 50% disocunt in the spa for treatments and found both of your treatments excellent. I do hope that you will visit Melville Hall again, Many thanks.
high wycombe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was our 2nd time at melville hall, and you really cannot fault it for value for money!
We had a package that included the ferry for free!! And your 3course evening meal included. We also had 50% off any spa treatments.

The hotel is clean and the food is of good quality! It is in a good location with just a short walk
Down to the high street and beach!

We ate on our 2nd night and I can defiantly recommend the Reef Bar down by the war memorial on the beach front! It was excellent food and a nice atmosphere!!

We will definitely be going back for a 3rd visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for choosing to stay at Melville Hall Hotel & Utopia Spa for a second time and for taking the time to provide a review of your visit. I'm delighted to hear you cannot fault us on value for money as that is certainly what we aim to offer. I'm glad that you found the hotel clean and the food of good quality and the location good - it's great being in such a peaceful location yet only having to walk 5 minutes to get in to the town and seafront! I'm delighted that you are definitely going to be coming back for a 3rd visit and we will look forwrd to seeing you again then.Many thanks.
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

hotel was as expected for its rating.Enjoyed a good stay,clean and comfortable.good spa and treatment facilities.Only downside was inadequate heating in bedroom.Staff friendly and helpful.A good place to stay for exploring the i o w countryside.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at Melville Hall Hotel & Utopia Spa on your recent visit to the Isle of Wight and for taking the time to submit a review. I'm pleased that you found the hotel clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. I'm sorry you experienced a problem with the heating in your bedroom during your stay - this is something that we have now improved. I do hope that you will choose to stay at Melville Hall in the future.
Meopham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I wanted a short break before winter, and took advantage of a good travelzoo offer, which included three days bed breakfast and dinner, afternoon tea and cake every day, and the ferry crossing, all for £255. Before buying however, I contacted the hotel to enquire about single rooms. They explained that this was not included in the offer, but that they had a two bedroom suite, which was available at no extra cost. When we arrived, we eventually had our afternoon tea(after a 20 minute wait).Our suite was well decorated and comfortable, with a newly refurbished bathroom, and comfortable beds, with TV's in both rooms. The dinner menu had a choice of four meat dishes, two fish, and three vegetarian, with about six starters and four desserts. The food was well cooked and wholesome, without being cordon-bleu. On the second night we had booked to go to the Shanklin theatre, which started at 7.30 p.m., and the chef specially served dinner 1/2 an hour early to accomodate us, and saved our dessert until our return at 10 p.m. We took advantage of the half price Spa treatments, which were very reasonably priced. It was wonderful to have an individually cooked breakfast, instead of the usual buffet. All the staff were exremely pleasant and helpful, and if we were being picky, the only criticim we could make was the slowness of the afternoon teas, and also that, if you were staying longer than three days, the lack of change in the dinner menu. However, they did say that very few of their guests did stay longer than a few days. All in all, a very good hotel, and we shall definitely visit there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review for us following your stay at Melville Hall Hotel. I was really pleased to see that you enjoyed the food and that you were able to both enjoy your meal and take in the excellent performance at Shanklin Theatre.

The majority of the rooms are either twins or doubles but we do have two suites available. These feature two rooms, a double and a single, sharing an ensuite bathroom to form the suite. These have proven to be very popular, as are the special offers that we promote, especially if you are a subscriber to our newsletters where you can receive the best available deals often including free evening dinner and return car ferry travel - as you took advantage of.

I am sorry you had a small delay on serving your afternoon tea, everything is freshly prepared so the additional wait I am sure was worth it. Too many establishments tend to have everything vacuum packed and pre-portioned ready to go, something I feel is totally against our ethos of providing the best value and best quality breaks we can. We do change the set menu regularly to account for seasonal produce so i am sure there will be new dishes for you to try on your next visit.

Been to Melville Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!