“Shikara restaurant Whitley Bay” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award-winning, authentic Indian cuisine
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Shikara restaurant Whitley Bay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visited this restaurant on a busy Saturday night having booked earlier in the week. Can't fault food, decor or staff BUT as soon as we had finished eating we were asked if we would sit downstairs with a complimentary drink. On going downstairs we found a minimum of 20 plus people waiting for tables in A very small space and as there were only five (already occupied) chairs we were forced to stand in a very small space, being bumped all the time. We had gone to this restaurant with friends and certainly did not expect to have to vacate the table so quickly. On talking to a member of staff it would appear a booking is allocated for two hours only.
this was our first visit and we won't be going back, which is sad as the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good food, awful atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had booked for 7.30pm but had to spend half an hour in the very crowded bar area before being taken to our table at 8.00pm. Our table was upstairs in a corridor between the toilets/serving hatch and the bar/main restaurant area, so for the entire meal we had people constantly walking past us in both directions. Not at all conducive to enjoying the food or conversation. The restaurant was very busy and noisy and the noise seemed to echo around the hard surfaces so we could hardly hear ourselves talk. The decor is very nice and obviously a lot of expense has gone into making the restaurant look nice, but there has been little thought into making relaxing and comfortable dining areas. Downstairs it was very cold and draughty, made worse by the fact the door into the restaurant was being held open by people standing in the corridor outside waiting to get in - it was so busy the bar overspilled into the corridor.
Our starters were bought to us before we had finished the popadoms and pickles but then we had a very long wait for the main courses. The food was lovely and the starff friendly but it is a shame that all the other things that go into making a pleasant dining experience were lacking. I would not go back. Other Indian restaurants in the area may not look so trendy but provide equally good food with less hustle and bustle.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful food, excellent service and great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My first time at Shakira and I was very impressed. Iv been begging my boyfriend to take me there for ages and because he doesn't generally Indian food he never agreed, until tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and too his surprise, so did he. The food was lovely and cooked to how hot we wanted it, the staff were eager to help and explain any things we weren't sure on. And at the end when we were waiting for our taxi one of the Co owners gave us a tour and was very eager to get feedback on everything. Needless to say my boyfriend was the first to say that we'll be back, so mission accomplished! :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
england
“Great atmosphere, service and food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went here last Thursday with a party of seven. I wrote a previous review shortly after it opened and had some concerns about service. Pleased to say that it has now settled down and although the place was busy the service was great. Had my usual special with onion bahjies, chicken tikka rogan josh. Excellent is the only description I can give. we had a lovely table upstaires at the front. The decor s supurb and its worth going to the loo just to see the infinity mirrors. Thoroughly enjoyable night out my only complaint is that I ate too much but I guess thats my fault. Interesting to note that when we came out at about 10:15 there were still people waiting for a table but when we got outside many nearby resteraunts were in darkness. Speaks volumes fr the qulity ofthis place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Best Indians in Whitley bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Went to shikara for the first time this week with a group of friends...... Yes it was very busy but you'd worry if it wasn't.... We booked a table for 8.15pm then the restaurant rang and changed it to 8.30pm which wasn't a problem at all. One girl arrived first while the rest of us were running late only by 5 mins and they to.d her if we weren't there within 5 mins they were goin to give our table away to some regulars that had walked in off the street which I don't agree with at all seeing as we had booked. The staff are very friendly and helpful... The food is lovely and will def be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere